Kawasaki World banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So as the title says, I cannot get the bike to start! The lights all work when I turn the key, but when you push the button to start there is no response. The motor turns over so it's not locked up, if you jump the solenoid the motor turns over. This bike is a project bike so when I purchased it, it was not running. Another problem I have is there is 2 wires that connect to the fuel pump. One is blue with a black stripe, and the other is a yellow with a black stripe. When I connect the blue wire the fuel pump runs with no ignition on. The fuel light gauge flashes when I turn the key on. I changed some of the relays but I really don't know which is which. I did the one under the tail light and theres two more hanging on the left side and I replaced one of them that was the smaller one and I still haved fixed the problem. I also replaced the sidestand switch, and how do I test the lockout on the clutch? I am trying to get the bike running and I believe I only have a few electrical/wiring issues. Any help is appreciated!:puzzled:

·
Registered
107 Posts
So as the title says, I cannot get the bike to start! The lights all work when I turn the key, but when you push the button to start there is no response. The motor turns over so it's not locked up, if you jump the solenoid the motor turns over. This bike is a project bike so when I purchased it, it was not running. Another problem I have is there is 2 wires that connect to the fuel pump. One is blue with a black stripe, and the other is a yellow with a black stripe. When I connect the blue wire the fuel pump runs with no ignition on. The fuel light gauge flashes when I turn the key on. I changed some of the relays but I really don't know which is which. I did the one under the tail light and theres two more hanging on the left side and I replaced one of them that was the smaller one and I still haved fixed the problem. I also replaced the sidestand switch, and how do I test the lockout on the clutch? I am trying to get the bike running and I believe I only have a few electrical/wiring issues. Any help is appreciated!:puzzled:
Bill: In any weather the bike should start on a full choke. Therefore try to run the engine a few more turns at full choke and then remove the fuel tank and check one of the plugs for fuel fouling. If the plug or plugs are wet, you check the spark to make sure that there's no problem. Finding the plugs dry means that no fuel is going to the carbs and you should check the pump off the engine because they do fail even if the wiring is good. Whatever you do don't buy a used pump because even if is working by now it must have a lot of miles and it can leave you stranded in the middle of nowhere and tow trucks are expensive (it's not worth it). Finding no problem in those 2 areas you must remove the carbs and clean them specially the idle jets. The standard setting for the air screws is 2 turns out but without tightening the screw, just reach bottom and count 2 turns. You have to go trough all of this because the bike wasn't running and you need to start from scratch.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok the main problem is the bike is not turning over. I turn the key and push the start but nothing is cranking. With the lights on the dash: the red fuel light is flashing. I have already cleaned the carbs and tuned them properly. The entire fairing is off and also the fuel tank? What troubleshooting steps do I need to perform with the problems I have listed above ? Thanks for the help so far.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Ok the main problem is the bike is not turning over. I turn the key and push the start but nothing is cranking. With the lights on the dash: the red fuel light is flashing. I have already cleaned the carbs and tuned them properly. The entire fairing is off and also the fuel tank? What troubleshooting steps do I need to perform with the problems I have listed above ? Thanks for the help so far.
From a distance I can only guess and you are the one with the answers. Do you have a
fully charged battery? if so, check the starter relay right besides the battery on the outside of frame. Do not go on a wild goose chase and proceed one step at the time before going to the next. Not having a shop manual or knowledge of the electrical system makes things difficult for you. Try to get hold of one because Chilton or Haynes
are cheap ($20 or so) and then check the wiring properly yourself because is the only way to find the fault. You will also need a tester to check continuity and voltage following the manual for instructions.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts

Ok you said it is turning over/cranking and you said it isn't turning over/cranking. Which one is it. Is it turning over/cranking but not starting???

·
Registered
44 Posts
A factory service manual does wonders here.. otherwise you're in the dark.
If your wires are a mystery??? then you NEED the schematic..

How do you know the carbs are cleaned and set at correct baseline?
You tuned them? how?

You need the FSM.. You can DOWNLOAD it in PDF format.

Also, you did send some mixed messages as ZXLNT pointed out..
Is the bike turning over?
Is the bike turning over when you push the button?
Is the bike turning over when you jump the starter?

Check your voltage on the battery.
When its low.. the button will *click*

Try to address one problem at a time in a clear concise manner.. it will make it easier to give you the correct information.

Cheers!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had similar problem on my 92 ZX11 I was going bonkers, I found out I was missing the 2 diode plugs at the end of the harness, looks like a plastic plug with 2 electrical spade hook up, should be 2 of them If I remember correctly it's been awhile.

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
If you jump the solenoid, I would suspect that your issue with cranking. As for fuel wiring, you need a volt.meter to determine which wire is a constant 12vDC and which one is switched. I don't have one of these, and don't know which wire is which, but I'm sure one has to be switched. Maybe one supplies the 12v and the other is the trigger with the key. You say it cranks when you jump the solenoid, so your starter is good. This is where I would start troubleshooting. Get it cranking properly, then sort out the fuel delivery, and then if still no start, look at ignition. Hubz will tell you to check compression. Maybe it's just wired wrong for starting, or the solenoid or start button are junk. Start small and work your way up and keep a good multimeter on hand for testing.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hello KW forum. I am late to the party and brand new here. I am having the same problems as this fellow. I have down loaded a zx1100 manual, replaced starter solenoid (did not need to), new fuel pump (didn't need one), new starter relay, new IC igniter, cleaned the carbs and jets, new battery. When I turn on the bike, lights come on but when I push the start button :crickets: nothing turns over. If I jump the solenoid engine cranks, smell gas coming out of the spark plug ports, but I do not see any spark at the any of the spark plugs. I have pulled all four, took off the ICs and tested them, they seem to be ok. I have followed and tested to the best of my ability all electrical that I can. I am stumped. This is apparently above my pay grade.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had similar problem on my 92 ZX11 I was going bonkers, I found out I was missing the 2 diode plugs at the end of the harness, looks like a plastic plug with 2 electrical spade hook up, should be 2 of them If I remember correctly it's been awhile.
I might be an idiot, but where are these magical diodes? Any pictures? Been through the service manual and they show under the seat on the fender, but there are nothing like that in that location that I could see. The wiring diagram doesn't show a connector for it either.

BTW I have a 1990 ZX11.

I came out from a coffee and no starter crank. Luckily I was on a hill and it fired up no problem.

Trouble shot from multiple angles and found I was getting 12V out of starter button but not into Black wire into the junction box. Running a jumper from the starter switch to the Pin on the junction box and it cranked and fired fine.

Thanks,
Rod

·
Registered
27 Posts
I think I know what you are talking about. I found to empty, white, plastic covered "spade" connectors. What do they connect too or what diodes are you talking about?

Empty Connectors.jpg

Front of the bike is on the left of the pic and back of the bike on the right.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Have you tried to fiddle with your clutch switch. I did not even know that I had such a thing on the bike until I read it on this thread

http://kawasakiworld.com/zx-11/52092-bike-won-t-start.html

I started messing with the clutch to see if the bike would start in neutral with the clutch engaged. Bike fired right up. I think that I am getting my gremlins worked out.

Thanks Kawasaki Forum. Go KawasakiWorld.com:thumbup:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Sounds like a simple lecy fault.if I've found wires cut\broken check get yourself a manual reconnect allwires then check kill switch clutch switch stand switch check power feed signal feed with ignition on .had 2 zzr 11 before my zx12 all very reliable machines .woohoo!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Does your neutral switch work?

Does it show the green N in the dash when you try to start the bike?

Do you press the clutch lever down while trying to start?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts