Kawasaki World banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to buy this bike and i'm really not finding too much about it. It's the tri-color anniversary edition. It has 14k miles on it, kerkers, pods, and carbs have been upjetted. The price seems right at $1250. I can't find out the longevity of the average motor. Or do these bikes come with gremlins? or mpgs?

I ride my Honda VF700s daily and was looking for a change of pace.

Thanks advance for any input!

·
Registered
4,267 Posts
All bikes have gremlins. For that price, I'd snap it up provided it runs decent. Kawasaki always builds bulletproof motors that run forever, used for typical street use and occasional fun. It's priced right for what it is.

To give you an idea, I had its big brother, the 1000R and despite the electrical issues that bike had, it never burned a drop of oil or made any scary odd noises and ran strong when it ran good. It had almost 40,000 miles on it.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Tri color anniversary addition? What anniversary? Or is that just what the seller is saying.. 85's in the US came in Red black and silver and a Red gray and silver. The red/gray/silver was a little less common than the red black silver. I had a red black silver 85 myself. Fun bike, lots of top end power for back in the day. 16 inch front wheel will make finding decent tires a little harder. Seating position is fair conformatable. If its all there and not beat to death and runs decent 1250 is definitely a fair price. Nice ones bring 2500 or more and really nice ones will bring 4000 or more.

·
Registered
220 Posts
86 GPZ900 (Canada) was red white and blue.

The two motor problems I know of is cam pitting (I remade the oil feed pipes and lapped the oil pressure reg) and the starter clutch (IIRC - the zx11 one is an upgrade) Mine has 40K and starts every am for the commute to work. I avoided pods and have a common K&N air, 4in1 exhaust, and 137 jet, ignition timing advancer and zx12 stick coils. They have a steel gas tank so internal corrosion can become an issue, I coated mine.

G

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Yep the USA 86 was red white and blue as well. Also the Ninja stickers were moved and the blinkers double as front running lights. Damn good looking machine....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts