·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok lads.
getting me spark plugs changed
me valves reshimed
me throttle bodies synchronized.
while this dude has the bike aprt i might aswell replace the air filter...
i dont want anything race orientated i want the best quality.
kawasaki zx12r air filter | eBay

anyone know which one i should buy?
mines a 2001 btw.
are the air filters all the same for all years?
cheers your loyal posting genius mr jass

·
Registered
487 Posts
The k&n's I had in my 02 had to be shaved so they would fit properly but the set that came in my 00 slide in and out smoothly and they are not shaved and no oil or grease on the sides.

·
Super Moderator
4,314 Posts
BMC Air Filters STANDARD BIKE FILTERS KAWASAKI - ZX-12R
Model HP Year ID/Chassis Engine Code Shape Code
ZX-12R (FULL KIT) 00>06 Flat FM256/19

BMC Air Filters RACE BIKE FILTERS KAWASAKI - ZX-12R
Model HP Year ID/Chassis Engine Code Shape Code
ZX-12R (FULL KIT) 00>06 Flat FM256/19RACE

STANDARD filter: All BMC motor bike filters replace the original air filter (usually paper); that is they fit the series filter shape exactly and are installed in the air box with no need for any modification; but their characteristic and substantial difference is that the “filtering package” is different to the stock one, better performing. This means it lets more air through; the simple, effective process is that by letting more air through combustion improves, so engine power does too.

RACE filter: The difference between standard and race lies in the “filtering package”, making the air passage to engine concept even more extreme: the RACE filter has an even greater air breathing capacity compared to the standard one and its installation is only, exclusively advised for motorbikes used on a race track as carburetion or injection could be weak (for carburetion the air quantity present in the mixture is greater than the quantity considered necessary, while for injection, despite the modern gearcase capacity to adapt itself within certain ranges, at times the excessive air increase is not handled correctly by the gearcase itself).To avoid problems of this kind and recover the right stoichiometric air/petrol relations, you need to increase petrol capacity. To do this, you normally use a gearcase, remapped or replacing the original. Otherwise for carburetion motor bikes you can have additional carburetion kits.
RACE filters have the words “RACE” on their recognition code (e.g. FM 482/08 RACE) and a yellow line inside the filtering package making them easily recognisable.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Air filter not necessary for a bike that doesn't get ridden. Nor do you need to balance the throttle bodies, change the spark plugs or check valve clearances. This is just false economy. You will also notice tyres and engine oil can last for years before they need changing. It is important however to tell everybody around you how great your bike is, how shit zx14r's are, how fast you can ride, how drag racing must be for losers who don't take their mighty 12's to racetracks(even when you don't) and call everybody a mo fo so they think you are da man........:nana:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts