Kawasaki World banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
VincentHill
BAMF

Posted: Tue Sep 24, 2002 5:57 pm Post subject: Just came back from a "Test" Ride! Some success & Loss!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I bought a new tire and did not like how it looked to begin with! Mounted it and had it balanced and went for a ride! Bad vibration at 90 mph and above! Turned the tire 180 and that made it worse! Took my "Original" tire out of the trash, cleaned it up, mounted it and had it balanced and a little over 160 "NO VIBRATION"!! My best investment was the Kawasaki bead breaker I bought 22 years ago! Just fits the 200 rear!

The loss was the little rubber cover over the fuse box! I felt something fly off and hit me! With the tank cover off, they just will not stay on Ready for Maxton! Hopefully no Rain!!

Your Car Is Slow
BAM

Posted: Tue Sep 24, 2002 6:17 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hehe...You can have mine...I dont use it anymore.

TedG
BAM

Posted: Tue Sep 24, 2002 6:39 pm Post subject:

I have a tire changer I bought from Harbor Freight and use it for its bead breaker. 5 seconds and done. I also made my own balancer, a couple of steel plates with 2 bearings bolted to each to cradel the axle. By rolling the axle back and forth I can pick up the difference of a metal valve cap. I have found over the years that you must lube the shit out of the bead and rim to make seat properly. I even use the stuff made for that.

zx12richard
BAM

Posted: Tue Sep 24, 2002 7:01 pm Post subject:

Must have been a Dunlop tire....

VincentHill
BAMF

Posted: Wed Sep 25, 2002 1:45 am Post subject:

I do not like to Swear in print!! BUT!! "DAMM"!! everyone was correct here! Before axles & Tires got so big (Wide) I had an old swingarm I would mount in a vice with dry WD 40 lubed no seals or shields and the duct tape over the weight would make a difference!

The "Beauty" of the Kawasaki Tool is that it has 2 large tire Irons and does not take up space!

I use a paper towel sprayed with something like tire dressing on the bead and it keeps the area lubed for a few days worth of tire changing!

Last yes it was a "Dunlop" from a place that I swore I would never do business with again (Even though I had no problem with the "Other" Tire! Just a bad feeling about them and what I had to go through to get the correct price Motorcycle Accessory Warehouse! The 207 was hard to find now that the 208 is out size 120/70/17) It was the first time I had ever seen a "NEW" Tire with a sand blasted surface! I checked the date and it was made 2302 ( 3rd week of June 02) I just have never seen a "NEW" tire with this look before! Even my old used tire was smoother where used! Very "Granular" look! When this is all over, I will get a set of 208's from Ron Ayers and use the "New 207 for an emergency (Read nail in the new 208 insurance policy!)

The dealer where I no longer do real business, I still have a lot of friends there and they balaaaance the tires for free, so It still cost because you give the person $10 for balancing the tire for the 3rd time!!
YCIS Why do you not use your rubber cover! (Never out in the rain on the road??) Are you going to Maxton or near Turbo Blew??

·
Registered
690 Posts
Yep, same problem I had with my 12R brand new. The 208's vibrated at anything over 120mph. I felt more comfortable on my RC51 at high speeds. New tires (other than Dunlop) problem gone. Solid to 180mph.

I will NEVER ride a Dunslop street tire again.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts