Kawasaki World banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, let me 1st start by saying Hello to all. Hello! :D

I just recently purchased a replacement bike for my 01 zx6r that was stolen. Needless to say I liked the style of the Kawas from that year and was deciding between a 900 or 1200. After being of the 600 for sometime and a 00 zx12r (my buddy's) to tie me over until I got my replacement, will I went with the 02 ZX9R (was an excellent deal and just a lil under average mileage for year).

I purchased it from a dealer up north and had it shipped to me down in the south. Well, I stumbled across something very interesting when upgrading the turn signals and changing out a few other things during maintenance. I discovered a yellow and black dipswitch box near the fuse box under the seat. I traced it down to what appears to be a splice into the speed sensor. I've looked at diagrams and combed the web for suggestions. I turned up empty handed.

Could anyone tell me what type of mod this is or the reason the original owner might have done this? I called the dealer back up north and asked them about it and they seemed unsure of that as well. The box has now labels on it to identify what it is. I'm attaching a pic of this box which I relocated to rear seat compartment.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Most likely overriding the limiter, sprocket change, who knows? If it's headed down to the speed sensor, the same thing will cause the same scenario to happen 3 ways:

1. Short to ground.
2. Unknown signal [the switch box] being sent in.
3. Sensor is unplugged from the wire harness.

That means, you can cause a frequency that is a known signal the ECU understands. But if it does, it runs in that one signal only. It is no longer in analog, sending many signals meaning.

So if a sensor failed, the ECU takes action to preset itself to one set number. If that is not the ideal number, but still within range not to set off the code in the display window, you may not be at full power potential. Because the ECU takes action to save the engine, if the bike is not within range as per full power.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
that's a yellowbox speedo healer.
Most likely overriding the limiter, sprocket change, who knows? If it's headed down to the speed sensor, the same thing will cause the same scenario to happen 3 ways:

1. Short to ground.
2. Unknown signal [the switch box] being sent in.
3. Sensor is unplugged from the wire harness.

That means, you can cause a frequency that is a known signal the ECU understands. But if it does, it runs in that one signal only. It is no longer in analog, sending many signals meaning.

So if a sensor failed, the ECU takes action to preset itself to one set number. If that is not the ideal number, but still within range not to set off the code in the display window, you may not be at full power potential. Because the ECU takes action to save the engine, if the bike is not within range as per full power.
Thanks hubz14 & ZuminaZX for that info. :thumbup:

So would this cause a 1500 idle after riding for a few min? I don't think that is related but asked anyway. I do however need to get it tuned/dialed in to cuz its running a bit rich. I'm doing some research to see if it's worth me keeping it on or taking it off. Also, noticed the previous owner cut a small section of the sprocket cover out. I'm thinking this bike has seen some hard core track days. Would that be an correct assumption?

(See attachment)

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi,yes that is a yellow box speed healer,and you can change the programing in it(I have one)if you ever change your gearing.Why do you think it has had track days?As to why anyone would cut that gear cover is beyond me, I do track days and can tell you that it is not realy bad on the bike,its what it is built for,now dragracing will break shit in ahurry.

·
Registered
32 Posts
OOps,I just took a good look at your picture ,that cover is cut becouse the shift patern was reversed.sorry bout that.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, I know sports bikes are designed for track days, I just figured the previous owner made these mods to get a quicker lap time.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
OOps,I just took a good look at your picture ,that cover is cut becouse the shift patern was reversed.sorry bout that.
So, what does this allow? Easier or backwards shifts? Searching web now. I'm just your average sports bike rider. No track days under belt yet although someday I want to take a class for track day riding. That's one reason I went with a zx9r instead of a zx12r.

Edit:
Ok. After numerous of site of reading and grasping the concept. Reverse shift pattern makes sense for racing. Found 2 youtube vids via search of reverse shift pattern but one has music over shifts (
) and the other demonstrating knee drags but has a reverse shift: (
).

I'm gonna get that sprocket cover replaced as my shifting is down 1 and 5 up (standard/street shift). That cutout explains the mess near the stand and sprays of lube on my boot anyone else shoes who rides my 9r.

Thanks for all of your help.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi,your speed healer is set to correct for a 10% higher reading,stock is generaly 7%to fast so it is probably set to stock gearing.Im running 1 tooth larger on back and my settings are 4-5-6-7 on,with your ignition on you should have a yellow light in.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Hi,your speed healer is set to correct for a 10% higher reading,stock is generaly 7%to fast so it is probably set to stock gearing.Im running 1 tooth larger on back and my settings are 4-5-6-7 on,with your ignition on you should have a yellow light in.
Thanks for this info. I'll check it out this weekend. I will say that when the key is in the on position, a red light flashes and continues to flash from the speed healer. It stops when I roll the tire forward when it was on a rear stand. I'll fire it up and look for a yellow one.

You rock!:thumbup:

Update: no yellow light comes on when ignition is on or when bike it cranked up. It's just a red on.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have a new question.

I just received a replacement sprocket cover from ebay and noticed the area where the speed sensor rest is damaged. If i use the replacement cover, could this cause damage to the original speed sensor? If so, could swapping the metal plate on the inside work good enough to prevent left boot from getting lube on it when riding?

(see attached pics)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Whats happened there is the sprocket nut has come loose and damaged your replacement cover, but it will still be good to use.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts