Kawasaki World banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just changed pads today and noticed a O-ring twisted op inside.
After pushing the piston out to set it I noticed it was stretched and needs to be replaced. For now I just removed it because it is not leaking or anything but now after bleeding the brakes and taking a test ride I noticed it feels like it is dragging and when i press the brake petal I have nothing in the back. The caliper piston did look pretty bad but what I would like to know is should I try rebuilding the master and caliper or just replace it?
PS even with the brake line off and bleeder valve out I had a rough time compressing the piston. Could it be that it is stuck? What are your thoughts on this?
Noob owner of 98 zx6r project bike.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Zaden, hopefully my challenges will help you. I'd recommend ordering the rebuild kit for the master cylinder and rear caliper and going through it all. It's not very difficult, just time consuming. I used a miti-vac hand pump to do my brake bleeding. And yes, you need both seals in each side of your rear caliper. If the pistons are not scored on the sides, you can reuse them after cleaning with steel wool.

https://www.kawasakiworld.com/zx-12r/66860-rear-brake-issue-cont-d-please-help-me-troubleshoot.html#post705818

1 - 2 of 2 Posts