Kawasaki World banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my symptoms are:

I trickle charge the battery overnight with a normal 12V battery charger and the bike fires up easily and I drive the 35km to work (22miles) normally without incident

By the end of the day when I'm ready to come home, the bike either struggles to start or doesn't start at all - like the battery is almost dead

Using Jump leads off a colleagues car the bike fires up straight away, hence feels like battery is dead

On the journey home, sometimes when I get to a set of lights and the revs go to idle the bike will die and it's impossible to restart because battery is dead. However, if I don't stop (or I keep revs high when I stop) then I can get home without incident

Overall I'm thinking the alternator had died. It's an old bike (2000) but the battery is about 12 months old and the starter motor was replaced 2 years ago with a reconditioned one.

What do you experts think? If it's alternator I guess it might be tricky to find one for such an old bike (it was difficult for the starter motor when I tried to get hold of one of them)

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have you checked the stator for burnt phases? (my old nemesis!).
No, not so far - I have a multimeter and will google a procedure for testing it and report back

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
No worries, or just take off the stator cover and look at the wiring, usually shows as a blackened section of the stator.
I'm no electrician, that's Ninjayorkies domain, but I've learnt just enough to know when my stator stuffs up.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Awesome, thanks for your reply - I haven't googled the process yet but you are making it sound fairly easy so that is promising. I assume you have to drain the oil to open the stator cover, or lay the bike on its side?

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
No, don't need to drain the oil, a small amount may just drip from the bottom of the casing, I just use clean rags in that area (use gloves). Just be prepared for the tight pull of the alternator (like a magnet), and if you have the workshop manual follow that for where to apply sealant to the surfaces of case and cover when putting it back together. If you are careful enough you can reuse the gasket, it's a thin metal one.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
On the gasket you will see a small hole in a circular section of that gasket, this lines up with an oil feed hole on the surface of the casing, make sure not to block this area off with any sealant, it is the oil feed hole for the stator area to help cool it.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Why not just take your multi meter and check your charging voltage? It should be in the neighborhood of 13.5-14 volts at 2000-3000 rpm. If not you have a charging problem. Then you can try tracing down the source, it could be a bad stator, voltage regulator, or our old nemesis the burnt wire connectors by the regulator caused by oil wicking up the stator wiring harness! Work smarter not harder!

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Tazio, I agree with your work smarter stance, and that is what I have done in the past to determine a cause. If however he needs to get to the stator then the pointers I've given should hopefully help.
These bikes seem to suffer an inordinate amount of electrical problems, my second 12 in particular!

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
From this image I took this morning it would look alot like a burnt stator I think?
Automotive tire Alloy wheel Automotive lighting Rim Motor vehicle

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
It does look like the section from around 3 to 7 o'clock looks blackened and possibly burnt.
Did you do an output test on the stator?

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Actually looking closer at the stator it looks like nearly all the right half is gone or about to go.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OK, thanks Duck00. So now time to find a replacement stator coil - my local Kwaka dealer wanted $800 and 6-8 weeks delivery from Japan!!!! I nearly fell of my seat.

There are plenty for sale online for $100 - $200 but I'm worried they maybe be cheap rubbish from China.

Anyone on the forum got one they want to sell? :)

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Try Rick's stators from Ricks Motorsports Electrics. That's the one I have in my 12 now. So far seems to work, but time will tell. They have them for $190 U.S. at the moment.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts