Kawasaki World banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
1985 VF1000R. This bike has been garage kept. I purchased it about 8.5 years ago; it had been in a relatively minor front collision. I replaced most of the front bodywork. The upper was purchased new and is a 1986 fairing. The fuel tank is a Euro-spec model. I also have a dual headlight conversion for it. At the time of purchase it had 17k miles, it now has 23500 miles on it.

Unfortunately I started taking it apart to do minor restoration about 4.5 years ago and it has sat since. It will need gone over, carbs rebuilt, fluids changed, etc. Basically a restoration effort typical for a 25 year-old machine. But this one is clean, garage kept, no rust, etc...

The bodywork alone was about $2k new. I have the pictured f2 wheel for conversion purposes, along with the original comstar type. The shock was rebuilt by Daugherty and a ride-height adjustment added.

Even though this bike needs some work to get going, you won't find many that have spent their lives in a garage as this one has. I would like to get $1600 for it, as it sits.

Here is how it sits now:

Before I took it apart:

I'm not interested in any ultra-lowball offers. I'd like to find someone who will restore and appreciate the machine. Would also consider a ZX-14 motor in trade.

Located in Virginia.

·
Registered
658 Posts
How is the motor. That was about the mileage on my 85 vf1000r when it went :( I would love to have another one!

·
Registered
658 Posts
How is the motor. That was about the mileage on my 85 vf1000r when it went :( I would love to have another one!
Also, which wheels go with it? The white ones are not stock?!

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It always ran good for me, no indication of any problems. But thanks for scaring everyone away! :lol:

I have the stock wheels, and I have that white F2 rear wheel. Daugherty motorsports has some adapters so you can use F2 wheels and the radial tires.

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
beautiful bike... does it need any paint?
On the side of the tank, where the petcock is, needs painted. It had a leak from the factory and is brazed there. Clean repair and it is hidden when the petcock stuff is installed, but the paint needs touched up there. Not a huge area.

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i'd buy it right now if we weren't almost 9 hours apart. planning any trips to cincinnati any time soon?:rotflmao:
No, but I am headed up to Maine next week...besides, 9 hours is nothing. You waste that much on sleep some nights I bet! :lol:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Was wondering if you sold her, or if you still have the VF? I'll be coming up to NC to pick up an 85 and VA isnt that much further. Thanks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts