Kawasaki World banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:eek: i just picked up an 03 swingarm to convert my 99 zx9r what else do i need to complete the conversion ? will the 99 shock and linkages work ??? thank you all in advance :eek:

·
Registered
83 Posts
I think you might be in virgin territory there, but I would be really curious what you learn. I know they changed the linkage ratios, but as far as parts interchangability, I have no idea.

Also, my bike ('98) has small axles. I have seen a few '99's with large axles and a few more with the small ones. You will definately need the large axles.

Good luck. Let us know what you find out!!

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
PM danno,he did it to his 2000, I don't think you can do it to a C model but I'am prob wrong...

Also the shock is different

·
Registered
181 Posts
Yeah, if the swing arm works you are still going to need a rear shock assembly from an 02' or up unless you get an after market designed for 02' and up which will cost you more.

John

·
Registered
185 Posts
I dunno about putting the 02 arm on the 99 but it'll work with the 00-10 models with no issues. You will need the 02 shock though... I've had mine on for 2 years now with no issues..

Sunshine

·
Registered
12 Posts
you will need the rear shock because the resivor on your shock won't fit.
I have an 02 shock and swingarm if anyone is interested let me know.
you can feel a big difference with the braced swingarm as you start to slide your ass off of the seat you can really tighten up your corners.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
danno said:
you will need the rear shock because the resivor on your shock won't fit.
I have an 02 shock and swingarm if anyone is interested let me know.
you can feel a big difference with the braced swingarm as you start to slide your ass off of the seat you can really tighten up your corners.
:eek: hey Danno how about the linkages and the axle will the 99 parts except the shock work ??? thanks :eek:

·
Registered
12 Posts
I did my swap on a 2k and every thing else swapped over. If anything I would think you may have issues with the rear axle or spacer size because of rim with been changed from 99 to 2k. I'll do my research for you if I get a chance today and l will get back at you.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Is the '02 shock a remote reservoir or? I have an Ohlins with adjustable ride height, so I was wondering if it would still fit with the '02 swingarm.

thanx

·
Registered
12 Posts
no, the 02 resivor is mounted in a different direction. I think your Ohlins setup should work, but don't take my word on it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
danno said:
I did my swap on a 2k and every thing else swapped over. If anything I would think you may have issues with the rear axle or spacer size because of rim with been changed from 99 to 2k. I'll do my research for you if I get a chance today and l will get back at you.
thanks Danno :eek: some of the race guys were saying just to cut the brace off and re weld it on the 99 swingarm . What do you guys think of that ?????? :eek:

·
Registered
203 Posts
thanks Danno some of the race guys were saying just to cut the brace off and re weld it on the 99 swingarm . What do you guys think of that ??????

I wouldn't recommend it unless you have experience with welding aluminum and have some sort of fixture to keep it from warping from the heat. The hot set up for, I beleive the 92 Honda CR250, was to stitch weld an 1/8 aluminum plate onthe inside of the swingarm to stiffen it up. This worked, but it made getting the wheel on/off a real pain because of some distortion.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Carey Ohl said:
thanks Danno some of the race guys were saying just to cut the brace off and re weld it on the 99 swingarm . What do you guys think of that ??????

I wouldn't recommend it unless you have experience with welding aluminum and have some sort of fixture to keep it from warping from the heat. The hot set up for, I beleive the 92 Honda CR250, was to stitch weld an 1/8 aluminum plate onthe inside of the swingarm to stiffen it up. This worked, but it made getting the wheel on/off a real pain because of some distortion.[/quote

:eek: our shop have some sort of a jig made up or we'll just make a swingarm jig :eek: 8) after all isn't this what the fun's all about :D thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
resurrecting a dead thread, I am interested to install a 2003 rear ZX9R swingarm to my 2000, I have an aftermarket GP Suspension rear shock w reservoir fitment west to east, so it is like the 10R shock so I see that this should allow the swap pretty easy, perhaps anyone with knowledge can post although forums seems dead these days

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
A zx-9r F swingarm will swap straight into your 2000 E1, as for the rear shock it should fit, but I can't say for certain.

·
Registered
6 Posts
A zx-9r F swingarm will swap straight into your 2000 E1, as for the rear shock it should fit, but I can't say for certain.
Thanks, i found out this same info, I have a GP Suspension aftermarket shock and the reservoir is fitted west to east across shock body so I am golden! Thanks, I joined the 9R.net forum as it seems more active and is dedicated to the 9R alone

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
I'm on there more often than here.

·
Registered
6 Posts
i got a like new 02 swingarm for my E1 will do over the winter as weather getting too nice now to be bothered doing the swap although I could do it on a weekend, thats whens I like to ride...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts