Kawasaki World banner

5 gears on my zx 12r

826 views 7 replies 2 participants last post by  bikerdude02 
can u give me any tips i have the 2000 a1 usually hear problems with first and second gear not 6th
I'd start with the easiest area to access. Pull the clutch basket and you can access the gear change mechanism. If you get the rear wheel off the ground and spin it by hand, you can work your way through the gearbox. Have a look at the gearchange mechanism for a reason why you're missing a gear.

Out of curiousity, what happens in 5th, when you try to shift into 6th? Are you getting the full shift movement, or is it solid, ie no movement when you shift?

Ok so when I try to shift into 6th gear the shift lever does not move at all does that mean anything or give any clues on my problem
It suggests that when you're trying to shift, something is stopping it, rather than not engaging somewhere. My suspicion is that you have a bent shift fork, but as I mentioned before, start by removing the clutch basket and check the shift mechanism. If it's not the shift mechanism, then you're into engine out territory and splitting the crankcases.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.