Kawasaki World banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really wanted to build a turbo bike after seeing a few about at meets. I was planning on selling my 12 and buying a bandit to boost. Then I came across "budget turbo build" on this forum which gave tons of brilliant info and it looked cheaper/easier in my view.
After a bit of research I decided to keep the 12 and turbo it.
So sized a turbo using the garret app. Then picked a cheap one of eBay that had a similar map and ended up with Volvo td04-13t.
This is a small turbo with wastegate and blow off valve integrated into the compressor housing.

Got this for 50 quid off eBay.

Then these zx14 injectors for fueling for 15 quid. Proper bargain.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
The aim is to keep the turbo up nice and high and return the oil back into the side of the sump without the use of a pump, and not remove/relocate the oil filter/cooler. After removing my muzzy exhaust I positioned the turbo and worked out some angles and positions.

Then I positioned it in a final location after looking at the exhaust run and the inlet through the fairing and made this.

I am not a welder, but I made and shaped all the sections to fit. Happy with the position. Short radius 1.5 inch stainless bends and some straight pipe. Flanges are mild steel. I would make the cylinder head flange from thicker 5-6mm plate instead off 3 if doing it again. 3mm distorts to much.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pulled the turbo to bits and it all looks good. Rotated the bearing housing etc to get the angles needed to line it all up and T water feeds in the position.

Cut a flange and got some 3" stainless exhaust to come straight off the turbo and follow the path of the original pipe back.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Put everything together. Got a oil feed line made. Pulled the 3/8 plug from the oil gallery opposite side to the oil pressure sensor. I drilled and tapped a 3/8 plug with a 12mmx1.5 tap for banjo fitting to match the turbo. Hose has same 12mm banjos each side.

Plumbed into the water feed to the oil cooler. For the water feed to the turbo.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Made some little top hats for injectors. And refitted them into the fuel rail.

Switched round the wastgate actuator to the exhaust side and made a bracket to mount it. I had to cut the arm off the waste gate on the turbo and weld it back on 180 degrees around to make it fit.

Blocked off the holes in the plenum

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Cheers lads. I reckon it was close to 420 quid. I didn't buy the power commander. It was already on the bike. Biggest cost would have been the manifold and exhaust but these where fabbed at work. The turbo and injectors where proper eBay bargains.

I have ridden it. It turns some heads. Its not been past 5 k or 20 % throttle as still tuning. The map is Rich as boost is starting to climb I am getting 9.0:1 AFR so I back off.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Very cool build, nice job

·
Registered
282 Posts
Cheers lads. I reckon it was close to 420 quid. I didn't buy the power commander. It was already on the bike. Biggest cost would have been the manifold and exhaust but these where fabbed at work. The turbo and injectors where proper eBay bargains.

I have ridden it. It turns some heads. Its not been past 5 k or 20 % throttle as still tuning. The map is Rich as boost is starting to climb I am getting 9.0:1 AFR so I back off.
Nice work ! will you be putting it on a dyno ? it would be nice to see some numbers ? top stuff .....

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Will stick it on the dyno when I can't tune it anymore. I am only expecting 225 bhp max, would be nice if it was.

Just been out for a play, getting braver with the throttle. The blow off valve sounds fantastic.......

·
Registered
314 Posts
Wow that is a budget build!
I was surprised how cheap new turbos are on ebay!
Got me thinking...
Have you installed a spacer plate for lower CR or is motor still stock?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Motor is still completely stock.
I am only running the stock Volvo wastgate which is set to 4.5psi. I am using v-power only and tuning it rich, will see what happens, 98ron

Will do some saving and perhaps change the pistons out over winter............

Yep, some chap turbo out there. I went for a second hand Volvo/Mitzi turbo rather than a Chinese one........

·
Registered
6,318 Posts
looks pretty restrictive, hopefully it makes the power you want.
btw, i wouldnt be surprised to see that boost creep to 8 psi or more over 10000 rpm. be careful tuning

1 - 20 of 46 Posts