Kawasaki World banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just put in a new stator (Rick's Electric p/n 268359).

Alternator Output Voltage Check:
AB and C leads are putting out around 67 vac each and are pretty consistent as I revved up to 4000 rpm.

Reg/Rectifier Output Voltage Check:
Plugged stator connector to volt/reg connector. With engine running from idle to 4000 rpm, output voltage stayed around 13.6 vdc.

Thermal Check:
With engine running for 15 mins, stator lead wires were getting up to 126 deg F at reg/rectifier connector. Reg/rectifier was getting up to 186 deg F.

Is all this normal, or do I have an issue somewhere?

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Good question I've never checked mine, I do have an infra red heat gun so next time I power mine up with the seats off ill check but when that will be I don't know.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
186 degrees f seems a bit hot for the RR... And I don't get any heat from my wires now that I've eliminated the plug and straight soldered the wires...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Ninjayorkie and Perfecte99,

I'll try removing the plug and solder the wires. Hopefully that'll help.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Hi it is indeed a good idea to remove both of the connectors and solder the wires in place just for peace of mind Craig

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Soldered wires together at stator/Regulator plug. Thermal tests resulted in no change. Stator wires were getting in the 120's (deg F) and the reg/rectifier was at 176 (deg F) when I shut the bike down.

Was I supposed to include the 5-pin connector, as well?

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Eliminated standard connectors by soldering the wires together. On a 30 minutes ride, the wires reached up to around 125 F. Not bad. My Regulator/Rectifier got up to 240 F.

Does anyone know what the expected heat range for the RR should be?

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts