Kawasaki World banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to this forum. I have owned my ZX12 since 2007. It has 78K Kilometers. It has been maintained regularly, and has given no problems over the years. Yesterday it DIED.
While riding home, the electrics simply shut off...DEAD.
I have checked all of the fuses, and the main fuse in the battery box. All fuses, including the battery checks out fine.
IS there a chance of a faulty ECU relay? There are 2 OMRON relays that sit adjacent to the the fuse panel. I believe one is for lights, the other for the ECU.
There was absolutely no early warning indicator, as the bike ran strong, started fine, etc. Thought I would go to this forum to see if anyone has experienced the same.
Appreciate any help!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
159 Posts
Without knowing the background on the bike, it could be anything. Battery, fuel pump, etc.

Does the pump prime when you turn the key on?

Does it attempt to start as in turning over strong?

Have you looked at all the electrical connections under the seat and under the tank cover?

A bunch of things to try that are simple.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi,
There is absolutely NO power getting to the bike. When you turn the key, nothing happens. Its as if the battery is disconnected.
I have removed the seat, tank cover, and battery case. Checked all fuses, wire connections and battery checks fine. Not sure if a faulty relay would just shut the bike down?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,430 Posts
Have you checked the ignition switch plug, it may of come undone, or corroded white wire in it, it's under the left infill panel normally.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No,I haven't checked the ignition switch plug as yet, but, I will tomorrow.
Thanks for the direction. I will let you know what I find.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,267 Posts
I can tell you only this.

Mine did the same thing. Riding along strong, then just died on me. Middle of the highway 45 minutes from home. No power. Got her home, checked everything. Even tried a jump start (mine still has the cable), nothing. Checked battery, had 12.45vDC. Figured ok.

Long story short, the battery was garbage. A cell died or something. Had the right voltage, but not the right amps. Turns out, like most modern cars, these bikes are very touchy to power needs. Even a weak battery kills them. They will act like they have no power at all.

I replaced the battery after lookin and askin around here, on a suggestion from a member (thinkin ninjayorkie) and the old girl fired right up. Not sayin this is your gig, but, this is what happened to mine. Very similar to what you described.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well folks.
Still trying to get my 12 up and running. Checked the ignition switch plug, and it looked good. Went after the battery again, and it's only charging at 3.5 volts! I was able to get a 12 V charge to the battery, and still nothing feeding from the battery to the ignition. I have been following the wiring schematics, and I'm baffled. All fuses still check OK.
I Will try a charged battery tomorrow, and hope it brings the beast back to life!
Thanks for all, and I do appreciate any more tips on getting back on the street!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey folks.

I slid in a fully charged battery, and to my dismay, it came back to life!
I ran another set of jumper leads from the battery into the storage bay under the seat cowl...(to avoid digging the battery out!)
I will monitor the strength of the battery over the next few days to see I have a drain on the battery.
If I have a drain, it's likely the stator, as I have experienced stator issues with my Triumph Daytona...

Thanks all for your help troubleshooting the wiring, ignition etc.

From Alberta, Canada, Ride on mates!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
114 Posts
I always put jumper cables on the start motor lead below the battery tray and the negative clamped on the swing arm nut, works well. I hope you used about 4mm2 or bigger wires or you will melt them..
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top