Kawasaki World banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased my zx9r, 1998 model, and I found that the 3rd and 4th input and output gears were stripped so I purchased a used set of cluster gears and swapped them out. After shortening the shaft to fit the clutch release mechanism and installing the clutches I can not shift gears. The shifter moves freely but acts as if it is stuck between gears. I did not remove any shift linkage from the case and did not remove the shift tube that controls the shift forks. I am lost for causes. Thanks for any ideas on what my new problem may be.

·
Registered
342 Posts
from a 98-2000 model they had issues as a design flaw. I think if I'm right an E or F gear stack works or post 2000 and just shorten the input shaft ( I think!)

Have you checked the fork? If its worn due to the gears chipping away this could be an option

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The forks looked ok I checked them before installing the new clusters. The clusters spin freely in the case but for some reason the shifter will not change the gears. It acts as if the fork tube is bound up but I have no idea what could have caused it to bind up. Everything went in freely and with no problems.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts