Kawasaki World banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently switched to CZ rims with CZ rotors. When I did this, the rotors warped in one day. I had to switch to my OEM rims and rotors. I did this and my front brakes maintained perfect all night after riding very hard.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Should I have problems with my stock 6 pot Tokicos with modern floating wave rotors?

Also, what are my options for calipers on the 2000 A1 ZX12R if I want to replace them?

Thanks in advance for any help on this.

·
Registered
239 Posts
The calipers should be fine with those rotors, warping is caused by the pads not retracting which is usually caused by damaged seals or rust/dirt on the pistons.

Ensure that the pistons can be pushed back easily with finger pressure, if so, they're OK.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Did you change your brake lever ? Have you ever changed the brake fluid ? Also check the level in the MC to make sure its not over filled.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Should I have problems with my stock 6 pot Tokicos
If you're utterly obsessed by maintenance, then no, you should have no trouble with the 6 pots. However, if you actually prefer to ride the bike then get shot of them and replace with almost anything else :thumbup:

A few on here, including myself, went for a bracket and radial calipers off the R1 although on a budget you can get away with 4 pots of a Bandit or similar.

·
Registered
5,120 Posts
You could also try a set of axial brembos with adapter plates. I have a set of goldline 4 pads somewhere on the garage I've been meaning to try.

·
Registered
480 Posts
What most people don't realize is the bottoms of the forks will screw off and the brake mounts can be swapped. Now the factory didn't intend for people to take them apart but I've done it. There's a set screw that has to be machined out that is put there for life or longer but a Bridgeport and a carbide cutter will set it free. Most all the fork legs are 43mm between the 10R, 12R, 14. Simply swap it out or swap out the whole fork tube that will work and be easier.. Front ends for 10R's and 14's are a dime a dozen compared to 04, 05 model 12R fronts which are rare. Just some FYI that might ease the pain. Front wheels will swap between a 10R and 14 meaning the spacing for the lower legs are the same from the center line. I can't say about the spacing on the trees I've never measured it. At worst you may have to do some rotor spacing one way or the other..

·
Registered
5,120 Posts
That's true. I had my tubes TiNed which required removal of the axle mount. I have a set of 0' offset rotors that would probably make the 14 swap possible as long as the bin widths are the same.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts