Kawasaki World banner

2003 ZX9R swingarm conversion

10K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  Cisco Kidd 
#1 ·
:eek: i just picked up an 03 swingarm to convert my 99 zx9r what else do i need to complete the conversion ? will the 99 shock and linkages work ??? thank you all in advance :eek:

#2 ·
I think you might be in virgin territory there, but I would be really curious what you learn. I know they changed the linkage ratios, but as far as parts interchangability, I have no idea.

Also, my bike ('98) has small axles. I have seen a few '99's with large axles and a few more with the small ones. You will definately need the large axles.

Good luck. Let us know what you find out!!

#6 ·
you will need the rear shock because the resivor on your shock won't fit.
I have an 02 shock and swingarm if anyone is interested let me know.
you can feel a big difference with the braced swingarm as you start to slide your ass off of the seat you can really tighten up your corners.

#7 ·
danno said:
you will need the rear shock because the resivor on your shock won't fit.
I have an 02 shock and swingarm if anyone is interested let me know.
you can feel a big difference with the braced swingarm as you start to slide your ass off of the seat you can really tighten up your corners.
:eek: hey Danno how about the linkages and the axle will the 99 parts except the shock work ??? thanks :eek:

#8 ·
I did my swap on a 2k and every thing else swapped over. If anything I would think you may have issues with the rear axle or spacer size because of rim with been changed from 99 to 2k. I'll do my research for you if I get a chance today and l will get back at you.

#11 ·
danno said:
I did my swap on a 2k and every thing else swapped over. If anything I would think you may have issues with the rear axle or spacer size because of rim with been changed from 99 to 2k. I'll do my research for you if I get a chance today and l will get back at you.
thanks Danno :eek: some of the race guys were saying just to cut the brace off and re weld it on the 99 swingarm . What do you guys think of that ?????? :eek:

#12 ·
thanks Danno some of the race guys were saying just to cut the brace off and re weld it on the 99 swingarm . What do you guys think of that ??????

I wouldn't recommend it unless you have experience with welding aluminum and have some sort of fixture to keep it from warping from the heat. The hot set up for, I beleive the 92 Honda CR250, was to stitch weld an 1/8 aluminum plate onthe inside of the swingarm to stiffen it up. This worked, but it made getting the wheel on/off a real pain because of some distortion.

#13 ·
Carey Ohl said:
thanks Danno some of the race guys were saying just to cut the brace off and re weld it on the 99 swingarm . What do you guys think of that ??????

I wouldn't recommend it unless you have experience with welding aluminum and have some sort of fixture to keep it from warping from the heat. The hot set up for, I beleive the 92 Honda CR250, was to stitch weld an 1/8 aluminum plate onthe inside of the swingarm to stiffen it up. This worked, but it made getting the wheel on/off a real pain because of some distortion.[/quote

:eek: our shop have some sort of a jig made up or we'll just make a swingarm jig :eek: 8) after all isn't this what the fun's all about :D thanks

#14 ·
resurrecting a dead thread, I am interested to install a 2003 rear ZX9R swingarm to my 2000, I have an aftermarket GP Suspension rear shock w reservoir fitment west to east, so it is like the 10R shock so I see that this should allow the swap pretty easy, perhaps anyone with knowledge can post although forums seems dead these days

#15 ·
A zx-9r F swingarm will swap straight into your 2000 E1, as for the rear shock it should fit, but I can't say for certain.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.