Kawasaki World banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I bought this ninja 250 off of Craigslist and I cant seem to figure out the problem. When I first got it the bike ran for about 2 hours no problem, thats when I was figuring the bike out. I started heading to work and the bike turns off. I pull over and it comes right back on and I head out, 5 mins later it turns off on me again this time when I was accelerating. Then it would no turn over maybe because I tried to many times...the guy I bought it from picked it up an had his mechanic redo the carbs, and checked the battery. I get it again and it runs ok but like before it wont stay on by itself after warming up in neutral after a couple minutes. I take it out and it turned off on me again while on the road. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
IF he cleaned the carbs, did u install a feul filter to protect his work from the potentially originally dirty gas tank?

if so the fuel filter could be clogged, otherwise petcock is clogged. ur bikes super simple, and as long as when it runs it runs right, then ur carbs r good.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok so you think the fuel filter is bad. I did not even check to see if a filter was on the carb but I will check in a bit. I had a new mechanic look at it and said its either the fuel line or the vacuum line. SO we have been looking at the fuel evaporation system and hoping the connections are in wrong which could cause the issue.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
IF he cleaned the carbs, did u install a feul filter to protect his work from the potentially originally dirty gas tank?

if so the fuel filter could be clogged, otherwise petcock is clogged. ur bikes super simple, and as long as when it runs it runs right, then ur carbs r good.
Ok so I noticed I didn't even have a fuel filter on the bike.so does that mean the carbs have to get done again? And yes same problem exist.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Basically, yes. Potentially i mean it could be anything...

Can u add any detail to your original post in terms of symptoms... Or the bike did this then did that... Etc...

In your first two hours of it riding fine, did u floor it to redline?

If yes and all ran great and then stopped... But started again, was it still flooring it to redline?

If yes and it just stopped again, ur carbs may still be clean... May just be upstream of the carbs...

Neways if ur bike was running good ur vaccuum lines r good.

Vaccuum lines rarely fail intermittently.

And lastly, ur carbs r super easy to to remove, and even easier to clean with a 3 dollar can
Of carb cleaner from any parts auto store.

So, u can fix it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Basically, yes. Potentially i mean it could be anything...

Can u add any detail to your original post in terms of symptoms... Or the bike did this then did that... Etc...

In your first two hours of it riding fine, did u floor it to redline?

If yes and all ran great and then stopped... But started again, was it still flooring it to redline?

If yes and it just stopped again, ur carbs may still be clean... May just be upstream of the carbs...

Neways if ur bike was running good ur vaccuum lines r good.

Vaccuum lines rarely fail intermittently.

And lastly, ur carbs r super easy to to remove, and even easier to clean with a 3 dollar can
Of carb cleaner from any parts auto store.

So, u can fix it.

Well the bike will sputter. Now, about 2 minutes within driving. That's how I know I need to pull over. Then I will try to rev it to keep it alive because it wants to shut off. I'm actually on the side of the road with it now:). It cuts off I can't start it right away so I wait 5-10 minutes and I'm good for a little more. One thing I notice is I think the canister does not fit where it's placed. And all hose are connected correctly. Spark plug???

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
So just think about it...

If u fouled a plug, or had a bad one... It would run on one cylinder... It would not run, and then stop, and then run...

The symptoms your describing fit this scenario,

Im a petcock in the gas tank, i flow gas, until i keep getting clogged, so i dont let gas flow, carbs empty, bike stops...

But i dont stop flowing completely, just enough to starv the bike, after 2-5 mins i have dripped enough fuel into the carbs for them to run off the gas in the bowls...

For a few mins...

So, this sounds like ur problem?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So just think about it...

If u fouled a plug, or had a bad one... It would run on one cylinder... It would not run, and then stop, and then run...

The symptoms your describing fit this scenario,

Im a petcock in the gas tank, i flow gas, until i keep getting clogged, so i dont let gas flow, carbs empty, bike stops...

But i dont stop flowing completely, just enough to starv the bike, after 2-5 mins i have dripped enough fuel into the carbs for them to run off the gas in the bowls...

For a few mins...

So, this sounds like ur problem?
Yup that exactly it.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Remove the gas tank clean the petcock see what it looks like

Install a fuel filter $2 at your local
Auto parts store

Open drain plugs on bottom of carbs whats the gas look like that comes out?

Replace sparks if u want super easy while gas tank is off... but ur symptoms dont sound like spark iszue at all. Ur bikes ignitio. Syztdm iz almost bulletproof.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You actually made a great find! When I was putting my fuel filter on I did notice the gas had...something in it. I thought I had a dirty cup but no.

I took off the petcock and surely it was CLOGGED rust everywhere. Currently buying a o-ring because the one that was in between used must have got washed away with the rust since it was so old. Only half exist lol. I'm getting all the rust out my tank with vinegar these past hours. And hoping this clears everything. Update soon.:clap:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So, the petcock wasn't working as it should. Took it apart and who ever had it last had the spring on the wrong side. Putting it back where it was suppose to slowed the dripping a bit. I looked at the diaphragm o-ring and the spring tore it up a bit so that's what seemed to cause the leaking maybe. I pick up that o-ring in the morning.

Only reason I found out is I was testing the petcock with water in the off position. It kept dripping.

The petcock should not let anything through right? Only if the vacuum is in?

Let me know what you think.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well I bought this ninja 250 off of Craigslist and I cant seem to figure out the problem. When I first got it the bike ran for about 2 hours no problem, thats when I was figuring the bike out. I started heading to work and the bike turns off. I pull over and it comes right back on and I head out, 5 mins later it turns off on me again this time when I was accelerating. Then it would no turn over maybe because I tried to many times...the guy I bought it from picked it up an had his mechanic redo the carbs, and checked the battery. I get it again and it runs ok but like before it wont stay on by itself after warming up in neutral after a couple minutes. I take it out and it turned off on me again while on the road. Any suggestions?
buôn may bán đắt nào

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Problem Solved

Remove the gas tank clean the petcock see what it looks like

Install a fuel filter $2 at your local
Auto parts store

Open drain plugs on bottom of carbs whats the gas look like that comes out?

Replace sparks if u want super easy while gas tank is off... but ur symptoms dont sound like spark iszue at all. Ur bikes ignitio. Syztdm iz almost bulletproof.
So....that worked. Thank a lot for the help. You're better than the mechanics in my area.

UPDATE

Checked spark plugs, one was bad so I changed it (Luckily it was only one because I only had one). Used Vinegar to clean out rust from tank. It was a lot. I will use a different method at a later date, because after flushing the rust out its hard to dry it out quickly, so the rust kind of formed just a little. Petcock was rusted all on the inside. Used carb cleaner to get the rust out. diaphragm o ring was shot and o-ring over the petcock handle was shot. I took off the o-ring for the diaphragm (its really small) measured it with a ruler. Looked it up at O'Reillys to see if they had it...they did.(size is 4mm I.D. x 8mm O.D. x 2mm Thick btw). (One thing I cant seem to find is the exact sizes for these damn parts) Perfect fit. For the handle o-ring...I had about half of it and the rest disintegrated. Used that as a reference to get a new o-ring at O'Reillys. The one i got was 2mm thick. It was too big but it worked. I hooked everything back up and tested it with water...it was still leaking. So I forgot you can push the diaphragm in and out so I pushed it in and it sealed and no water went through. Then i used my mouth as suction and the water released. Test done. I rode to work and it didnt fail me.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts