Kawasaki World banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since the ride last weekend when I saw an indicated 315kmh ,I was wondering how accurate the speedo was with the gearing I am currently using (18/44)? So I borrowed a gps and went for a ride.
I only tested up to 150kmh and found there was a 3% error,so if that translates accurately at twice that, I hit a pretty close to genuine 305kmh(190mph)! :wink:
I'm running a pretty tired 190 pilot sport on the rear,so I reakon a new rear tyre will put it pretty close to "bang on".

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Just curious, why did you go with a 44t rear? It probably won't add much to your top end unless you are cranking out some SERIOUS hp and it will take away considerably from your acceleration. An otherwise stock ZX12r with a header has a difficult time hitting the rev limiter in top gear with the stock gearing much less a 44t rear. If you can't hit the rev limiter in top gear, you are probably not reaching your top end potential. The ZX12r is already geared a little high from the factory.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The 44t was never an attempt at top speed ,it was the gearing I was running last weekend when out on a ride with the lads.And afterwards I wondered just how far the speedo would be out? That is why I tried the gps on the bike .
I'm begining to like the 18/44 combo,being real nice for open road work(it doesn't get any round town stuff),and I even tried it at the drags and ran a 9.93 and over 147mph :D Not optimum gearing for "getting out of the hole" thats for sure!
As far as top speed goes I think that comes down to the bikes power charachteristics as far as gearing is concerned.Even though you may not hit the limiter in top you may be well past peak hp and torque is really dropping off.Bringing the rpm back just a wee bit may give a WEE bit more top end?
In "sport rider" oct 2001 issue they got 0.7mph gain by going to a 45t over the 46.(piped pc3r etc)
I guess it comes down to trial and error?

psych

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
I do see how that would be nice for highway cruising. Probably just idling along at 100 mph. I've got mine geared WAY low and the only time I wish it were higher is when I'm on the highway. Other than that though, I like the low gearing. Which GPS did you use BTW? I've been thinking about getting one for just that purpose. I've got a yellow box but I've only clocked it with a "side of the road" radar trailer. I'm sure the GPS would be much more accurate.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The gps is an Eagle "expidition II". It's not really aimed at an automotive usage but it did the job OK. :)

·
Registered
649 Posts
GARMIN "ETREX"....$120.00 at Wal-mart. Does everything I'll ever need. Turned it on in the parking lot..worked on the way home.
Thanks Mark :D

·
Registered
5,698 Posts

·
Registered
12,494 Posts
18/43 = 2.388 ratio....anybody need a push to get going :shock:

the 18/46 gear was bad enough to get moving at 2.55 ratio....

I'll have to say No Thanks :twisted:

I'll stick with my 17/47=2.76 ratio :twisted:

·
Registered
260 Posts
18/44 GEARING

Workman 1000 remarks........

"I do see how that (18/44 gearing) would be nice for highway cruising. Probably just idling along at 100 mph. I've got mine geared WAY low and the only time I wish it were higher is when I'm on the highway. Other than that though, I like the low gearing. "

I can't see how anyone could actually tour at 100 mph or more on the ZX. For me, there's just too much wind blast to get relaxed in a comfortable body position. Granted I have the higher screen on the '02, but that's offset by Heli bars. Due to differences in body type and tolerance levels, some riders can cruise at higher speeds than others, but I just don't see any extended triple digit cruising for me. We have some county roads in the interior of the penninsula that one can run over 100 mph for 10 to 15 minutes, but after a while my neck muscles start to complain. I would think the fairings on the real sports/touring class bikes would really be advantageous for putting on a lot of miles at high speed.

Conversely, I don't think the ZX is comfortable at speeds under 70 mph either!

OK, OK, .......we didn't buy these rigs to go touring, did we?

Have fun
Bogus
16/46

·
Registered
5,698 Posts
I actually like touring at 90-100mph the wind helps take the weight off my wrists. It feels much better cruising at 100mph than in the city.

zx23rr (Frank) has 18/43 and he seems to like it. He claims it wheelies less off the line and it actually helps his launches.... he beats me everytime we try so I can't argue his logic, but I suck at launching, I just wheelie all over the place, or stall. :lol:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts