Kawasaki World banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My zx9r has a 2002 engine and wiring harness. It will only start in neutral with the clutch out. Is this normal? If it is, I find it very annoying and dangerous. Right now my rear spocket is -2 teeth so I have little torque which leads to frequent engine stalls. I hate having to then try to get it in neutral, start the engine then downshift as traffic is waiting behind me. Is there any way to allow it to start when in first gear but still have a true reading neutral indicator light? Is there a wiring diagram for the 2002 model zx9r posted somewhere on the internet I could look at?

·
Registered
696 Posts
look into a new clutch sensor about $10 that will fix it....your 9 is an 02 so you have a 525 rear 39t sprocket?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sprocket is a stock zx10r part since I put on zx10r wheels. I will upgrade to a 44 tooth sprocket when I have the money.

·
Registered
696 Posts
don't know how much luck you have with aluminum sprockets, but a steel one is half the price and will last longer,i went through a 525 43t and a 45t al. this year never again.. steel from now on for me.

·
Registered
696 Posts
just found the fix..(FOR THE STARTING PROBLEM) mine has been doing that for over a year i just fixed it in 1 min... pull in your clutch lever. on the bottom, is a button it pushes in, spray some wd40 into the button area.. push the button all the way in with a flat head screw driver while you hold the clutch lever to the grip, and let the button snap back out. repeat 5-10 times..mine started right up in gear after that..

·
Registered
56 Posts
jragates said:
just found the fix..(FOR THE STARTING PROBLEM) mine has been doing that for over a year i just fixed it in 1 min... pull in your clutch lever. on the bottom, is a button it pushes in, spray some wd40 into the button area.. push the button all the way in with a flat head screw driver while you hold the clutch lever to the grip, and let the button snap back out. repeat 5-10 times..mine started right up in gear after that..
Umm, that is how it is supposed to work on the 02/03 (read the manual.) In neutral, clutch out.

All you did was phack up the switch so that it doesn't work right anymore...Which is fine until you find yourself in the middle of nowhere, at night, with no lights and a bike that won't start.

Don't ask how I know...

·
Registered
696 Posts
i have an 01 but there the same,it just gets gummed up and needs to be cleaned, it works exactly how it should now, you can take it apart and clean it if you wish. its a common problem on ninja's.. do a search on here, thats how i found the fix.if it stoped working all together i'd be right back where i started having to start in neutral.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Ewww! I always start mine in neutral. Guess I better get out there & clean that switch before I get run over in an intersection trying to restart. (hey, it could happen.)
Thanks for the tip. :)

·
Registered
696 Posts
i've seen it posted here before. you need all the 10 stuff. rim and the axle the 10 axle is a little shorter so you need to shave the chain adusting block things a little to get the nut on.you may also need diff. spacers made? but i bet if you look at a few bikes and take some measurements you can find a set that will work that fits in that rim but is big enough to take up the extra space of the 9's arm.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Check the "Fork Swap?" thread for details on the zx10r wheels.

One review I read of the 2002 zx9r said it in only supposed to start in neutral as a safety feature. Is there anyone who has a 2002 model that can verify this.

I need a wiring diagram of the 2002 model. Any links to one?

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Must admit I thought it would only start in neutral, or with the clutch pulled in.
And yes I know there are other lock outs but not normally noticed.

·
Registered
696 Posts
if there was a safety lock out that only let my bike start in neutral i would have to find a way to dissable it.i can't look like a jack-ass trying to get out of gear becouse i stalled at a stop or something..

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
If its in gear you should be able to start it with the clutch pulled in.

·
Registered
56 Posts
ninjayorkie said:
Is my reading comprehension so bad from years of inhaling gas fumes that when I repeatedly read the owners manual it keeps telling me..?

The bike is only supposed to start in neutral with the clutch out.

I know this is unique to this bike, but it was mentioned in multiple reviews when it first came out, is in the owners manual, and it is how a properly maintainted 2002-2003 ZX-9R starts.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Thor said:
ninjayorkie said:
Is my reading comprehension so bad from years of inhaling gas fumes that when I repeatedly read the owners manual it keeps telling me..?

The bike is only supposed to start in neutral with the clutch out....
To me, you can also read that as "The bike will start in gear WITH THE CLUTCH IN."

I could always start my '01 in gear, since new. Almost seems like a safety hazard if you absolutely cannot start it in gear.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
If its in gear you can start it with the clutch in, and side stand down, as the clutch is let out the system then notices the side stand down and cuts the ignition, and thats what its for.
Should your bike not start while in gear and the clutch in then there is a problem with the Black/yellow wire in the clutch switch.
Checking that the horn works checks that the Black/yellow earth wire to the left handlebar switches is available.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
To me it seems that if it only starts in neutral WITH the clutch out, then the switch is working. If it were broken it would not matter where the lever was. The 02 and 03 models are not wired the same as the 98-99 and 00-01 models so those that say "mine starts in gear" but have a 2001 model, it is not helping my situation with a 2002.

I find it difficult to get my bike to downshift when stopped. In the morning when it is cold out there is a high chance of my motor stalling when it has not warmed up enough. I then have to downshift and find neutral with cars waiting behind me. This pisses me off since I am so used to my 99 zx9r just starting right back up with the push of a button.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts