Kawasaki World banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to know if anybody on here has done this mod and if the hp gains are true. I notice on the board there is this mod and instructions how to do it. Who on here has done it and what did you notice? Is it something that will instantly void the warranty on the bike and is there any problems that could arrise because of it? Thanks....Rizzo

</p>

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
as long as you avoid detonation with good fuel......
on those long hi-speed runs you make
you should be ok

not sure about the warranty

</p>

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Anybody else done this mod or know much about it? Just checking to see if lots of you do this or very few.Thanks....Rizzo

</p>

·
4,208 Posts
Rule of thumb is no more than 5% ...to avoid pinging and detonation.....gradual increase is better than just puttin 5's across the board......Brian

"The world will little note, nor long remember what we say here, but it can never forget what they did here. It is for us the living, rather, to be dedicated here to the unfinished work which they who fought here have thus far so nobly advanced."..(Abraham Lincoln)....Dont forget those on and after 9-11</p>

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Epstein, Have you got this done to yours? And if so did you notice any difference? ...Thanks...

</p>

·
Registered
759 Posts
Sean...I have definately noticed the difference!!!...When I shift gears during DragRacing I get the kick in ass feeling now!!!

My advance starts at 4000rpms though for the '00 12...No advance in the low RPMs help keep the stumble less...Yes, if you advance timing from 2000rpm the stumble is worse on the 2000 ZX12s with the Muzzy pipe!!!

CrotchRocket

" I just live my life a 1/4 mile at a time "</p>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub56.ezboard.com/bkawasakizx12r.showLocalUserPublicProfile?login=crotchrocket>CrotchRocket</A> 
at: 9/2/02 9:11:43 am

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So are you advancing the timing thru the mod that is described on the web page here or some other way. I would assume that if I advance it manually it would advance it in all rpms? What about having it advanced for long wide open runs? Am I going to cause detonation once I get some heat in the pipes or will I be allright with only 5 %? Thanks

</p>

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Iv'e done a timing mod but only through the Yosh EMS. I went anywhere from 1 deg to 5 degrees advance and the difference was enough to notice through seat of the pants.

"OUR MEMORIES ARE BRIDGES FROM THE PAST;
OUR DREAMS ARE ROADMAPS TO THE FUTURE."</p>

·
Registered
759 Posts
Here is my Ignition table...

500rpm to 3500rpm, 0 advance from 0% to 100%...
4000rpm to 5500rpm, 3 degree advance from 0% to 100%...
6000rpm to 7000rpm, 4 degree advance from 0% to 100%...
7500rpm to 10000rpm,5 degree advance from 0% to 100%...
10500rpm 4 degree advance from 0% to 100%...
11000rpm 2 degree advance from 0% to 100%...
11500rpm to 13000rpm 0 advance from 0% to 100%...

CrotchRocket

" I just live my life a 1/4 mile at a time "</p>

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So nobody on here has done the mod where you actually advance it manually? It sounds like you guys are advancing it thru the rpm range but retarding it back to 0 at wide open? Why is this? Too much advance for wide open running? Let me know...Tks...Rizzo

</p>

·
Registered
759 Posts
I did all my changes while the '00 12 Muzzy pipe was hooked up with ignition on to the computer...

If you leave the 5 degree advance to redline it will damage the motor, so you have to drop the advance as you get to redline!!!

CrotchRocket

" I just live my life a 1/4 mile at a time "

9.67 @ 146.99</p>

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
I have mine advanced much like Crotchrocket. I have heard that you get better peak hp by leaving it up around 4 at 11k. I will be doing a dyno run and trying it with the timing both ways to see which gives the best hp. You can be safe and advance it +3 all the way across and you will definitely feel the difference and it will still run on mid-grade in an emergency. Use the good stuff if at all possible though. A cheap way to do it is to do the pickup mod. Its good for about +3 advance all the way across and its free. The best way to describe it is it makes it rev & decelerate like a dirtbike.

</p>

·
Registered
419 Posts
I used Cliff Randall's ignition table and I noticed that he uses 3's from 9.5k to 13k in the 80% to 100% blocks. Is that still too much advance. I have a '00 12 Muzzy pipe. I haven't had any problems so far, but I definitely don't want to create any.

</p>

·
Registered
10 Posts
i originally did it manually....I had it at +5 degrees using the muzzy timing adjustor. It ran well all the time, no problems. I have since increase my compression so i have gone back to 0 degrees. I would put it at 3-4 and then you know you are safe and you will feel a response change in the bike and if it is stock, it won't start hard either.

</p>

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I don't run more than +3degrees anywhere in the "map"
unless I've got some avgas in the tank and then not more than +5degrees.

If you're not breakin' the law, you're not riding!!

</p>

·
Registered
561 Posts
i am most interested in 80% and 100% throttle, and have mine set at 5 degrees adv from 6000 to redline. I recently did a dyno pull with that set up, then did a back-to-back at 2 degrees and LOST 3hp 9000-11,600.

I used to have a manual Muzzy adv and had it set at 3 degrees adv, ran fine.

</p>

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
I finally got my BMC's in this weekend, so will be hitting the dyno next week. I will try some runs with timing advanced if we've got time. I'll let you all know the results.

"Take two beers and call me in the morning"</p>

1 - 17 of 17 Posts