Kawasaki World banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts
Just down at RnR cycles with Shiphtee last weekend. I managed to get 60 hp from the little 250 ninja. I still have some tuning to do. I am excited to run the mile on this beast.

The next race for me is September. But I will 1/4 mile the bike first.

Attachments

This is a dyno run from February. After I put my foot down I hit the button. This was a 55 HP day. We made about sixty pulls to get it sorted.

The bike is highly modified to use nitrous. It has forged pistons 12.5 to 1 and a custom exhaust to help get the stuff out. Plus custom fuel system carbs and a completely different ignition system.
I am not sure how a stock bike would do with nitrous. The exhaust is a bit restricted.

dyno feb 2013 009 - YouTube
This is a dyno run from February. After I put my foot down I hit the button. This was a 55 HP day. We made about sixty pulls to get it sorted.

The bike is highly modified to use nitrous. It has forged pistons 12.5 to 1 and a custom exhaust to help get the stuff out. Plus custom fuel system carbs and a completely different ignition system.
I am not sure how a stock bike would do with nitrous. The exhaust is a bit restricted.
how do you fair against 600cc bikes now though. Can you take them easily?

I have decided to convert the nitrous bike from CR Specials to fuel injection. The fuel injection should work much better with nitrous than carbs. My hope is that any mixture changes from the nitrous will be compensated for with the fuel I injection.
This is a major upgrade that involves a lot of little changes and then an exhausting amount of testing and dyno tuning.

I had 61.5 HP on the last dyno run. I am sure I can do better. Also I have also taken the cylinder out to 66 mm. That makes the engine 282cc.
To make room for the wiring fuel pump and stuff. I extended the swing arm 2.5 inches. This allows me to stay in the modified class.

Attachments

Yes unfortunately I am sort of stalled on the turbo bike. I say sorta because I was going to get the turbo bike running without the turbo. Just to sort the fuel injection and cooling system. But I have zero money. So by sorting the FI on the nitrous bike will accomplish what I need go know regarding the turbo.
As for power I am already making 60 . I would like to get close to 80.I have Carrillo rods and ARP studs head work big pistons. Once I get it all together we will see what happens.
Because I race the mile and want to run Bonneville ( five miles) I need to make a nitrous system that can remain consistent over that distance. Spraying nitrous for more than a few seconds changes everything. Exhaust gas temp must be monitrored very close.

I understand the no money gig....lol.

Why do you need to spray for 5 miles? The bike will get to max velocity NA by the 1/2 mile, you work on max tuck for 4 miles, watching gps speed, get all you can from your riding position and then spray the last 1/2 mile???

cmg

To set a record at Bonneville I need to make two passes one in each direction then the two speeds are averaged.
The track is five miles long. First mile is to get the engine warm and into sixth gear. About 100 mph.When I hit the second mile I start to spray the nitrous . When I go through the third mile ,I enter the first measured mile. I need to hold my tuck and watch the fuel mixture and exhaust temp. Then I hit the second measured mile I do the same . Then a mile to slow and stop. If that goes well I go to impound and turn it around refuel new plugs and refill the bottle and do it again.

Its five miles of spray total, but not all at once. About two or two and a half miles of spray.
They don't measure top speed . They measure the time it takes to cover a mile.sorry for the confusion.

I finished the swing arm extention. I can only extend it 2.5 inches and still be legal for modified class. This also matches the lengthened frame and rear seating position. The back is raised one inch and the front is down just a little. With the larger rear tire the bike should still be very stable at high speed. It was solid as a rock before.
The main thing is I now have room to mount the starter solenoid and voltage regulator in front of the hugger.
I finished the electrical part of the fuel injection and now I need to run fuel lines mount the fuel pump and regulator. There is not much room in this bike. I just doubled the amount of wire by adding fuel injection.

Attachments

I managed to fit everything in. The fuel pump is mounted in front of the hugger. The regulator is in a nice location and I can see the gauge. I had to change the throttle body fuel pipes from 1/8 BST 27 TO 1/8 NPT 28 . Now I have AN-4 fittings on everything. Still need to weld a bung ton the tank for a fuel return line. So that is the next step. Looks like I will be ready about the same time as the weather.

Attachments

Getting things together for my next race. I put the carbs back on do simplicity sake and moved the FI back to the turbo bike. I left the fuel pump and regulator on so I can have fuel pressure with the nitrous. Before I had a gravity feed fuel system. It worked OK. But the pressurized fuel will be much more consistent. I will get to the dyno soon

Attachments

21 - 36 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.