Kawasaki World banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who's ridden both, what real world difference have you noticed? I'm primarily interested in the carbs as my 01 (god bless her soul) had some pretty hefty off/on issues.

I've read a lot of magazines, I just wanna hear from the front lines! hehe

·
Registered
329 Posts
My '01 has that abruptness,but only above 7/8k rpm during on off throttle application.(Shimming the needles is the cheapest way to improve it.)On a trip (at cruise) it gets 50mpg.
I believe the only significant difference in the two machines is a heavier flywheel for the '02.Hopefully that helps some of that jekel/hyde "look out, it's comming on the cam" feeling the '01 has.
Check out: ivansperformanceproducts.com:

·
Registered
263 Posts
Yes get you some 98-99 carbs with an Ivans setup, I swear by it!
You can probably find them on ebay for cheap.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hey Ivan, do you take straight up trades of factory pro kits? Cuz I blew all the money I could afford and THEN some on that waste of time :( Hehe.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I didn't see a 2002 kit yet on the website but a friend of mine says you have a 2002 bike of your own and he already has an 02 kit from you. It still under development or just not on the site yet? I was looking here:
http://www.ivansperformanceproducts.com/zx9r.htm

Oh and does anybody know if a 4deg advancer from an 01 will fit an 02? I presume it will but just wanna be sure.

·
Registered
54 Posts
2002 ZX9R

Yes, I do have an 02.......... Love it to death !!

The carb kit has been available since March of this year, it has also been tested by Motorcyclist magazine.

I have advancers in stock, and yes, the 02 is the same advancer as the 00-01.

The results are the same as the 00-01 model, except the #'s will be slighly lower on the dyno due to the heavier crank in the 02 model.......

ALTHOUGH, on the road performance is identical to the 00-01 model.

The dyno reads lower because the test is so short..........on the road acceleration takes much longer due to the load being heavier than the dyno.
This was proven by comparing an 01 model with the same setup......
my carb kit, +4 ign adv, full Akrapovic exhaust system........

The 01 model dynos 143 and the 02 model dynos 138........
acceleration is a dead heat with equal weight riders, in a 2nd through 6th gear roll on.

Ivan

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
hey thanks for the great info Ivan :)

Are the stock headers still as good as the 00/01? Ie. just a slip-on will do?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Hey Ivan,

I have a 2001 zx9 with a Dyno jet kit. I want to go to your kit but I have read in this forum that I may need new carbs. Can this be avoided? By the way I had the kit put in by my local Kaw. dealer so I really don't know how it was installed and set up. I did get back a box of left over or not used parts (needles). I apologize for my ignorance in all of this, but I am kind of new at the tech. side of bikes.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey JDM the bottom line is whether the kit you have feels good. You'll know if it isn't running smoothly, but if it is.. why mess with it further! :)

·
Registered
989 Posts
Ivan
What is the cost of the Advancer.?
manufacturer?
Does it matter that Im using a 86 octane gasoline.

JDM, you should call Dynojet and ask about it. If the dilling was done in the slides of the carbs, there is no problem, if the drilling was done on the main air jets then you have to buy another set of carbs. 120-160 dolars.

·
Registered
54 Posts
""if the drilling was done on the main air jets then you have to buy another set of carbs. 120-160 dolars.""

This is not true................

Main air jets can be removed, and the body of the carbs tapped in the same procedure as the main air jet in my R6 kit.

If the slides were drilled...............they can be filled with epoxy, and re-drilled in the same hole, or make a new hole.

Ivan

·
Registered
181 Posts
Hey guys, I talked to the mechanic that installed my jet kit and he said the only thing that he drilled was the fuel mixture plug. I hope this means that my carbs can stay :lol: Thanks again!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts