Kawasaki World banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I may have a problem with my TPS, I was just wondering if anybody knows the procedure for adjusting it. I have a surging problem at about 2500-3000 rpms that seems like it may fit the description of a TPS issue after reading this article:
http://www.ibmwr.org/r-tech/oilheads/t-screw.shtml

G

·
0 Posts
The zx9r 98 onwards does have a throttle position sensor eventhough
carbed ZX12eR. Great bike too!

If you're not breakin' the law you're not riding!!

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah mines a 2001 zx9r.

"The K-TRIC throttle position sensor (kawi's) offers quicker acceleration and a digital CDI unit alters ignition timing according to engine speed and load."

Essentially what I am trying to figure out is whether I have a vacuum issue (diaphram puncture?), TPS issue, or simply a jetting issue. I was convinced I was a bit rich because the bike ran far better in the cold evening weather than during the hot sun, but a gas analyzer shows pretty close to ideal across the board with a lean spike right around where my surging occurs. I shouldn't be able to cause really narrow band lean spot with simple jetting AFAIK.. so I was thinking either the needle slides aren't opening properly under part throttle, or maybe the TPS is acting up.

·
Registered
150 Posts
As Johnny Carson used to say:

"I did not know that!". :oops:
Thanks for the knowlege! I just got my first ZX9R, a 2002---I love it! :p
I do know that adjusting the TPS on my 12 made a big difference in rideability! Thanks for setting me staight! :idea:
ZX12eR

G

·
0 Posts
ZX12eR,I haven't ridden the 02 9r, my 98 was a cool bike, they are a
very underrated bike I think. I had trouble deciding which one I would
ride between the the 9 and the 12. But destroying the 9 cut my options
down!! :oops:

·
Registered
989 Posts
I think you have a jetting problem.

I would tell you that If you go to the sportsbike.net forum you will find your answer but is not anymore.

Play with the fuel mixture screw.
1-2 turns out to see.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey marcos, if you remember, I was one of the guys askin the same questions in the big oddy/espresso threads on SBN hehe. Shame it went down (RIP).

This particular problem has been persistant through every jetting change so I'm looking for alternative explanations just to cover my bases.

·
Registered
989 Posts
I realy think that all ZX9s owners have to live with that problem.

I remember that Oddy said that when he got rid of it, he lost almos 5 Rw Hp all the way.

Mine at the moment does have it, Im playing next week with my jetting so maybe I will find out something.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I had the same trouble even after jetting mine, but mines a '98, and I bumped up to a #40 pilot jet(slow jet) and smoothed things out.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hmm I'm back on the 38 jet now but the problem seemed to persist with the 40's on and through several mains, float settings etc.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts