Kawasaki World banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am rebuilding a 1986 Z1000 A. I have it and a parts bike. They both have rod bearing issues. I am trying to find the best solution to fixing this problem on a budget. With it being an 86' I need help finding the appropriate parts and making sure I am building the strongest engine possible. Any info or assistance would be appriciated. I have looked at other forums and found that most don't work on these bikes. This particular Kaw ran from 86-87. A lot of these have had this issue and I hear that there is a fix to keep this from happening again and a way to repair. Any assistance would be much appriciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
25,371 Posts
tradition - Welcome here!! :thumbup::thumbup:

Sorry to hear you're having a problem on your Z... Many Kawa inline 4s have similar issues @ #3 rod bearing and/or #3 crank position...

I don't have an answer for you, but you might find help in the ZX-11 braintrust here... Be patient - there's a lot of smart folks here (I'm just not one of 'em!!)...

:lol::lol:

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I can help you on this, just have to do some searches and seek back into the archives on my brain.

My best buddy Mal (RIP) blew his '99 ZX-11 up. #3 failure, blah, blah blah...

We rebuilt her from scratch. Falicon did the crank and we had the oil pan modded by.... its on the tip of my tongue - just need to do some searching. But it's what you need.

Let me keep searching. I put up a huge blow by blow on the old zx-12r.org about this, but I am having trouble finding it via search here on kawasakiworld.com

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh man, that would be awesome if you could find it. I want to repair the issue and make sure it doesn't happen again. I want to rebuild this bike as strong as possible and really make a statement with my Z1000. I am on the Z1000 forum as well looking for help and most of the guys there work on 2003 and up. I like all their bike but I want my old/new school bike to turn heads by the way it sounds and the way it looks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes. Kawasaki calls it 1986/1987 kawasaki z1000r a1 or a2. I have seen it many different ways but yes that's my baby.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Your sure its listed a Z1000R and not ZX1000 A1?

The common colloquial street name was 1000 Ninja or Ninja 1000R...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I went to a bike shop near my house and researched. The name we came up with is what you said. 1986 Zx1000 A1, the A2 is for the 1987 model. Does anyone know about the getting more oil to the crank. I heard that you can get a better oil pump. Does anyone know what pump would increase pressure and over all oil system performance?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts