Kawasaki World banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ill keep this as short as I can. New to the forum as well. I made some adjustments on my 2003 zx9r carbs. put in new needles and springs, drilled out mixture screw plugs and have at 1 3/4 turns out I beleive. Bike ran like a boss after I did this. Still a small hesitation in quarter throttle but made a huge difference. The factory pro jet kit came with bike, I think all they did was put the jets in and obviously didnt do anything else. Ran great for a week, then one day it started up and as I started down the road something was very wrong. After thinking of the simple things to try first, I ended up putting sea foam in the house that runs to my kleen air system. For whatever reason, it ran fine after that. Didnt seem quite as powerful but may have just been in my head. I put about 80 miles on it in 4 days or so. Then driving home from work, it happened again. Would not start back up very easily, like it was on 2 cylinders again. I put sea foam in that same hose again and let it sit for 5 minutes, then it started right up. I drove it back to my garage, hammered on it the whole way, no problems. Cylinders 1 and 2 run, but 3 and 4 are having issues. Anyone have a suggestion? I am not a mechanic, but have done some work on a couple of my bikes, I am not an idiot. Youtube and these forums have been great with information. I just can not find anything similar to this for info on what might be wrong. Please help! I am about to just say screw it and take it to a local shop.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
By putting the Sea Foam into the Kleen Air you are dumping it directly next to the spark plugs.

First thing I would do is pull the plugs and inspect and clean.

I have never used Sea Foam nor felt the need to but that's a topic for another day and another thread. ;-)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First thing I did when this happened was replace the plugs. They were a little black but not too bad. So plugs are new and still had same issue. I'm wondering if it's not something directly with the kleen air. I have one cover over cylinders 1 and 2 and one cover over 3 and 4. Maybe something in the system like a reed valve? Are those what allows the bike to only draw air in and not push air back out creating the vacuum through that hose?

·
Registered
4,267 Posts
Kleen Air introduces fresh air into the exhaust after the valve to help burn off any unburnt fuel in the exhaust coming out of the cylinder. Cap them off and remove the Kleen hoses and plug any open vacuum lines and this will eliminate this from the system. Unless you have emissions testing in your area, you don't nedd it anyways.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I may have to give this a try. I am going to hunt for some directions on doing this, I have seen 10 different ways of others doing it differently... Thanks for your help guys, very much appreciated. I would still like to hear anyone's thoughts that night agree that this could be my problem though...

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
If your sure 1 and 2 are working, then with the airbox lid off put a hand over the 3 then 4 carb inlet trumpets, this may generate enough vacuum through the carbs to clear any crap that may be floating around in the pilot system. I've heard doing this as helped similar problems a few times.

·
Registered
4,267 Posts
Just cap off the vacuum lines to the pump, then use a chunk of heater hose or something and connect one Kleen cover to the other...or buy vacuum caps big enough and cap them. Take all that crap out. If it still does it, you'll know it ain't that, but you'll have a tiny weight reduction...:lol: It's real easy.

If it's still doing it, check/clean the carbs. Make sure you don't have leaky intake boots. Check for cracked rubber lines at the carbs.

·
Registered
25,299 Posts
Ill keep this as short as I can. New to the forum as well. I made some adjustments on my 2003 zx9r carbs. put in new needles and springs, drilled out mixture screw plugs and have at 1 3/4 turns out I beleive. Bike ran like a boss after I did this. Still a small hesitation in quarter throttle but made a huge difference. The factory pro jet kit came with bike, I think all they did was put the jets in and obviously didnt do anything else. Ran great for a week, then one day it started up and as I started down the road something was very wrong. After thinking of the simple things to try first, I ended up putting sea foam in the house that runs to my kleen air system. For whatever reason, it ran fine after that. Didnt seem quite as powerful but may have just been in my head. I put about 80 miles on it in 4 days or so. Then driving home from work, it happened again. Would not start back up very easily, like it was on 2 cylinders again. I put sea foam in that same hose again and let it sit for 5 minutes, then it started right up. I drove it back to my garage, hammered on it the whole way, no problems. Cylinders 1 and 2 run, but 3 and 4 are having issues. Anyone have a suggestion? I am not a mechanic, but have done some work on a couple of my bikes, I am not an idiot. Youtube and these forums have been great with information. I just can not find anything similar to this for info on what might be wrong. Please help! I am about to just say screw it and take it to a local shop.
Just a wild-assed guess, but the older 9s had an ignition system that is split into 2 parts - each one fires two cylinders... I think they were still made that way in 2003... If you're getting fuel (& obviously you've got compression), I'd check fire next... A quick check is to start the engine & use an induction timing light on each plug wire in turn... Cylinders getting spark will run the light, those not getting spark will not...

I know it's natural to suspect the fueling, cuz that's what you changed most recently, but mebby this is just one of those things that just happened... Hope this helps...

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
If it has 2 dead cylinders check the ignition coils. Each coil fires 2 cylinders. Swap the coils with each other and see if the problem follows the coil.. If its a bad coil, 2 different cylinders will be dead..

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Only the B's have coils split between 2 cylinders 1&4 2&3, all the later models have individual stick coils fired by the ECU.

Rest a finger on the end of the fuel pump, unless you have really short fingers you should be able to do this without removing anything and just reaching in forward of the rear brake res.

Now feel for the pump knocking, it should knock for a while and then stop and then after a few seconds start knocking again for a few seconds. if it constantly knocks even when the engine is running then chances are the carb float bowl valves are not closing correctly. Time for further investigation.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts