Kawasaki World banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I have a 2000 zx12r its been away for the winter weathers got better so started getting her ready to ride, tried to start battery was dead so I charged it and tried again bike jus cranked and cranked didnt fire and killed the battery again tryin to start it. So I pulled the battery gave it a good charge and while it was charging I checked my clutch cause it had been makin a weird noise everything lookd fine and put it all back together I checked and draind the gas jus to be safe put fresh 93 init and tried again and still jus crank so I tried a Little starting fluid and it fired and ran for a sec and died so i tried again and it fired but I noticed the oil light was on and bike didnt sound good clunkin sound so killd it immediately and a. Unsure wat todo know dont wanna hurt my baby if I haven't allready

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Remove the oil filter and see if it had oil in it. If not prefill it but put it on lose so it will pull oil through when it turns over. Some 12r like this for some reason. The next problem is to figure out why it isnt starting. That could fuel related from it almost starting when you used starting fluid. Or simply a very weak battery.

Lou

·
Registered
132 Posts
hi, digits.

there are several reasons why the oil light come on:-

1) check that there is sufficient oil in the engine to start with, check and top up level if required.

2) oil and oil filter hasnt been changed in ages, oil is contaminated, and is sludgy oil and filter change required(poss a flush too) to clean oil ways.

3) oil pressure low can be caused by the above, but also could be caused due to oil pump being faulty or inoperative.

4) oil pressure relief valve faulty/bloacked clogged(replace or clean and check if working correctly.

5) oil pressure switch, the probe end could have a bit of debris on causing it to give a false reading thus putting the oil warning light on the dash. remove check and clean refit test, if still comes on replace switch.

6) bike been ran with out any oil in at all (poss engine damage).further investigation required.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
If your bike didn't start then the light won't go out, cranking over wouldn't on it's own create enough pressure to make the switch go out.....double check your oil infact I would drop oil and filter and start from scratch...pre-fill the filter as suggested and then look at why she won't start....maybe check your plugs you might have fouled them up.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
blah, blah, blah.
Dude, do you ever have any original thoughts or do you just Google and respond with lists of crap you find?

You need to stop until you have some original thoughts. You are annoying me and I am pretty certain other with your blathering blanket "solutions".

Seriously.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
don't take it personally Michael :thumbup: I kinda liked that you answered the OP's queries.. I am sure there is more than one person on this site who googles stuff and posts what they find in answer to questions..
And that is why this site has gone in the shitter compared to what it was back in the .org days.

People like you and Michael who think idiotic advice like "check the oil level" is solid advice. ;-)

·
Registered
136 Posts
And that is why this site has gone in the shitter compared to what it was back in the .org days.

People like you and Michael who think idiotic advice like "check the oil level" is solid advice. ;-)
aww Blitz, I am crushed by your comments mate..

I mean when have I ever given that advice out to anyone, let alone given you reason to think I would consider it "solid advice"?? I mean oil is liquid here in NZ so it would be liquid advice don't ya think??

besides, I normally don't give out any advice, I prefer to leave it to the mega knowledgeable folk who have been around for a while and have seen it all and done it all so guys like me can sit back and skim the cream of the information on the bike I love. :thumbup:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts