Kawasaki World banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
48t rear with standard link chain?

I have got a 17t sprocket for the 12 but haven't put it on yet. I also have a spare rear sprocket carrier / hub. I have been searching old posts to find out if I can just get a 48t rear sprocket to put on while using the standard number of links on the chain. Some posts state it would be too tight for this with the standard 18t front sprocket, but I would like any input from those who have tried it. Is it better for the chain / sprockets to just do the front 17t sprocket?. I don't think I will be going the 17t front / 48t rear option.

Cheers,

Don.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Hi Don , mine did ! I got rid of one link with the 16 front to have the wheel as far ford as possible .

Edit , I may have got rid of one link with the 17/48 ? its been a while so I can't really remember 100% ..
From memory it was a tight fit . I may have to start writing everything i do ! lol .

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for replies, I may have given too much info in one sentence though! I am wondering if I can use the stock 18t front with a 48t rear on standard links length of chain. Or I'm just not reading you fellas right (very possible!).

Cheers,

Don.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Yes , i got my 17 toothed front sprocket when i bought my stacks .My original setup was 18 / 48 when i got my wheels .

·
Registered
5,120 Posts
18/48 should just fit the stock length chain. I wouldn't bother though. Once you go 17/48 you'll never use anything else.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
18/48 should just fit the stock length chain. I wouldn't bother though. Once you go 17/48 you'll never use anything else.
+1 , get a speedo healer so the bike doesn't clock up numbers you aren't doing ! PS 16 /48 is Awesome ! Great gearing for SMSP and roll on's with s1000rr's :lol:.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Goodo! I will go with the rear 48t on the spare hub at this stage. My thinking is for the track when I do the Philip Isl. track ride days later in the year. I ride over so the stock gearing is good for that. Then when at the track I can use a rear paddock stand and swap the hub over easily to give a bit more low end pick up. If I like the set up I may just put the 17t on the front later. I have a speedo healer, just got to set it up, I currently run a 200/55 on rear so would think the speedo is about right at the moment (possibly). Anyway will confirm some time.

Maxumis, you do track days don't you? I guess you find the 17/48 combo pretty good? I find with stock gearing corners like Honda corner and MG corner on Ph. Isd. tend to bog down the bike compared to others racing past me (umm..not that it's a race mind you...). Would be good to be able to get better pick up at those points.

Don.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I find with stock gearing corners like Honda corner and MG corner on Ph. Isd. tend to bog down the bike compared to others racing past me (umm..not that it's a race mind you...). Would be good to be able to get better pick up at those points.

Don.
I found that people with good traction control can leave me in every corner exit. While they open the throttle wide and expect the traction control to limit the spin and save their asses, I open the throttle carefully and expect to find myself coming down from great height. I have left the odd black line... but more brown ones! :rotflmao:

I know I ride like a big girl, but I've done sessions on an S1000RR and the bike makes you feel confident opening the throttle much earlier.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Shep I know what you mean! I feel like I have to carefully feed in the throttle at those corners while others on newer machinery simple throttle on an piss off! I am however looking for a little more 'oomph' down low.

Like you I'm not the best rider on the track but after having done a few over the years I know where I stand in the pecking order, and I'm happy with that, it's all about riding over there (800kms/500 odd miles), having two days on the track, then riding back, it tends to give me a more cautious throttle hand knowing I have to ride back again, quite apart from my own limitations!

Don.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Goodo! I will go with the rear 48t on the spare hub at this stage. My thinking is for the track when I do the Philip Isl. track ride days later in the year. I ride over so the stock gearing is good for that. Then when at the track I can use a rear paddock stand and swap the hub over easily to give a bit more low end pick up. If I like the set up I may just put the 17t on the front later. I have a speedo healer, just got to set it up, I currently run a 200/55 on rear so would think the speedo is about right at the moment (possibly). Anyway will confirm some time.

Maxumis, you do track days don't you? I guess you find the 17/48 combo pretty good? I find with stock gearing corners like Honda corner and MG corner on Ph. Isd. tend to bog down the bike compared to others racing past me (umm..not that it's a race mind you...). Would be good to be able to get better pick up at those points.

Don.
Hi Don , I use a 16/48 at EC and it works out good , I hit top gear at the end of the straight but also not to bad on the road ! never been to Philip island (thou I would love to) but I think the 17/48 combo would be good as it's a high speed track . PS at EC I don't hit the limiter in top gear thou but as you asked ,exit speeds are Awesome with both gears meaning 16 front or 17 !!:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Aussiesteve, looks like 17/48 is the winning combo for a few fellas here, may be tempted but want to try the 18/48 first with just swapping over the spare hub at the track as per my previous post. Though I wouldn't be surprised if I do the 17/48 before hand!

Maxumis, certainly sounds like a good combo for the track.

I'm starting to weaken toward the 17/48...you buggers....

Don.

·
Super Moderator
1,276 Posts
Haha I'm thinking of going for 17/48 too!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts