Kawasaki World banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
... The esso station in my town had new tanks installed last year, then recently switched over to Shell a few weeks back. Finally good clean fuel. The last tank on the 9r with "moderate" use neted 50 mpg (cdn gallon-4.6 litres). This tank-53 mpg.:scared:..awesome. Al(zx996), mentioned that when he originally bought the 9r that he recalls the previous owner mentioning that the needles were adjusted for the aftermarket pipe. This thing is pulling so hard on the top end that i would be shocked if it had the stock main jets in it. Still have to keep reminding myself at times its only a 900..lol
...I thought it was running strong before but today the outside temperature was getting on the hot side around these parts....finally, and the bike's jetting seemed to improve accordingly. I noticed that the mixture screw tabs on the carbs have not been drilled out. I am holding myself back from having the carbs dialed in to get perhaps that 1 or 2 hp that might still be available. The bike does not have any "surging" or flat spots that i have read about with the stock jetting. It is smooth everywhere and just pulls hard wailing to redline. And the gas milege is great. Im really afraid something might get messed up in an attempt to extract those 1-2 hp.Feels like a mini 12r.It really does have a "similar" violent explosion as the tack rushes to redline, just to a lesser degree than the 12r.:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
The 9r with pipe feels very similar to a mini 12.. the lack of torque.. relative to a r1 just makes it seem that much faster when the top end explodes with full beans...

Def a great bike... i have two in my stable right now... stock with no third... lol... but with full muzzy... just a fast fast bike... and such a - cant go slow bike... just urges u to push since its telepathic handling...

And a street fighter with triumph 675 swingarm and honda i think upside down forks... and gsxr headlight... ill post pics eventually...

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The 9r with pipe feels very similar to a mini 12.. the lack of torque.. relative to a r1 just makes it seem that much faster when the top end explodes with full beans...

Def a great bike... i have two in my stable right now... stock with no third... lol... but with full muzzy... just a fast fast bike... and such a - cant go slow bike... just urges u to push since its telepathic handling...

And a street fighter with triumph 675 swingarm and honda i think upside down forks... and gsxr headlight... ill post pics eventually...
...Yesterday i was going through some tight twisty back roads at a leisurely pace of 80-85mph. The 9r seemed to be in its element. Handles like a dream. Can really flick it around like a 600. feels as stable as a rock in tight corners.

·
Registered
430 Posts
You seem to be enjoying that thing far too much. I think I sold it far too cheap:rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::bonk:

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You seem to be enjoying that thing far too much. I think I sold it far too cheap:rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::bonk:
...I have been reading for years about how the magazine testers were comparing the 98+ 9r model to more cutting edge race track ready gsxr's, r1's saying that the 9r falls slightly behind the pack on a racetrack but in the real world where the bike spends 99% of its time which is on the street, it leads them all. I could not agree more. Great power, fuel economy and comfort and a proven track record for reliability and simplicity. Whats not to like.The 9r was the second pick to the 12r when i was looking to buy a used bike 4 years ago. The 12r was an awesome bike. The 9r is still full of thrills also, which i am finding out everytime i take it out.:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know if i put on a set of well tuned aftermarket fcr's or mikunis i could have a lot of fun messing around with some gsxr1000's. Probally stick to their ass like flys on shit..:crackup:. But thats $1000 im not willing to part with. A low milege 04/05 zx10r can be had around these parts for $4000.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts