Kawasaki World banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi folks
My name is Bryan nick name Brynster, I have just bought a 1998 ZX9R, on getting her home and getting off her (still Running) i noticed a really strong smell of fuel from the end can almost smelt like i had spilled half a gallon on my clothes lol, had a friend take a quick look and he said she seems to be running on 3 and 1/2 cylinders and that the cam chain also seemed to be making a bit more noise than he thought it should on idle which did smooth as revs went up he said this could also be caused because she is not running on all 4 pots. I decided the following day to take a closer look so off came the tank air box etc and took out the plugs number 1 was as black as soot 2 3 and 4 were all fine so ive fitted new plugs and the fuel smell doesn't seem as bad and the idle seems a little better although does have a very slight flutter up and down and it is very slight. The guy who i had the Bike off says hes sure she has been jetted and wouldnt be surprised as she seems to go like stink in all gears also has a full system fitted with D&D end can. My question is because im no mechanic is there a way to check the cam chain adjustment without stripping her down and would it be advisable to take her in and have the carbs ballanced or could i just check that all mixture screws are set the same. Forgive the long essay and my ignorance as i say im no mechanic and would appreciate any advice i can get. Love the Bike super fast and handles like a dream. only other issue i have is on bumpy roads the whole front end seems to rattle but think its really just from the floating discs lol i will just have to get used to that i guess
Thanks in advance
Brynster

·
Registered
11 Posts
Mixture screws dont balance the carbs, you need vacuum guages for that, as for the cam chain rattle sometimes the cam chain tensioner tends to stick or jam and needs removing, oiling then working back n forth to get it going properly again but first you need set the timing rotor as if you're doing a valve check before removing it and leave it there till you set and replace the CCT, on replacing you have to follow a specific order or you can damage the tensioner too, download or buy a manual for the bike as theres lots of jobs to improve your nine experience and many don't need a lot of mechanical ability and will save you money over the course of ownership.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
It could be a carb float hight issue, turn the fuel tap to OFF half a mile from home, and turn on when you start the bike, if it improves and does not return, its probably a leaky float valve.

If you want the carbs balanced I'll do it for £20, that includes £10 for bits I'll leave fitted to the bike for the next time you have them done by whoever.

Plus I can check and reset the cam chain tensioner.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies guys much appreciated, Might have to take you up on the ''check and reset the cam chain tensioner.'' ninjayorkie dare say your not a million miles away from me lol, Took the Bike to Chris Gunsters yesterday best bike mechanic around here got him to fully service clean and balance the carbs, He says he was surprised at just how clean they were said they look like new. He did say 2 jets were a little dirty but nothing major but anyway all cleaned and sorted. She seems to run smoother and the smell of fuel isnt quiet as bad but still there a little maby thats down to having a full system front to back with D&D end can Not sure.
The issue i have now is even when warm i have to give her a little throttle whilst trying to start other wise shes having none of it lol not a big deal maby thats even how she is not sure. The 1 thing that is bothering me is after giving her a handful when riding if i say have to stop at lights the revs drop all the way or almost all the way but stays just a little high for say 30 seconds then drops to proper tick over, just a little annoying not really high just like ive set tick-over slightly higher than needed.
This only happens when riding if shes stood in neutral i can give her throttle as high as i like and shes straight back down to tick-over. Also when ticking over if i turn the throttle forward from tick-over position the tick-over dies a little.
Once again not big issues but would like to get her running as right as possible reason being the last bike i had (ZX7R) the revs stuck upen while batting down a country road long story but going round a bend there was a arctic straight across the road i ended up having my eye lid severed and sown back on so revs sticking at any rpm gives me the willies lol
Sorry for the essay guys and thanks in advance for any suggestions
ps just phoned gunsters and he assures me carbs are spot on and shouldn't be anything to do with them. could i have a coil not working as it should ? sticky cable ?
thanks again

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you want the carbs balanced I'll do it for £20, that includes £10 for bits I'll leave fitted to the bike for the next time you have them done by whoever.

Plus I can check and reset the cam chain tensioner.
Wish id seen this Before taking her to the shop ended up forking out £75 :banghead: just looked on maps and looks like your only about an hour away from me :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Normally when the revs float for a short time when the throttle is shut its normally air getting in somewhere.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Normally when the revs float for a short time when the throttle is shut its normally air getting in somewhere.
This was what i was thinking it might be even mentioned it to the guys who did the carb service and sync all i got in reply was ''get some miles done and see how it goes if not happy come back and we will re asses'' Meaning we will get you to shell out more cash :thumbdown: maby a obvious question but where should i be checking for air leak would it be on the carb rubbers and how would i go about checking them?
Thanks for trying to help wish i was more mechanically minded :puzzled:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Took her out today for a couple of hours and every time i give her a handful the revs drop almost to tick-over then after half a minuet drop to normal tick-over. upon getting home ive had the tank off etc had her running and sprayed carb cleaner all round the carb boots and every where else i could think of, No change in engine sound or revs.
really confused lol any suggestions what else i could be checking ?

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
I suppose a float height could be on the high side, or its valve leaking.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts