Kawasaki World banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this may be a bit off topic, but the question has risen, so here we go.

For a time now I have reigned supreme in my group of friends on the 12R. Now, having been back seat for too long my best buddy has made steps to aquire a ZX10, a new one off the show room floor.

My bike is a 05 ZX12R, gutted cat with the ignition module and TPS mod. Otherwise bone stock.

Where do I stand? I know the 10 will best me in the extreme twistys(he can ride). But as far as brute force, cast iron, ass kickin straight line drag(I can ride too) where will I be? We are about the same weight, and I may be just a tad better at the handles than him(maybe).

Thanks,

·
Registered
448 Posts
Fastest bike 0-180mph zx10r 08

http://www.bikeland.org/board/viewthread.php?TID=39520&FID=24

0 - 60 mph (0 - 96,54 km/h)

Suzuki Hayabusa 2,58
Kawasaki ZX-14 2,62
Ducati 1098R 2,76
Suzuki GSX-R1000 2,78
Kawasaki ZX-10R 2,84
MV Agusta F4 312 RR 1078 2,84
Yamaha YZF-R1 2,86
Ducati 1098 2,89
Honda CBR1000RR 2,89

1/4 mile

Suzuki Hayabusa 9,[email protected],0
Kawasaki ZX-14 9,[email protected],2
Suzuki GSX-R1000 9,[email protected],5
Kawasaki ZX-10R 10,[email protected],4
Ducati 1098R 10,[email protected],0
Honda CBR1000RR 10,[email protected],0
MV Agusta F4 312 RR 1078 10,[email protected],2
Yamaha YZF-R1 10,[email protected],6
Ducati 1098 10,[email protected],4

Top speed

Kawasaki ZX-14 301,3
MV Agusta F4 312 RR 1078 300,9
Suzuki Hayabusa 298,8
Suzuki GSX-R1000 298,1
Ducati 1098R 297,2
Kawasaki ZX-10R 296,9
Yamaha YZF-R1 294,9
Honda CBR1000RR 289,7
Ducati 1098 262,9

0 - 180 mph

Kawasaki ZX-10R 17,21
MV Agusta F4 312 RR 1078 17,98
Suzuki Hayabusa 18,25
Suzuki GSX-R1000 18,51
Kawasaki ZX-14 19,77
Ducati 1098R 21,01
Honda CBR1000RR 21,03
Yamaha YZF-R1 21,07
Ducati 1098 N/A

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
The rider will make the difference here.. Either bike can beat the other or either bike can lose to the other depending on the rider.. I have owned both at one time and the 10R won every time I compared.. It's not as fast top end as the 12R, BUT finding someone to race you for a long enough distance for you to overcome the advantage the 10R stroked on you very quickly is hard to do. That's a fools race... Pound for pound with equally weighted riders you won't beat the 10R.. It's over 100 pounds lighter than the 12 and a properly tuned and modded 10R makes the same power as the best 12 or busa or 14 makes. They all three make more torque which you might think will save them BUT overcoming that weight they carry more than eats that advantage.. Which is why from 0 to 180 nothing beats the 10. It's light and it rolls... I suspect Ship will roll out a video of his 12 whipping up on a 10.. And video don't lie... Ship is above (far above ) the average rider in skills and far below in weight... His 12R is no slouch either..

·
Registered
990 Posts
Assuming weight and skills are aproxx. the same.....->

Make sure you got a new rear tyre and race roll from 2n on a road you know it grips.You'll pull him just fine.
In any other situation you're probably smoked.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So in short I'm going to have to work hard to beat the 10... I expected as much.

I had a feeling the weight of the bike would play a big role in acceleration, and I never expected to shame it in the curves. So a riders race it is, wouldent have it any other way.

Thanks guys, keep it coming.

·
Registered
20 Posts
From a dead stop, it's all about the rider....if you can launch, he'll never catch up... I see guys all the time with their new gixxer 1000/ZX10/R1's (some with pipes and other mods) at the track and most run low to mid
11's... only the pros (or a verry good amateur) can break 10 on the new liter bikes... on the other hand, i'm not a pro and can do low 10's all day after only a few practice runs on my completely stock 12...

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
From a dead stop, it's all about the rider....if you can launch, he'll never catch up... I see guys all the time with their new gixxer 1000/ZX10/R1's (some with pipes and other mods) at the track and most run low to mid
11's... only the pros (or a verry good amateur) can break 10 on the new liter bikes... on the other hand, i'm not a pro and can do low 10's all day after only a few practice runs on my completely stock 12...
lol, sounds like you race against the same kinda people i do. even the big bad stretched out 14s only run mid tens out here. there is one local that cracks into the tens every now and then on his zx10r, along with another dude riding 9r with nos that can run a 10.7. then this past friday, my first night racing the 12 since september of last year, i ran a 10.1. oops.

back on topic: i think i would try drag racing him if i were you. simple things like doing a 17t front sprocket and some three hole lowering links will be very effective, cheap, and easy to change back and forth. i also have a friend with a new zx10r and he ran mid elevens on it at the track. it has a bunch of wacky electronic control crap on it that makes it damn near impossible to launch hard (either that or he just sucks ass at the strip), so im pretty sure you have this one in the bag.

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
That comparo above isn't worth much considering all of those bikes are geared differently.
It's also worth mentioning that the newer liter bikes are all in a much better state of tune from the factory than the now 10 year old 12. Most feature titanium valves, excellent heads, and more. It's been said time and time again, but you'll need a piston kit, a quality exhaust, minor head work, and some experience launching the beast to dominate most stock liters.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Wouldn't start comparing myself, the 12 is a 12 and nothing out there looks like it. The 12 is unique compared to other bikes quick look on fleabay tells you that, over here there are 10 for sale and there are 126 R1's the word common comes to mind.

·
Registered
990 Posts
The stock 10 is actually slower than the past 10s'.Unrestricted it is the fastet 1000 since it has some serious head work.Not just grinded ports but also tapered by the factory!With the ti valves and stuff mentioned before..

So regarding the new 10,if restrected you wont push 6th gear in.If unrestricted start fron 2nd roll..

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
The stock 10 is actually slower than the past 10s'.Unrestricted it is the fastet 1000 since it has some serious head work.Not just grinded ports but also tapered by the factory!With the ti valves and stuff mentioned before..

So regarding the new 10,if restrected you wont push 6th gear in.If unrestricted start fron 2nd roll..

There hasn't been an 08 or 09 10R break 200 at Maxton or any LSR event that I'm aware of...( Chad Millholland has been 202 on his 04 ) We had one 08 around here that was as uncorked as it gets and both my 05 and Chad Millhollands 04 sent it home with a beating... Well sorta... Chads bike destroyed the 08 and my bike beat Chads 7 out of 8 runs so.. The 08 had a Milled & Massaged head , Kawi cam. Full Ak, yada yada yada.... It posted over 180 Hp on the same dyno that my own 10R posted 174 on and Chads posted 160 something.... Both my 10 and chads have the exact same work except different pipes... Both STOCK PISTONS, Coby Adams cylinder head, Kawi Cam,My head isn't decked I can't say about Chads, Both our 10Rs have whipped every stock piston 12, 14, and Busa that has ever challenged.. Even a few that weren't stock pistoned...

I own these bikes for nothing more than a thrill. At one time I had 2 12Rs because I believed they were nasty fast (and they are) I now own NO 12 and only 10Rs.. ( I do want a 12R back to collect)

The point to telling you all this information is ---------------> BIG DYNO NUMBERS MEAN ABSOLUTELY NOTHING !!! The 08 does post big numbers But the combination isn't there to allow it to accelerate thru the rev range like the 04/05 does once it has been opened up the same. If the 08/09 was the way to go I would own one and so would Chad.. The 12R is indeed beautiful and most likely won't ever be equaled in that area.. The 10R is JUST NASTY !! And the way things seem to be going the 04/05 will never be equaled in that department. Yamaha has totally fucked their R1 up with it's Cross FUCKED crank. Kawi didn't do it in 08/09 and the 2010 model looks to be a repeat with the 2011 model slated to be a BIG BANG motor. ( A BIG FUCK UP like YAMAHA most likely) They need to get a clue what works on the race track don't make a good street motor... :banghead: And Honda well it's a Honda nice fit and finish but weak when you compare modded bikes mod for mod... Always have been..

The 14 is the STUD all except for the fucked up cast on cylinder to the top case.. ANOTHER Kawi BRAIN FART... I'm actually surprised someone hasn't whipped up a set of cases for the 14 to replace the OE units and separate the cylinder. They wouldn't be cheap but the hard core motorheads would pay whatever..

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
Without the same riders, it is hard to compare different bikes. I haven't seen an 08-09 10R at Maxton....yet.

·
Banned
5,436 Posts
On paper the 10 should run away from you if he isn't too low in the rpms during the roll-on...100 lbs less weight. In the wrong gear and the 12 has more torque. Most guys "fit" better on the bigger bikes vs the smaller liters (aero advantage to the 12 theoretically in this case).

Go -1 up front and practice going WOT on your bike a LOT. Remove unneccesary weight from the bike....practice ... that will make the biggest difference.

The 12 has the advantage with less wheelies out the gate than the 10R. 80 mph roll-on the 10 can be in 1st gear, the 12 needs to be in 2nd. Lowering the 12 will help you more but you will get crushed in the twisties against a stock ride height 10R.

A.

·
Registered
990 Posts
There hasn't been an 08 or 09 10R break 200 at Maxton or any LSR event that I'm aware of...( Chad Millholland has been 202 on his 04 ) We had one 08 around here that was as uncorked as it gets and both my 05 and Chad Millhollands 04 sent it home with a beating... Well sorta... Chads bike destroyed the 08 and my bike beat Chads 7 out of 8 runs so.. The 08 had a Milled & Massaged head , Kawi cam. Full Ak, yada yada yada.... It posted over 180 Hp on the same dyno that my own 10R posted 174 on and Chads posted 160 something.... Both my 10 and chads have the exact same work except different pipes... Both STOCK PISTONS, Coby Adams cylinder head, Kawi Cam,My head isn't decked I can't say about Chads, Both our 10Rs have whipped every stock piston 12, 14, and Busa that has ever challenged.. Even a few that weren't stock pistoned...

I own these bikes for nothing more than a thrill. At one time I had 2 12Rs because I believed they were nasty fast (and they are) I now own NO 12 and only 10Rs.. ( I do want a 12R back to collect)

The point to telling you all this information is ---------------> BIG DYNO NUMBERS MEAN ABSOLUTELY NOTHING !!! The 08 does post big numbers But the combination isn't there to allow it to accelerate thru the rev range like the 04/05 does once it has been opened up the same. If the 08/09 was the way to go I would own one and so would Chad.. The 12R is indeed beautiful and most likely won't ever be equaled in that area.. The 10R is JUST NASTY !! And the way things seem to be going the 04/05 will never be equaled in that department. Yamaha has totally fucked their R1 up with it's Cross FUCKED crank. Kawi didn't do it in 08/09 and the 2010 model looks to be a repeat with the 2011 model slated to be a BIG BANG motor. ( A BIG FUCK UP like YAMAHA most likely) They need to get a clue what works on the race track don't make a good street motor... :banghead: And Honda well it's a Honda nice fit and finish but weak when you compare modded bikes mod for mod... Always have been..

The 14 is the STUD all except for the fucked up cast on cylinder to the top case.. ANOTHER Kawi BRAIN FART... I'm actually surprised someone hasn't whipped up a set of cases for the 14 to replace the OE units and separate the cylinder. They wouldn't be cheap but the hard core motorheads would pay whatever..
Yeap!The 04 10 is a race bike allright even at stock form!Most racers would go on the track with the stock rear shock!
After all that the 12 is still the best choice for everything...

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
difference.

The 12 has the advantage with less wheelies out the gate than the 10R. 80 mph roll-on the 10 can be in 1st gear, the 12 needs to be in 2nd. Lowering the 12 will help you more but you will get crushed in the twisties against a stock ride height 10R.

A.
Ship,
My10R will still remove your teeth at 90 mph in second gear.. I would never whack it WFO at 80 in first... You will probably die doing that :headscratch:

Guys no one living loves the 12R more than I do. It's a work of art and a masterful piece of engineering far ahead of it's time when it was done. It's only downfall is HEAVY piston side loading once you start stroking the motor, and with the motor placement in the frame as it was designed a TALLER deck that would allow for a longer rod to ease this problem just isn't possible. It is what it is... You can stoke her but she won't live long.. So engine size compared to it's top competition the BUSA is limited..:thumbdown: BUT CC for CC the 12R stomps the guts OUT OF THE BUSA ! Sadly though the 10R covers the 12 in the same situation.. AND 1080cc 3 mill 10Rs will make high 190s in the Hp department. Still smaller by far than the 12 or Busa or 14...

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
Shane we race mainly on a vacant HWY much like Ship does.. Long enough to bump the limiter in 6th... 90% of the time from a roll to take as much rider talent out of the equation as possible..Making it bike for bike.. With the exception that most riders can't shift worth a shit even at that.. As for Chad he needs no explaining where he races his stuff. You know how all this works Shane.. It's a close circle of people in any given area with fast stuff. AND then there's the rest. The rest sort their self out and that guy moves up the chain.. Finally reaching the real group of fast bikes and finding out if indeed he belongs there or gets sent back to crawl back up the chain... Thus eliminating the need for the truly fast bikes to race every fucker in town that just purchased what he thinks is the rocket of all time. So a few times a summer the phones ring and we all meet up to take down or be taken down by some new guy that has worked his way up by beating someone notable and known to have a fast bike... We break into classes by power adders just like any organization would. You aren't running a turbo or sprayed bike against a lunger and declare yourself King of the hill. You can be king of said group of peers. As much as I love the 10R it's not beating a sprayed or blown motor. It's not beating a stretched and slammed bike from the hole. Common sense rain supreme...

1 - 20 of 83 Posts