Kawasaki World banner
61 - 80 of 110 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
Again, great McGyvering!

Btw Don, what radiator hose kit did you end up putting on your 12?
I'm looking at the AS3 kit

·
Super Moderator
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
I unbolted the front calipers and spun the wheel - didnt spin for long..
Bearings and seals were already on my to do list.
Picked up some good quality NSK VV bearings. Front hub seals are ZX10 part number, same size, just newer? Thought I'd just try them.
Sleeve Font Material property Rectangle Electric blue

Wheel off, old seals out. Not the original bearings or seals. Didn't matter too much I guess but seals were 7mm wide instead of factory 5mm .
Automotive design Automotive tire Audio equipment Bicycle part Motor vehicle

More McGyvering here - I learnt this trick from one of NinjaYorkie's posts..
Take one dynabolt
Cylinder Office supplies Auto part Font Metal

Expand the end of it into the bearing, and knock it out from the opposite side.
Automotive tire Vehicle Bumper Automotive lighting Rim

Clean enough. Knock the bearing into this side first and seat it on the lip. Install circlip against it. Then from the other side insert the spacer tube and knock the other bearing in.
Automotive tire Bicycle part Rim Font Auto part

New bearings and seals done
Camera accessory Camera lens Cameras & optics Lens Flash photography

The wheel: Red valve cap has already made its way to my daughter's bicycle..
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Locking hubs Synthetic rubber

Not entirely happy with the condition of this rotor. Would be a bit lighter than OEM, its thinner too.
Light Bicycle part Vehicle brake Automotive tire Rim

A little while ago I scored a set of very low mile and great condition rotors from CMG, which came from his "Winter Blues" project bike. Think I might use these. Or I've got a set of 320mm's from a B1 I could use with some caliper spacers.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle brake Alloy wheel Hubcap

Have some more bits from the ZX10 parts bin on the way. Right angled valve stem. Already fitted one to my B6 last time I had a new tyre fitted.
Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive design

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
Good tip from Ninjayorkie!

I bought the AS3 kit too. I had to reuse one of the oem hoses from I think the radiator overflow to reservoir tank as the AS3 hose was too thick and would push out on the side fairing. You'll find out when you fit them. Otherwise seem to be a good kit.

·
Super Moderator
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
Daughters bike has to look good too!
Nice work. The Braking rotor won’t clean up?

cmg
Not sure what I can do about the gouge in the rotor.. I'll look into it.

Good tip from Ninjayorkie!

I bought the AS3 kit too. I had to reuse one of the oem hoses from I think the radiator overflow to reservoir tank as the AS3 hose was too thick and would push out on the side fairing. You'll find out when you fit them. Otherwise seem to be a good kit.
Price of the AS3 kit looks good. Did you buy the clamp set too? Thanks for the info!

·
Super Moderator
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
The Braking rotor won’t clean up?

cmg
Weights:
OEM 300mm, 6mm thick (min 5.5mm) - 1620g
Braking 300mm, 5mm thick (min 4.25mm) - 1415g
OEM 320mm, 4.8mm thick (min 4.5mm) - 1385g

Reactions: color me gone

·
Super Moderator
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
Pulled off a bit more to do some cleaning. Also swapping the rear subframe with one I've got in better condition.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Fender Vehicle

Thought I'd grease up all the bearings while I'm at it. 04-06 dont come with grease nipples. I had one from an 03 that I've put in instead.
Bicycle part Gas Auto part Metal Art

Pulled the rear wheel out. The axle wouldnt budge at all! I had to knock it out with a drift and a fairly solid hammer!
Aftermarket bearings have been installed in the past - I cant even turn these at all by hand!
Theres a chance I tightened them up when knocking the axle out, but oh well - definitely getting swapped with the new NSK's I bought last week.
Automotive tire Wheel Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Locking hubs

Reactions: color me gone

·
Super Moderator
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
I wonder why the later models didn't have grease nipples?
Cost cutting? People banging the nipples on speed humps?

Thats odd, mine is a B3H (2004) WITH nipples.

Bear
Interesting, maybe they had a changeover? This one is October 2004.
My 06 definitely doesn't have nipples and the parts diagram reflects this.

1 job now made easier!

Reactions: Duck00

·
Super Moderator
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
Ended up pulling the swingarm and checking the bearings and seals. Changed out the RH seal only.
Rear wheel and carrier bearings with seals changed too. Everything else around there cleaned up while it was apart.
Local shop that did my injector service (5 mins down the road) lent me the socket to tighten the swingarm shaft lock nut. Awesome guys.
Gave the carbon hugger a clean and put it back on. Looking sweet.
Making progress, hopefully my other Kawasaki spare parts from Japan arrive this week so I get a few things sorted

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood Vehicle

·
Super Moderator
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
Street bikes don't really need those zerks. The suspension has very little travel and those bearings should be inspected/repacked anyway rather than just blindly pumped full of grease.
Hmmm.. Well at least I've checked out the condition of the bearings and the sleeves. The bearings in the earlier unitrak I reinstalled were in better condition than what came off the bike - They were dry with bits of plastic flaking off the insides of the rollers.
Really good looking hugger.

cmg
Yep I thought that too with the hugger, well finished off.
Cheers guys

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
Hmmm.. Well at least I've checked out the condition of the bearings and the sleeves. The bearings in the earlier unitrak I reinstalled were in better condition than what came off the bike - They were dry with bits of plastic flaking off the insides of the rollers.
Yep, the decision to go with plastic cage bearings instead of cageless bearings is actually a move in anticipation of little/no lubrication or maintenance!

·
Super Moderator
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 ·
Yuk..
Finger Gas Machine Engineering Metal

Pads not too flash either
Road surface Asphalt Rectangle Gas Font

Everything cleaned up, Pistons polished up ok. Just waiting for a seal kit to arrive from the local dealer.
White Font Material property Pattern Art

Factory giant under tail flap has appeared - I still need to have the bike inspected for registration once I've got it going again. Also put a stock tail light in, instead of the smoked LED tail/flasher/combo
Wheel Tire Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting

61 - 80 of 110 Posts