2010 Kawasaki KLR 650
2010 KAWASAKI KLR 650: AROUND THE BLOCK OR AROUND THE WORLD
The Adventure Starts Right Here
Once upon a time, all motorcycles were designed to deal with all kinds of roads: paved, dirt, gravel and the non-existent. Then civilization, specialization and complexity reared their heads, and it seems like a rider needs different motorcycles for every day of the week. Wrong. The KLR650 has been here all along. Its powerful and almost indestructible 651cc single-cylinder engine provides non-stop power and fuel efficiency. Its rugged steel frame and long-travel suspension are designed to tame any terrain. And its huge fuel tank and thick seat let you keep going longer than you’d ever have thought possible. Whether you’re commuting, circumnavigating the globe or popping down to the store for a quart of milk, the KLR650 is a tough motorcycle to beat. Just like it’s always been.
That 651cc motor is the foundation of the KLR650’s globetrotting prowess. An all-around performer, the single-cylinder four-stroke engine provides quick throttle response and healthy low-end grunt — ideal for trails or dealing with traffic snarls. Equally impressive, the KLR’s composure at highway speeds makes long distance travel a pleasure.
Matching the engine’s abilities every step of the way is the KLR650’s suspension. A 41mm fork with 7.9 inches of suspension travel up front, and a UNI-TRAK linkage system providing 7.3 inches of wheel travel in the rear combine to make the KLR650 a fun, functional commuter during the week and an adept backroad blaster on weekends.
Braking duties are handled by a dual-piston caliper gripping a 280mm petal-style disc at the front, and a 240mm petal-style disc squeezed by a single-piston caliper at the rear. This suspension and brake package boosts the KLR650’s on-road performance without diminishing its versatile off-road capabilities.
Helping make the KLR650 a worthy touring companion is an expansive, saddlebag-friendly, rear luggage rack that can be fitted with a tail bag. A large, 6.1-gallon fuel tank and exemplary fuel economy mean the KLR650 can cover an amazing amount of ground between fill-ups.
That fuel range can translate into a long day in the saddle, so good wind protection is a must. This important job is handled by the frame-mounted bodywork, which includes a tall windscreen and large shrouds. Rider comfort is enhanced further by the seat design and plush urethane foam. A high-capacity 36W alternator pumps out enough juice for a high-output headlight and has the extra capacity to power the add-on electronic gadgets no touring rider can live without.
The KLR650’s competent on-road performance continues once the pavement stops. A tough engine guard keeps loose rocks and gravel at bay, while its U.S. Forest Service-approved spark arrestor grants the KLR650 access to any terrain open to licensed vehicles. Add the optional Kawasaki tank, tail and saddle bags, and you have a recipe for long-distance exploration, beckoning KLR650 owners to enjoy on and off-road adventures.
Long Distance Minded 651cc Four-stroke Single
- Cam timing and tuning combination aid in producing a broad, user-friendly powerband
- Smooth bends on the one-piece exhaust pipe permit exhaust efficiency at all rpm
- Light, silent cam chain contributes to a quieter engine
- Double engine balancer helps engine run smoothly from idle to redline for less fatigue on long rides
- Advanced piston-ring design helps minimize oil consumption
- Oil-level window permits easy and accurate inspection
Four-valve Cylinder Head
- Compact combustion chamber allows increased compression ratio with less detonation yet provides maximum valve area for optimum flow
- Boosts low-end torque and its easy breathing means power at all rpm
- Secondary air (ASV) system helps reduce harmful exhaust emissions
- Thin and lightweight Denso radiator fitted with a lightweight and thin cooling fan for maximum cooling efficiency, even when speeds are low
- Maintains consistent engine temperatures for long engine life and sustained power during hard use
- Allows tighter engine clearances for quieter running
- Includes a temperature gauge
Fully Transistorized Ignition
- Fully transistorized ignition unit more precisely controls timing no matter how fast the rpm changes
- Long, trouble-free lifespan
- Easy and convenient starting
- Convenient location makes starting and warm-up easier
- The engine’s broad torque curve means only five speeds needed for off-road sprinting and relaxed highway cruising
- O-ring drive chain for reduced maintenance and long chain service life
- Beefy, 41mm front fork with 7.9 inches of travel is rigid and plush enough to tackle on- and off-road terrain and provide all day comfort to the rider
- High-mounted front fender for any adventure-touring situation
- Rear UNI-TRAK® suspension features a five-way preload shock absorber with four-way rebound damping and 7.3 inches of rear wheel travel
- Progressive rate provides a smooth, controlled ride
- D-section swingarm contributes to the bike’s excellent traction
- 4mm spokes provide wheel stiffness, further enhancing handling performance and improving steering response
- Semi-double cradle frame made of high-tech, round-section, high-tensile steel
- Detachable rear subframe provides access to the rear shock, airbox and carburetor for easy maintenance
- Large rear cargo rack included
- Protects engine from rocks and trail debris when the going gets tough
Front and Rear Disc Brakes
- Lightweight 280mm front and 240mm rear petal discs offer excellent braking
- Dual-bulb headlamp offers great night illumination
- Rear taillight, parking light and the high-mounted turn signals improve the KLR650’s visibility at night or in poor visibility conditions
Large 6.1-gallon Fuel Tank
- Generous capacity permits serious adventure touring
Additional Comfort and Touring Features
- Bodywork includes a large fairing for great wind protection
- Alternator output is 17A, with a total capacity of 36W to provide ample power for the headlight as well as add-on grip heaters and other accessories
- Easy-to-read instrument panel is mounted to the frame — contributing to lighter steering — and includes a large-face speedometer, tachometer, odometer, trip meter and water temperature gauge
- Urethane seat foam offers all-day comfort for long-distance riding
- Optional extended warranty
- Engine: Four-stroke, DOHC, four-valve single
- Displacement: 651cc
- Bore x stroke: 100.0 x 83.0mm
- Compression ratio: 9.8:1
- Cooling: Liquid
- Carburetion: Keihin CVK40
- Ignition: Fully transistorized
- Transmission: Five-speed
- Final drive: Chain
- Frame: Semi-double cradle, high-tensile steel
- Rake / trail: 28 degrees / 4.4 in.
- Front suspension / wheel travel: 41mm telescopic fork / 7.9 in.
- Rear suspension / wheel travel: UNI-TRAK® single-shock system with 5-way preload and stepless rebound damping / 7.3 in.
- Front tire: 90/90x21
- Rear tire: 130/80x17
- Front brake / rear brake: Single 280mm petal-type disc, two-piston caliper / single 240mm disc, single-piston caliper
- Overall length: 90.4 in.
- Overall width: 37.8 in.
- Overall height: 53.1 in.
- Ground clearance: 8.3 in.
- Seat height: 35.0 in.
- Curb weight: 432 lbs.
- Fuel capacity: 6.1 gal.
- Wheelbase: 58.3 in.
- Color choices: Ebony, Candy Persimmon Red, Candy Thunder Blue