Kawasaki World banner

9r AirBox

3K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  Eric Landstrom 
G
#1 ·
I recently picked up a 2002 9R. I am new to sportbikes preferring cruisers in the past.

I need to get into the airbox b/c I got caught in some heavy rain. It is not straight forward like my past bikes and the owner's manual is no help.

Help appreciated!

</p>

G
#3 ·
I got a 6R and have been in and out of the air box many times - I may be of some help if you want.

BTW - what color is that 9R? I've ben eyeballing one at my local dealer and would like to trade up in the future - maybe if they get some FI on the 9R.

</p>

G
#4 ·
Thanks man!

Mines the Kawa Green. I'm still in break-in but I think this bike is going to be the perfect balance of comfort, power, and agility. Sure there are faster, lighter open class bikes, but I will sacrifice track performance for comfort.

Anyway, back to the airbox. After I remove the 4 bolts that hold down the tank, What hoses do I need to disconnect? There is the one leading to the fuel shutoff and several others it appears. What do you do on your 6R?

Thanks twisted!

</p>

G
#5 ·
To get into the airbox you'll need to turn the fuel off, pull the hose and lift the tank off. By the way, remove the front bolts to the tank first and lay a towel under the tabs to keep from scratching the backbone of the frame. After that, to just pull the top cover of the air box just take out the 12(?) bolts on the outer edges of the box and that's it...The hose on the right side held by the clip can be pulled aside......

Sunshine

</p>

G
#7 ·
All you kids out there with pipes and dont know where the airbox is? I weep for the future.

For the record:

If you change your exaust flow you need to change the way it breathes and flows fuel.

If your friend is terribly patient then he can hold the tank. It really isnt that difficult to remove the 2 hoses and re-attach them though.

You should all open your airboxes periodically, K&N or no... ram air.. you would be surprised at the ammount of bug parts in there.

Ride hard.

</p>

#9 ·
hello

yea hes right 4 bolts one hose and then 8 bolts on the air box ,i took out the filter washed it with soap and water it was filthy dirty . in the center was a black color dirt and grime, with legs and wings of insects . the filter comes apart just split the plastic retainer it pops out with a snap ,then you can wash both filters in dishwashing liquid .then spray them with k&n filter oil and wring out the excess oil and walla you are ready for 5000 more miles .the fuzzy filter goes on bottom then the foam then the screen and pop the plastic retainer back on . now my 2001 zx9 with scorpion titanium exhaust will pull your arms out of the sockets ,this cleaning trick really works and its free.............hope this helps my gas mileage hahahah

#12 ·
I call my ram air Kawi, "rolling bug vacuum"

On the late 9, don't forget to shut off first, then remove the petcock knob (#2 phillips head screwdriver) or, you can't remove the tank. Then, take the front seat off, removing the rear seat first and undoing the 10mm bolt and hold-down you find near the front of the cavity. Then, undo the 4 allen head hold downs on the tank. Then lift tank and disconnect the 1 fuel fuel line to the fuel filter and put tank aside in a safe place.

Now, remove the 7 10 mm headed bolts, you can now remove the top of the airbox and the filter for cleaning. Don't wash and reoil the filter unless it's super filthy. I brush it lightly with a soft brush to get the big chunks out. It's at best, a 10 minute job if you have the tools at hand. Newbie? spend a little more time getting familiar with what's under there; it's fun anyway.

HTH,

KC

#14 ·
Simple

You need a #2 Phillips, a 10 mm socket and, what, a 5mm allen wrench.

Pop off your passenger seat.

Pull out the 10mm bolt holding down the rider's seat retainer.

Pull the rider's seat off.

Get out your phillips screw drive and pull the black, plastic petcock on the left side. While you're there, reach in with your hand and compress the fuel line clamp attached to the petcock and pull off the black hose.

Back out the four 5mm allens that are obviously holding down the fuel tank.

Lift the fuel tank from the rear moving to the right so as to clear the petcock.

Don't be afraid of the little black vent hose that tags along with the fuel tank, but do note how it is routed.

Pull out the seven 10mm bolts holding the top of the airbox and not that one of the bolts on the right has a wiring loom on it.

Lift off the top of the airbox.

Pull out the air filter noting that the metal screen points upward.

Look into your airbox and notice that there is a water drain at the bottom.

Button it all up again and never consider water in the airbox a problem again unless you ride with swamp buggies.

Best regards,

Eric Landstrom

PS: BTW, putting in an aftermarket air filter will give you less power.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.