Kawasaki World banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:?: :?: :?: :?:

Anyone ever heard about this bike? Is it really anything special and if so, what its value is? I mean everything is only worth what someone would pay for it... I have a line on one w/ 1600 miles and a few hop up stuff, lots of C/F, undertail exhaust(aftermarket),etc.... and I cannot find a pricing guide that list the bike at all... Thanks guys in advance!

Steve

ps 2000 Duc 748R, 1600 miles Yellow/Black/C-F, Metz tires I think :?:

·
Registered
649 Posts
Steve.. that guy Mark that was with me Sunday on the APRILLA has a DUCATI also (not sure which one)..could have'm give ya a call if you want.

·
4,208 Posts
actually I rode one.......a friend of mine had one .......Nice machine great handling......but to be honest ......its a lil wheeezy.......the 916 rides the same but more power.......its not particularly that much slowewr ...but it does have to work harder.......the heat from the undertail exhaust can cook you in traffice ...but thats the same as the 916 ,,,,if its a good price...Go for it.......Brian

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I dont know a lot about Ducati's but are you sure it is a 748R, maybe it is an S or Biposto? OR just 748? Because the last threee are he onl ones i know of since 1997 when they came out. If it is an S depending on condition (goodies help but not much) 7800 to 8400. Referenced from KBB.

·
4,208 Posts
the r was an mon post...single seat.......

G

·
0 Posts
i had a loan of an 748 sps for a week. It was great in fast corners & sounds & looks UNREAL but that's it. (i suppose that's pretty good though)

It was a PIG in traffic & u counld't ride for more than 30mins before you body gave out. The worth thing is u had to give it tons of revs to get it off the line.

simon

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Its is a single seater(no rear pegs or seat) and it has small stickers on the rear cowl that read " 748R ) he's asking 14k w/ all the take off parts ( E-bay, here I come ) It's in excellent shape, its just that if I remember correctly, everything comes out as a special edition, then the next year its standard issue.. I ned a way to show this guy that 8-9k is more reasonable for what he has. Its not about the $$ for the guy, he just wants to sell it for a new toy... :roll:

later

·
Registered
650 Posts
you guys should look into the price of upkeep for those rides and you might think otherwise........like the service every 3000 miles ......I think?

·
4,208 Posts
yeah .....and teh valve adjustment cost is unrealllllllllllllllllll.......he'selling it cause the service is KILLING him Im sure....Brian

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Be very wary and careful when you are thinking of buying a Ducati!
Ensure that you have a FULL service history with the bike. I have just spent the last 10 months rebuilding a 748SPS (predecessor to the 748R)
Servicing is horrifically expensive and must be carried out properly and on time. Timing belts are critical, no exceptions. Valve clearances require the engine to be removed to access the rear shims. Major service is approx £700.00 Sterling
Spares are even more expensive for the SPS and R versions due to their exclusivity. For example;

Front disc = £210.00 sterling
Seat unit = £450.00 Sterling
Top and bottom yokes with bearings = £450.00 Sterling
Headlight casing = £210.00 Sterling
Headlight assembly = £225.00 Sterling
Rear subframe £585.00 Sterling

(multiply Sterling by 1.5 to change into US $)
Getting the idea? I dare say that it would probably cost more in the US due to import duty etc.
Having said that, the handling and braking of the 748 is far superior to the 916 and up models.
If it is used as a second bike for nice weather then go for it, but if you intend to rack up a lot of miles then it will be VERY expensive to maintain.

When I finish this rebuild I will post some before and after pics!
Regards
Ted

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Alot of good advise / input so far! The guy is talking about selling it for " payoff" which sits around $13k, I am only finding listings closer to $8-9k
The expensive pay I can handle, its the " buying a Ducati, that is outdated
and way over priced " that I am more worried about. By outdated I mean
what makes the 748R special? Does it have alot of HP for what it is? I read 108-110 ( My RC-51 had 134) etc... The biek has 1600 total miles on her. For example, whats a " service run? " and how often?
Thanks again guys for your wisdom!

·
Registered
7,910 Posts
So Ted, are you trying to dissuade me from my 999 purchase next year?? :lol:

·
Registered
7,910 Posts
Safe,

Hows the video I sent you?

A Duc is not about HP. Its torque and cornering. Twins are a different ballgame.

Do not attempt until you can afford both.

- Blitz

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Video was Excellent!! I will be buying a copy from the bike show this year when it rolls around in November!! :D

Ducati... hmm... I am only atributing it to my RC-%!, I mean 51....
small, handles like its on rails and will never see 150mph.. maybe a Sunday ride bike only < occasional bike night? :roll: > I'll post later, Im going to go bike hunting today < Its raining here, 12's dead (won't start :? ) and my banker is retiring at the end of the month.> so this may be my last chance to get the good rates, before he leaves... :twisted:

VTX,Duc,V-Rod,'03 12, or maybe just a plain ole Cobra kit car w. some radical engine? So many decesions, so little time... :wink:

more to follow

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Blitz,
No I'm not trying to dissuade anyone from buying a Ducati! I've owned a couple over the years and have known many friends with them.
They are a great bike, if style and twisties is your bag. I love them myself, but would only have one as a second bike and keep my 12 for the rest of the time!
Owners or prespective buyers have to be aware of the costs of running these bikes and the fact that they are very fragile if they are not meticously maintained.
I'm in the final stages of completely rebuilding a 748 SPS, and it has been a long haul due to the high cost of spares. That includes sourcing them from breakers/wreckers who already know the costs from original stores.
All said and done, I had this 748 SPS for a month, (a few months before it got trashed) and at the time I was deciding between a 998S and the 12. As you already know I opted for the 12.
I'm glad that I went with the 12, it has been relatively trouble free and parts are realistically priced!
Not to mention the fun I've had with it and the joy of spending far too much money on it making it even faster!! LOL
Regards
Ted
PS, I think the 999 is ugly! (Not as ugly as a fuglybusa) but not as nice, as I prefer the classic lines of the 998 models. I know that it is faster and handles better than the older models, but I still don't like it! Just my opinion.
Regards
Ted

1 - 15 of 15 Posts