Kawasaki World banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 ZX12R I put a 2003 motor on it it's not trying to fire is just spinning over and it's getting a backfire and getting Flames coming out the pipe what is the solution to this problem. Btw I took the cam sensor out of the 04 and put it in the 03 because the 03 I bought didn't come with one I need help

·
Super Moderator
1,291 Posts
Did you change the crank trigger wheel?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a 2004 ZX12R I put a 2003 motor on it it's not trying to fire is just spinning over and it's getting a backfire and getting Flames coming out the pipe what is the solution to this problem. Btw I took the cam sensor out of the 04 and put it in the 03 because the 03 I bought didn't come with one I need help

Did you change the crank trigger wheel?
No

·
Registered
6,338 Posts
the exh cam trigger is the same for 01-06, the only odd ball is the 00
the crank trigger is the same on 00-03 (8 tooth wheel) and 04-06 is a different wheel (24-1)

change your crank trigger wheel.

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Are you using the 03 or the 04 throttle bodies? Does it have a power commander?
Firing order correct?
Are you sure the new engine was good when you bought it?

cmg

·
Registered
6,338 Posts
so I feel like an ass. I gave you wrong information. I literally just came across the same problem putting an 03 motor into my 05.

i checked the exh cam from the 05 and they have have put the location of the trigger wheel back to 00 indexing. i have to pull my stuff apart and reindex it. i had the same thing, no start, fire out the pipes like timing was crazy late.

heres correct info

• 00, 04-05 have the same cam trigger indexing
  • 01-03 have a different cam trigger indexing
  • 00-03 have an 8 tooth crank rotor
  • 04-05 have a 24-1 crank rotor.

·
Registered
6,338 Posts
If you unbolt the trigger wheel, you can sand off the little nub that indexes it into the cam. Then it can turn anywhere. Put it where the ecu expects to see it for proper timing. I've done this on a few motors before, interchanging 00 and 01-03 parts. Don't forget permanent strength lock tight !

Attachments

·
Registered
6,338 Posts
So I've reindexed the cam trigger rotor and my bike runs. My suggestion for how to do this is to only take the rotor off if the pin is facing up so that it can't fall out. Once it's off and you have the tab sanded down, do a dry run to get indexing correct. Leave it just tight enough so that the pin won't fall out but you can move the rotor. Put the cam lobe facing up at 12 o'clock and then aim the rotor roughly at 2 o'clock. Snug the bolt, turn the motor over so that the pin is facing up again. Scribe the cam and rotor so you have a reference point. Remove, clean, locktight, reinstall.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts