2010 Kawasaki ZX-14 Ninja
Ultimate Performance from Kawasaki’s Flagship Superbike
The mission of Kawasaki’s flagship Ninja ZX-14 is not unlike that of an exotic supercar — to project the awesome power and technology of its parent company in rapid fashion, every time the throttle is twisted. It may not cost a million dollars or have a V-12 engine, but the ZX-14’s 1352cc fuel-injected inline-four is the closest thing on two wheels. Its monocoque chassis and wind-tunnel developed body represent the cutting edge of sportbike design. The ZX-14’s systems are designed to allow riders to exploit the full potential of man and machine, while effortlessly dispatching all challengers.
Despite ever-XLghtening noise and emissions regulations; the ZX-14 has continued to set the pace of sportbike excellence ever since its domineering debut. Intake and exhaust systems permit it to comply with strict emissions and noise regulations, even as its massive low-end torque, mid-range thrust and legendary Ninja peak power place it at the top of the sportbike food chain.
Secondary air ports in the cylinder head and its cover flow clean air into the exhaust system and boost the efficiency of the three honeycomb catalyzers employed in the exhaust system. These devices, combined with a wide dispersal of atomized fuel from the fine-atomizing fuel injectors and optimized flow characteristics through the intakes, allow the ZX-14’s 1352cc engine to offer strong performance, yet still meet the toughest motorcycle emissions regulations.
In lieu of a more-restrictive exhaust system, the ZX-14 meets noise standards by producing minimal internal mechanical noise. A special piston profile and a urethane insulation sheet on the inside of the magnesium chain cover help quiet the engine and permit a freer flowing exhaust for greater power.
The ZX-14’s chassis design is every bit the equal of its power plant. Using an advanced version of Kawasaki’s unique aluminum monocoque design, its frame is lightweight and very strong. Die cast aluminum sections on the main frame make for lighter parts, keeping the weight down even more on the slim and compact frame.
The narrow engine, monocoque frame, and fuel tank provide a slim rider interface and a relaxed sport riding position. It is compact without being cramped, with its easy-to-reach bar position, low-set footpegs for ample legroom and a low seat height and narrow seat front to easily plant both feet on the ground when stopped. Comfort levels are high enough to cause riders to think they’re on a dedicated sport tourer — until the ZX-14’s throttle is twisted. When that happens, all confusion disappears, like so many competitors in the rear view mirrors.
Uninterrupted fairing lines give the ZX-14 a smooth, flowing appearance from front to rear, due in part to the monocoque frame, which goes over the engine and doesn’t protrude through the cowling. Quadruple projector beam headlights adorn the ZX-14’s front fairing, immediately beneath its menacing ram air intake duct. The turn signals are cleanly integrated into the fairing and rear cowl, with a unique “V” design LED tail lamp capping off a sleek, aerodynamic package that reinforces Kawasaki’s aircraft heritage.
The Ninja ZX-14’s blend of power, handling and style perfectly illustrates the potent technological know-how of Kawasaki’s highly-trained engineers.
1,352cc Four-Cylinder, DOHC Engine
- Tuned to provide smooth power across a very wide rev range, while producing impressive horsepower numbers
- Chrome composite plated aluminum cylinder bores are lightweight, durable, and quickly carry heat away from the combustion chamber and piston for supreme durability at high power outputs
- Carefully planned engine design is compact and narrow
- Low mechanical noise via special piston profile and urethane insulation sheet on the inside of the magnesium chain cover
- Airflow into the exhaust from the large secondary air ports in the cylinder head and head cover, plus a third honeycomb catalyzer in the collector help meet strict Euro III emissions standards
- Internal silencer construction minimizes impact of emissions regulations while maintaining impressive top-end power
- Exhaust connecting tube entrances are designed to enhance low rpm torque characteristics
Gear-Driven Dual Engine Balancers
- Already in perfect primary balance, dual secondary balancers virtually eliminate unwanted vibrations for extremely smooth engine operation and reduced rider fatigue
Ram Air Induction
- Central ram air duct draws the cooler, higher-pressure air from the face of the fairing and efficiently guides it through the air cleaner and into the engine for maximum power output
Digital Fuel Injection
- 44mm Mikuni throttle bodies are fitted with sub-throttle valves, controlled by the ECU to provide precise response, make DFI® performance smoother, and help meet Euro III emission requirements
- Intake porting optimizes flow characteristics
- Injectors deliver lateral spray at a 20 degree angle to disperse the finely-atomized fuel over a wider area
- Fine-atomizing injectors produce 75μm droplet size
- 32-bit ECU works with dual throttle valve system to further enhance throttle response and control
- Digital Timing Advance enhances low-and mid-range power
- Individual spark plug-mounted ignition coils fire each of the four sparkplugs independently to achieve the optimum timing for that cylinder at that instant
- ECU includes an idle speed control system for easier starting and warm-up
Radial Pump Clutch Master Cylinder
- Hydraulic clutch features a radial-pump clutch master cylinder for smooth and precise clutch engagement and feel
Next-Generation Monocoque Aluminum Frame
- Lightweight, monocoque frame is a hollow aluminum box that arches over the engine from the steering head to the swing arm pivot. It is narrow, strong, rigid and very light
- Frame’s cast aluminum sections - steering head and swing arm pivot areas — are produced with a die casting process for further weight savings
- Rigidly mounted engine is a stressed frame member, which increases the frame’s torsional rigidity and saves approximately four pounds
- Engine positioned forward in the frame, with the wheelbase and front/rear weight balance carefully designed to achieve high-speed stability and responsive handling
- Massive head pipe casting contributes to frame rigidity
- Frame houses the air box and air filter in a space-saving design that simplifies air cleaner maintenance
- Battery is also housed within the frame and has simple access through the back side of the frame
- Inverted 43mm cartridge type front fork utilizes damping rates that offer stiff initial action to resist front-end dive when braking
- Stepless damping adjustment improves suspension performance
- Excellent control and feedback from fully adjustable bottom-link UNI-TRAK® rear suspension
- Linkage rates provide linear suspension action
- Bottom-link design helps create a lower center of gravity, which makes the motorcycle more nimble
- Wheel rim center ribs are slightly offset so tire balance weights can be located precisely along the wheel’s centerline
Radial Mounted Petal Front Disc Brakes
- Radial mounted four-piston front brake calipers offer greater rigidity than traditional caliper mounting, to improve brake feel
- A separate brake pad is used for each piston. Individual pads provide increased cooling efficiency and can absorb more heat without deforming, so they maintain a consistent brake feel longer
- Petal design brake discs provide better cooling and warp resistance
- Radial-pump front brake master cylinder improves brake performance and lever feel
Wind Tunnel-Designed Bodywork
- Monocoque frame goes over the engine so the sleek fairing is uninterrupted by protruding frame spars, adding to the extremely long and low styling
- Both the front and rear turn signals are integrated into the bodywork and have clear lenses to enhance the appearance
- Quadruple projector beam headlights give the ZX-14 a distinctive front fairing. The outer lights contain position lamps and the high beams, while the low beams are in the center lamps
- Lightweight Denso radiator with high-density cores provides maximum cooling efficiency
- White faced dual analog speedometer and tachometer are easy to read
- Multi-function LCD digital display includes an odometer, two trip meters, fuel gauge, gear position indicator and a clock
- Programmable shift indicator lamp illuminates at pre-set rpm to signal rider upshift
- Programmable clutch engagement lamp illuminates at pre-set rpm to signal the rider to engage the clutch
- Controller Area Network (CAN) interface between the gauges uses fewer wires yet allows a greater volume of information, such as estimated fuel mileage, to be exchanged
- Engine: Four-stroke, liquid-cooled, DOHC, four valve per cylinder, inline-four
- Displacement: 1,352cc
- Bore x stroke: 84.0 x 61.0mm
- Compression ratio: 12.0:1
- Fuel system: DFI® with four 44mm Mikuni throttle bodies
- Ignition: TCBI with Digital Advance
- Transmission: Six speed
- Final drive: X-Ring chain
- Rake / trail: 23 degrees / 3.7 in.
- Front Tire: 120/70 ZR17
- Rear Tire: 190/50 ZR17
- Wheelbase: 57.5 in.
- Front suspension / wheel travel: 43mm inverted cartridge fork with adjustable preload, 13-way compression and 11-way rebound damping adjustment / 4.6 in.
- Rear suspension / wheel travel: Bottom-Link UNI-TRAK® and gas-charged shock with adjustable preload, stepless rebound and compression damping adjustments, adjustable ride height / 4.8 in.
- Front Brakes: Dual semi-floating 310 mm petal discs with dual radial-mounted four-piston calipers
- Rear Brakes: Single 250mm petal disc with twin-piston caliper
- Overall length: 85.4 in.
- Overall width: 29.9 in.
- Overall height: 46.1 in.
- Ground clearance: 4.9 in.
- Seat height: 31.5 in.
- Curb weight: 566.7 lbs.
- Fuel capacity: 5.8 gal.
- Color: Candy Persimmon Red, Metallic Titanium/Metallic Spark Black