Kawasaki World banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to see if my cam chain has skipped a tooth. Is there anyway to do so without having to pull the motor and split the case?

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Did you turn the engine over 360 degrees after you installed the cam? Yes or no. That tags one set of valves. Did you turn the engine over another 360 degrees, yes or no? That took care of the intakes.

So before you begin to find out without pulling engine... Did you crank it over?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah when I crank it over it makes a horrible grinding sound and I was told that my cam chain has probably skipped a tooth

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Since it's turned over, the damage has been done. Now, check compression. If you have compression, it's the cam chain needing another adjustment.

Another thing is 'wear pattern' noise. Since day one, that cam and chain were wearing each other out and continue to run the same pattern over and over. Now you didn't key in the gear to tooth, created another pattern, the noise is slight if not vibration, etc.

So a cam chain reset [if mechanical] not automatic needs to be addressed. If it's auto, then it's possible you are still tagging parts = Tear down.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts