Kawasaki World banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alternator output voltage 79v @ 4000rpm on all 3 outputs.
Manual says it should be 85~120v @ 4000rpm.

What could cause this?

Battery reads 13.6v at 4000 rpm, lights on etc
Manual says 14.2v~15.2, but is this with lights etc on?

ZX12R
PCR3
LCD
Shifter
Akro
BMC
2005 model

Going to test resistance across stator coils, and to earth again tonight.

Resistance across coils reads 0.001 ohm with meter on 2ohm range.. but going to double check.
Manual says it should be 0.3~0.5 ohms with meter on 1 ohm range.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
it`s looking like new stator time.call rick at ricks electric.he can set you straight.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
..but if it is the magnetism dying in the rotor and not generating enough current in the stator, surely I am not rectifying the underlying issue?

Or am I misunderstanding what the issue actually is?

Thanks for the reply regardless. :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quick update. Battery in meter was dying so re-checked everything tonight.

At 4000rpm battery terminal voltage is 13.6v
Manual says 14.2~15.2
Resistance across stator coils is 0.6 ohms on all 3 (set at 200 ohm range on meter)
Manual says 0.3~0.5 ohms
Resistance to ground is infinity (1) (set at highest range on meter)
Manual says infinity
Output from alternator is 78v at 4000 rpm on each stator coil
Manual says 85~120v at 4000rpm

The symptoms are, brand new expensive Yuasa battery 2 years ago (£100!) and is on Optimate when bike isn't used. The bike has let me down on 3 occasions recently while out, ie it won't start, and it appears to be a flat battery. Just put a new battery on and it starts fine...... at the moment but worried something is at fault...

What should I check next?

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
I've never heard of the 04-05 having the oil-wicking issue.
I'd pull the stator cover and look for blackened areas.
Or just get a new stator...
When you pull the cover, I think the question of weak rotor magnatizim will be eliminated.
Load test the battery... It could have a failing cell... Not likely but a load test is the only true way to check its ampacity.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No, I haven't heard of wicking with the 05 model either. Didn't they change the harness from previous models? Does it wick up from the stator, in which case it can't get as far as the rectifier as there are 3 connectors in the yellow cables right under the tank.
What concerns me is the fact the values I have tested aren't way out, there isn't a short and they aren't open circuit? What else is there that can go wrong with a simple coil? But you are correct, pull the stator cover and look. Damn'it.

The battery is brand new 2 days ago so hopefully is in good order, I have no reason to think otherwise there.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You would think SteveCrow would be asleep as I post this. But it seems ol' greenie is here watching you all get sucked in. Unless Steve can prove some parts, LOL....
Why would I be asleep??? Some people have to get up to go to work on a morning?? Or maybe you don't see 6:00am???

Something is just not right here as Steve jerks your chain. I rather be wrong about Steve, but with all this new guy stuff, he being right here looking in, the time frame and all that. .
....and why would I want to "jerk your chain" as you put it?? Don't you think I have better things to do?

Since you are looking in, Steve, got any pics of the bike? Someone will help you with a post if you have some excuse you can't post a pic... I mean, problem not being computer savvy and all that.
Did I mention not being computer savvy???

I think you need to take a step back and read what you have put, it doesn't bode well for new members wanting a bit of advice.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
SteveCrow, I am currently waiting for a new Ricks stator and High Output Reg/Rec for my '00 12 as I had similar poor alternator output readings, something like 09/60/60ish.

The manual states it is the alternator(rotor) that may be loosing magnetism, but I'm trying the stator first as I reckon if that is out then it won't be sending out the correct readings even if the alternator is ok. Will find out if I'm right once I get them installed, if I need to do the alternator later then I will but trying to eliminate things as I go rather than the lot and never know which one it really was that stuffed up!

Good luck!

Don

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
I could be wrong.... There are two ways to rearrange the domain of a magnet. High heat and high impact, Im 50 and I've yet to see a rotor that failed.
I'm sure it is possible, but I'd bet it is highly improbable.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi Duck00,

Hope you get it sorted, I would be interested in the outcome. Keep me posted on that one, may have to order one up myself. :)

Hi Michaels12, the bike was dropped on that side a couple of years ago and it needed a new cover. But tbh I don't think that would affect the magnets. I am 54 and, like you, have yet to see a rotor fail!. ;)

Interestingly I got a post on another website suggesting it may be the type of meter I am using to measure the resistance etc. It is only a cheap meter so may be out of calibration and a few percent out would bring all the readings back into tolerance... Happy to accept that and monitor the situation.

At least with the current readings I have a baseline to work from.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Someone will help you with a post if you have some excuse you can't post a pic... I mean, problem not being computer savvy and all that.
Gone all quiet there now bubzey?? Cat got your tongue?

Didn't your mother tell you, if you can't say anything nice then don't say anything at all??

For the more helpful members on the site, I have just checked the three connectors under the tank, down near the swinging arm pivot, (easy to just hinge the tank up and prop) and I can't see any oil there, the connectors are corrosion free and don't show any signs of burning. (I doubt they would if the output is at the bottom of the range anyway.) On page 16-4 of the manual it shows a diagram of the harness and mine is the later style with a separate connector for each output, (yellow cables) and one round connector up near the rectifier/regulator, unlike the earlier B1/B2 with the two round plugs up near the rectifier. (also shown)

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Meter discrepancy.... Excellent suggestion. Perhaps you could
compair with another on say 115v A/C. I guess I assumed you had a Fluke or Meterman, or another brand.
My apologies if I've sent you in the wrong direction.
I'm sure there is a simple way to check calibration of most meters.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My mother didn't teach me too much. I'm self taught. I'd like to help, but without any validity on your end, there will be someone to help or solve your dilemma.

I've got a few ideas, but some say I do not play by the rules. Whatever rules those are, no proof on the OP's end, no help on my end. All I was asking was for a little give and take.

Relax if you can. I've got plenty of tongue wattage if you've got a jpg. :rotflmao:
Well I'm very sorry Sir, I do apologise. Next time I will scan birth certificate, passport and firearms licence. Oh, and you may wish to see my driving licence too..

Thanks but no thanks. I have all the help, support and answers I need off other, more gentlemanly, guys on the site.

Have a nice day. :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Meter discrepancy.... Excellent suggestion. Perhaps you could
compair with another on say 115v A/C. I guess I assumed you had a Fluke or Meterman, or another brand.
My apologies if I've sent you in the wrong direction.
I'm sure there is a simple way to check calibration of most meters.
No problems at all Michaels12, glad for your guidence. My meter is only a cheapie so could be well out of calibration. I will see if I can get my hands on a better quality meter, Fluke, Avometer etc. (Ebay!) saying that, my bro works in electronic comms and has all said equipment to hand. I might just have to tap him up for a loan of some of the kit. :)

Thanks again.

Steve C
Darlington
UK

·
Registered
577 Posts
SteveCrow, I am currently waiting for a new Ricks stator and High Output Reg/Rec for my '00 12 as I had similar poor alternator output readings, something like 09/60/60ish.

The manual states it is the alternator(rotor) that may be loosing magnetism, but I'm trying the stator first as I reckon if that is out then it won't be sending out the correct readings even if the alternator is ok. Will find out if I'm right once I get them installed, if I need to do the alternator later then I will but trying to eliminate things as I go rather than the lot and never know which one it really was that stuffed up!

Good luck!

Don
I think your problem isn't magnet related. The rotating rare-earth is common to all three phases. You are reporting, above all else, a HUGE discrepancy in one phase. To me that sounds stator or upstream related.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Mine reads 79v 79v 79v AC on the outputs from the stator.

Don in Australia (Duck00) reported 09/60/60.

I would agree with you Hagrid. Knackered stator on Don's

Mine, well I am going to get a better, more accurate, meter and re-test everything.

Cheers for the input.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Yep, knackered is an apt description!!

Pretty sure it's the Stator, but I am replacing the Reg/Rec due to the readings I got on the meter - although possilby not accurate due to 'meter-user-interface-errors'!!

Will let all know of my results in my original Elect. Problem thread once parts installed and bike buttoned up.

Don.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts