Kawasaki World banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:cry: :( :cry: :( :cry: :( It's that dreaded time again for those in the northern part of North America. Time to put the baby away for the winter (in my garage). I have changed the oil and filter, and will lower the tire pressure and pull the battery.

I have run my bike completely out of fuel.

I am just wondering if this is the best method for removing all the fuel?

It won't start now if I try as it has no gas. With my old 89 ZX10 it was as simple as shutting the fuel flow valve and run it dry.

·
Registered
7,910 Posts
The best thing you can do is top off the tank, and fill the appropriate amount of Fuel Sta-Bil in it. Shake it around real good, and then start the bike up so that its got the treated fuel in all the injectors and such....

Sta-Bil is good stuff, its manufactured by Golden Eagle, and you can get it at your local auto parts store. Its real cheap insurance...

·
Registered
318 Posts
I have run my bike completely out of fuel.
Why :?:

From what I understand - Running the fuel out on carb'ed bikes was a bad thing. It dry roted out gaskets and floats.

What you should have done is filled it all the way up with fuel, not run it all out. Fill it up, put some Stabil in the fuel (as directed), run the engine for 5 to 10 minutes to get the Stabil all the way through the fuel system, shut the motor off and you're done.

You've change the oil so that's done. Lowering the air in the tires won't hurt. You need to get the wheels off the ground though (via front and rear bike stands).

Battery would do well to be put on a Battery Tender.

It wont hurt to cover the bike either....

With all the above done, the bike should do just fine over the winter...

·
Registered
561 Posts
no gas in the system for an extended period of time = corrosion;

As T^2 noted above, fill er up, add Stabil and run it for a few minutes (fuel injection doesn't take long to purge system), say goodnight :D.

I had to replace the tank on my CBX, and rebuild all 6 carbs due to an extended dry fuel system :oops:

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys,
I will fill it up and add Sta-Bil to the gas.

Do I have to fill the tank completely or can I just use a couple of litres and mix the needed amount of Sta-Bil? :oops:

·
Registered
318 Posts
HappyCamper said:
Thanks guys,
I will fill it up and add Sta-Bil to the gas.

Do I have to fill the tank completely or can I just use a couple of litres and mix the needed amount of Sta-Bil? :oops:
Yes you need to fill the tank completely to prevent corrosion (inside your tank) as entropy2 noted....

·
Registered
5,647 Posts
I am fortunate enough to have a heated garage to keep my bikes in during the winter months. I keep all my tanks full. Put them all on stands. Then I start and run them up to temp, once every two weeks.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I am fortunate enough to have a heated garage to keep my bikes in during the winter months. I keep all my tanks full. Put them all on stands. Then I start and run them up to temp, once every two weeks.
I've read that for various reasons it's better to let it set that to start it periodically. Keeping the tank full is good. But if you are going to have that same tank of gas in there all winter then you should probably add fuel stabilizer to prevent the gas from going bad and turning to varnish....

[/b]

·
Registered
7,910 Posts
You can get Sta-Bil (fuel stabilizer) at just about any auto parts store (Checker/Kraagen-Shucks, etc).

You're a petroleum engineer Vinnie, aren't you supposed to know these things.... :lol: You really work at McDonalds, don't you!!!! I here there opening McDonalds in China, thats what you're gonna be doing, ain't it? :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Shit! Caught me! Please keep it quiet though, Blitz. Petrol. engineer sounds so much more professional than "french fry cook trainer".

·
Registered
344 Posts
Your better off not starting it all. Use the Stabil, make sure the tank is full and LEAVE IT ALONE.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
VinnieZX12R said:
What's Sta-bil??? I don't think they sell it in Houston. :D :wink:
Hey, even where I live, I use Sta-bil. I always put some in my mowers and weedeaters. In the winter months, my grass goes dorment and the mowers don't get used alot. The Sta-bil keeps the 'crud' from building up in the carbs.

·
Registered
5,647 Posts
I agree with the fuel part to this toppic but I believe running my bikes, which mean, bringing up to a good temp, and snicking through the gears, is helpful in keeping parts lubricated and free. As far as the gas goes, I do run fuel stabilizer, just failed to mention it. Besides...it gives me the fever to ride every time they run.... :D

·
Registered
447 Posts
Winter

The So. Cal boys are getting ready for winter also. New tires, check the brakes, and put on a sweat shirt before we go riding.

:D

·
Registered
267 Posts
Hmm, wonder what I am doing wrong. I fill the tank, Stabil it, put on the Battery Tender every few weeks. And ride whenever it's possible.

Still too early for winterising: there is at least 6 - 8 weeks left in the riding season in central NH.
The Weather Channel is predicting a bit of snow / mix for the weekend, but there is a whole bunch of biking activity planned:
the NH Concours Owners Group is having a cookout in Ossippee, and the NE group is hosting the Fall Foliage weekend in the Catskills, and I may have to deliver the R11GS to its new owner in south-west NH on Sunday.
so I guess will just have to bring out the electrics and ride.

The big plus about not fully winterising the bike is that I can go out for a spin on the days when the snow on the driveway is not too slippery and the salt is off the roads.

That way I have managed to ride on New Year's day, commute right through December last year and 99, and start commuting in early March in 98 :D

And do a tour through a northern Maine snowstorm in early October, as well as commute home in a wet 3" snowstorm this year. :shock:

But it helps keep the non-riding blues away...

·
Registered
9,974 Posts
Let's see...I'm in south florida, the girls are still wearing those damn
little G strings...the days are a little shorter, um, oh yeah, I need
to break out a long sleeve shirt...

I CAN'T IMAGINE GOING SEVERAL MONTHS WITHOUT RIDING!!!!

Do you spend all summer learning how to ride again after being off
the bike so long?????

Sorry for busting your balls so hard...you could always ship your bike
down here and I promise to warm up the tires once a week!!!!

Or better yet, send it down and I'll let all the chicks sit on it naked!!! :shock: :shock:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts