Kawasaki World banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this subject has been talked about a million times but i cant seem to find a straight forward answer. Im putting a engine from a 04 into my 02 i have everything in and plugged up the only differences was a 12 pin connector at the neutral switch had to be cut off and replaced by the 8 pin that was on my 02 engine. I switched cam shaft sensors and i believe thats all i had to do. The bike turns over and wants to run but just wont do it. I did notice the crankshaft sensor wheel was different with alot more pins and i tried swapping them but no good. Does anyone have a list of what i should be doing i dont think i should have to re index the cam because its a 04 in a 02 but i could be wrong any help would be appreciated

·
Super Moderator
1,396 Posts
Swap the 04 exhaust cam out with your 02 cam.
Also you probably should have changed the whole neutral/gear position switch out instead of cutting and swapping the plugs.

You've already swapped the crank trigger wheel so that's ok.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Swap the 04 exhaust cam out with your 02 cam.
Also you probably should have changed the whole neutral/gear position switch out instead of cutting and swapping the plugs.

You've already swapped the crank trigger wheel so that's ok.
Thanks i appreciate the reply i only cut it because the one in my old engine the screws started stripping but i did figure out what everyone was talking about with the cam index i took the one off the exhaust cam on my old engine and swapped it onto the exhaust cam on the 04 and baam she came to life i thought i would have to sand that little nub down but when i put on for fitment purposes she lined up with the mark i made so after all that time it was the crank trigger, neutral switch, and exhaust cam index that had to be switched. Lessons learned 💯

·
Super Moderator
1,396 Posts
With the gear position switch - I've also had the screw heads strip.. I managed to hammer an 8mm(I think?) socket over the screw head and it loosened up for me with the socket wrench. Ended up swapping the screws with hex head after that

Reactions: color me gone
1 - 4 of 4 Posts