Kawasaki World banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My name is Steve aka srsupertrap (first & last initials then supertrap). I am dedicated motorcycle gearhead and I recently scored a 81 GPz550 which has been stored inside for 27 years with a good title. The PO (Dave: See Classified Section "1981 GPz550 #25 ...") really liked this jewel because it had the following done back in the 1980's.

•Moriwaki Big Bore & Moriwaki Cams (The Subject), slotted cam sprockets
•Yosh 4 into 1, 26mm Mikuni Flatslides w K&N's, polished ports
•Superbike forkbrace & Fox Street Shox etc

Yes I am old, remember and rode Z-1's too. I am in the process of restoring this jewel but I need specification help. I currently have the valve cover off, identified the Moriwaki Cams but I have no idea what Moriwaki specified the valve lash to be. If anyone has the Moriwaki cams installation instructions in their magazine collection, aftermarket catalog, performance archive etc please let me know. I am really looking for the Moriwaki GPz550 cam installation instructions which specify: Opening & Closing, Centerline Angle, Lift & valve lash. I have contacted a Moriwaki importer . . . . . no reply so far.

TIA & here are some photos of the project which I hope you like.

TIA & Merry Christmas,
Steve

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Bike looks great, it out to scream and be a total blast to ride with all those engine mods. I had an 81 GPz 550 way back in 1984. Great little machine. Wish I had taken better care of it. I pretty much destroyed it it 14 months and 23,000 miles.. :( Please tell me though that you are going to strip and repaint that header black.....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Have ever intention of repainting the Yosh with VHT High Temp black down the road. . . . have to time the cams first and I need Moriwaki Specs for that.

Yesterday I measured the Intake & Exhaust cams cam lobe lift and both cams measure 8.25 mm lift. (36.25 - 28.00mm)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the lead, PM sent to Moriwaki Man and I will let how things turn out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts