Kawasaki World banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
got an issue with a 92 zx11 c3. Seem to have power to the fuel pumo even with ignition off. tested starter solenoid, key switch and fuel pump relay, all test ok. Is it safe to assume i have a bad fuel pump?

the only other odd thing is that the fan and acc circuits are also ALWAY live. even with key off.... is this normal?

all wiring appears to be stock/ un messed with.

thanks !

·
Registered
107 Posts
got an issue with a 92 zx11 c3. Seem to have power to the fuel pumo even with ignition off. tested starter solenoid, key switch and fuel pump relay, all test ok. Is it safe to assume i have a bad fuel pump?

the only other odd thing is that the fan and acc circuits are also ALWAY live. even with key off.... is this normal?

all wiring appears to be stock/ un messed with.

thanks !
I assume that you have a shop manual, either factory or aftermarket; if you do, check the circuits and you'll see that the fuel pump as well as accessories and anything else is controlled by the ignition switch. Additionally, a short would blow a fuse and discharge the battery. How do you know that the circuits that you mentioned are live with ignition off? The fuel pump runs on demand only and only works when the fuel level goes down and then stops in an on/off cycle and it does't run all the time.
Let me know how you're doing in your search

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
SCRDMGL,

right, thats what i thought. however, all my tests are teling me otherwise, and all the systems work, the bike runs, shuts off, no blown fuses, no shorts...

but with the bike off, the fuel pump is powered, clicks eveynow and then, and if left to sit for a few days, the battery will be low.
If you unplug the fuel pump relay however, the battery looses nothing.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Barnstorm:

The relay is energized by the ignition switch, therefore the circuit is kept live by the switch somehow. You didn't mention if you have access to a electrical diagram for this bike. Are you sure that you're switching the bike to off or to stand-by, that would explain the live circuit; otherwise the switch is faulty.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts