Kawasaki World banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been lurking these forums for a while decided to finally hop on board.
Gonna be detailing my 12R build here.
Bought the bike off a guy who took it from his old man after he low sided it. Payed a very good price considering low mileage for this model bike (26.5k at the time), and it was pretty much just cosmetic, underneath all that 20 year old grease and grime was a pristine motor:giggle:. Bike had a few things that needed to be done of the bat from what I saw/felt : the notorious valve cover leak, steering stem bearings were done, rear brake was seized, rear sprocket had no cush drive dampeners etc. Essentially basic maintenance.
So I have a pretty good idea of what I want to do with the bike, speed and power wise im not concerned with HP, I just want to record 200mph at some point GPS, not indicated. Ideally N/A stock displacement, however if need be ill throw in a nitrous kit.
Planning on swapping in radial forks from 05/06 rebuilding with ktech innards and throwing on a set of brembos, and of course keeping the 320mm disc. Although first I want to set up what it has for my weight and get a good understanding of what to feel for before I buy something I have no idea how to adjust.
Forged wheels are planned down the line as well as replacing all those cheap gray plastic bits on the bike like the intake tray and side covers with some nice carbon ones馃い

The bike as I received it

First thing done was throwing out the bent rear subframe with a straight one, not to mention cleaning off all that decades old dust

Next up was the rear caliper; fresh Double H pads, a rebuild kit with new pistons, seals, RBF660, and replacement of the master cylinder got that sorted

Next up was the sprockets, Dampers, and chain. A major scrubing was due of course, supersprox front and rear with an EK Z3D chain to finish it off.

The original snapped mirror and guage bracket was swapped out for a generic oem replacement bracket

Next it was time to catch up on some long overdue maintenance. I was surprised to find that someone had in fact at one point replaced the sparkplugs. In any case I took the opportunity to do everything I touched fresh; new valve cover gasket, block off plates, 300V, Hiflo 204 Race filter, replaced head bearings with upgraded tapered roller bearings, new exhaust, light coat of paint on the tripple to reverse some of the aging, fresh coolant (distilled water and water wetter), and gold insulating tape to reflect some heat from the airbox and some of the coolant pipes topped it off. Cont....

Registered
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

Here you guys can see this beautiful full titanium exhaust in all its glory

And here is the bike as it sits now

Of course having stock ecu, the bike does not like the open exhaust so I've only taken it around the block or idled it for very short periods.
At the moment I have a trickstar slip on coming in also from japan, and I plan to add a power commander V and then the autotune when I find someone I can trust welding titanium to weld in the O2 bung. Beyond that I plan on getting it tuned professionally after I get a set of half and half velocity stacks, ignition advance, and some BMC Race filters or the DNA filters whichever is better. For the time being ill set the afr with the autotune to aprox 13:0:1, additionally I heard the autotune can essentially remedy the flat spot at about 3k RPMs that tuners generally cannot or have a hard time doing so.

Attachments

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cleaning up very nicely.
Love the pipe. Is it a Ti-force?
Not sure if KZScott can flash this year 12.
Your bike is a 03?

cmg
That is correct, it is an 03. The pipe is very similar to the Ti Force. I fell in love with it but I could not source one, at least not within my patience. Luckily I was familiar with a website called webikejapan, some of you may have heard of it, I found out about it looking for a full carbon bodykit for my DRZSM which is aparantly only sold in Japan. It just so happened they offered parts for the ZX12 there on webike and thats how I found out about this exhaust, its made by a company there called R's Gear, and this specific one is called the Wyvern. The whole set is about $1600 USD before shipping new, luckily I stumbled across another great site called croooober (imagine eBay but for Japanese parts) and they had this exhaust with no slip on included (which i was gonna replace anyway with the trickstar one) for a fraction of the cost. Spent about 670 shipped, which if you ask me is a helluva deal. So to sum things up it might be a bit difficult for KZscott to flash it considering this is an uncommon system馃榿 although i wouldn't be opposed to it if he feels its within the realm of possibility.

Registered
Flashing the ecu to raise rpm, to do the timing adjustments and remove any restrictions is what he would do. To flash AFR he would need the bike on a dyno. If he can do it, you would not need the mechanical advancer. Then run your pc5 and auto tune for afr. I don鈥檛 have any competent dyno operators in my area. I鈥檓 running a auto tune on my street 12 and it has performed really good. Bike runs real good.

cmg

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Flashing the ecu to raise rpm, to do the timing adjustments and remove any restrictions is what he would do. To flash AFR he would need the bike on a dyno. If he can do it, you would not need the mechanical advancer. Then run your pc5 and auto tune for afr. I don鈥檛 have any competent dyno operators in my area. I鈥檓 running a auto tune on my street 12 and it has performed really good. Bike runs real good.

cmg
Hmm, sounds like it might be worthwhile either way. Would make the o'l splicing the gear indicator wires mod obsolete. Definitely prefer getting the benefits of no torque or speed limiter and maintaining a clean wire harness, will try and get in touch with him.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update: DHL freight is quick 馃榿

Going to bless you all with this absolute work of art

Could not be happier with the finish and quality of this exhaust, very lightweight and meticulous attention to detail. Absolutely phenomenal sound. Today got some springs for it, now i need to rig up a bracket temporarily to hold the slip on and keep the headers away from the shock link. Later on going to have something custom fabbed, probably same time that i get the autotune bung welded in which should be soon, just waiting on it to ship. Will keep you guys posted... maybe even a sound check 馃槈

Registered
I appreciate your enthusiasm! As I'm sure others will tell you, especially Henry, tinkering with these old bikes now requires a lot of inventive thinking and generally scrappiness to achieve your goals!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I appreciate your enthusiasm! As I'm sure others will tell you, especially Henry, tinkering with these old bikes now requires a lot of inventive thinking and generally scrappiness to achieve your goals!
Im pretty mechanically inclined, my pops was an aircraft mechanic years ago so I get creative. My main obstacle is of course getting enough HP for 320km, and as cmg put it, my lunch money.
As for the bike my PCV and AT gets here tomorrow, found someone who does good work to weld in a custom titanium bung, and make a custom exhaust bracket. From there need to make decisions where I want to invest my money next, quick shifter and ignition module, body work, front suspension, steering dampener, airfilter and stacks, etc. Will post pics after the fab work is done, this bike as is lights up the rear tire like its nothing, its insane that it has a torque limiter and not even close to its full potential

Registered
Been lurking these forums for a while decided to finally hop on board.
Gonna be detailing my 12R build here.
Bought the bike off a guy who took it from his old man after he low sided it. Payed a very good price considering low mileage for this model bike (26.5k at the time), and it was pretty much just cosmetic, underneath all that 20 year old grease and grime was a pristine motor:giggle:. Bike had a few things that needed to be done of the bat from what I saw/felt : the notorious valve cover leak, steering stem bearings were done, rear brake was seized, rear sprocket had no cush drive dampeners etc. Essentially basic maintenance.
So I have a pretty good idea of what I want to do with the bike, speed and power wise im not concerned with HP, I just want to record 200mph at some point GPS, not indicated. Ideally N/A stock displacement, however if need be ill throw in a nitrous kit.
Planning on swapping in radial forks from 05/06 rebuilding with ktech innards and throwing on a set of brembos, and of course keeping the 320mm disc. Although first I want to set up what it has for my weight and get a good understanding of what to feel for before I buy something I have no idea how to adjust.
Forged wheels are planned down the line as well as replacing all those cheap gray plastic bits on the bike like the intake tray and side covers with some nice carbon ones馃い

The bike as I received it
View attachment 17256
View attachment 17258

First thing done was throwing out the bent rear subframe with a straight one, not to mention cleaning off all that decades old dust
View attachment 17259
View attachment 17260

Next up was the rear caliper; fresh Double H pads, a rebuild kit with new pistons, seals, RBF660, and replacement of the master cylinder got that sorted
View attachment 17261

Next up was the sprockets, Dampers, and chain. A major scrubing was due of course, supersprox front and rear with an EK Z3D chain to finish it off.
View attachment 17262
View attachment 17263 View attachment 17264

The original snapped mirror and guage bracket was swapped out for a generic oem replacement bracket
View attachment 17265
View attachment 17266

Next it was time to catch up on some long overdue maintenance. I was surprised to find that someone had in fact at one point replaced the sparkplugs. In any case I took the opportunity to do everything I touched fresh; new valve cover gasket, block off plates, 300V, Hiflo 204 Race filter, replaced head bearings with upgraded tapered roller bearings, new exhaust, light coat of paint on the tripple to reverse some of the aging, fresh coolant (distilled water and water wetter), and gold insulating tape to reflect some heat from the airbox and some of the coolant pipes topped it off. Cont....
Looks like a B model so there鈥檚 no way it鈥檚 20 year old grease

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Looks like a B model so there鈥檚 no way it鈥檚 20 year old grease
Rounded up from 18馃榿

My vote is for a clutch basket first...

cmg
I heard these are a common fail point. I know MTC still offers their heavy duty baskets, is that the best way to go? Havent really ridden the bike enough to do any hard launches like i had with my 11, but I have noticed some chattering if the clutch is slipped at around 4k rpm, possibly worn friction plates?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Also, since im going to be pulling everything out might as well upgrade everything while im at it. Recomended best clutch plates and springs?

Registered
I have MTC basket in my clutch, stock plates/fibres, and KZScott's hub oil hole mod. My engine is a built 1287 so a good clutch is a must!

Registered
Ah, possibly!
In which case you wouldn't need to do that part at least, been a while since I did mine.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts