Kawasaki World banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up this beauty....

1995 Ninja 500. 16k miles, fresh tires, chain/sprockets. Runs/drives great, one of the carbs has a fuel leak, should be an easy fix.

Anyone know where I can download a service manual for it?

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Looks very clean and original.

Time to sell the 12 !!!! :headscratch:

:thumbup:

Headlight fairing is rashed up, as are the mufflers. There's a seller on ebay selling brand new headlight fairing for $169, he also sells a lower fairing kit for $139. I think I'm going to buy both, then the wife wants to paint the bike all white and do some candy metallic green and black pin-striping. I just bought a paint gun, going to use this bike to teach myself how to paint.

·
Registered
1 Posts
ex500 was my first bike. rode 12k miles the first year, and was scraping the midpipe on the ground and running out of tire haha.

feels like a scooter compared to a bike with power, haha

good mileage, and comfy though! Should get atleast 55mpg at this elevation, maybe better!

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I took it out last night for a quick ride around the neighborhood. First ride since we bought it and trailored it home. When I bought it, one of the carbs was leaking fuel externally. But I fired it up last night, rode it for maybe 20 minutes, carb never leaked a drip??? Guess maybe an O-ring swelled back up and sealed itself. Anyways, this thing is super fun to ride. Handles awesome around town. I think my wife is going to have to fight me over who gets to ride it, LOL.

I did start tearing it down last night. Most of the body is beat up on it. Headlight fairing is busted/cracked in numerous places, tank is dented up, right rear cowl fairing cracked. I found a new headlight fairing on Ebay for $169, also probably going to buy a lower fairing the same guy makes for $139. Took some pics of the dents it the tank, going to see if I can have them popped out. Also going to look for a used cowl fairing.

Mechanically, the bike seems pretty sound. Couple vacuum lines are just hanging out, not connected to anything right now. The kid before me removed the smog stuff, so I just have to see if these lines need to be connected to anything or can just be capped off. I'll probably do an oil change, lube/adjust the chain, then start riding the bike some more.

Still looking for a service manual. Might break down and buy one. Anyone know of one online?

·
Registered
97 Posts
A 500? is this just a beater bike or are ya serious about rebuilding it?
Hey man, I know what he's going through. Last year I bought a 15mph electric scooter and completely ignored my GSXR 1000 for about a month until the scooter crippled me and I couldn't walk for 3 months..

Little stuff is fun to dick around on even when you have a big bike in the garage.. Or, in my case.. In the living room.

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
Hey man, I know what he's going through. Last year I bought a 15mph electric scooter and completely ignored my GSXR 1000 for about a month until the scooter crippled me and I couldn't walk for 3 months..

Little stuff is fun to dick around on even when you have a big bike in the garage.. Or, in my case.. In the living room.
You ain't lying man. I just picked up a neat lil mini bike chopper thing that needs a rewire.....I absolutely LOVE riding it....it's a BLAST. I took the 12 out today tho....didn't want her getting jealous and starting to have issues...she been good to me so far........:crazyloco:

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A 500? is this just a beater bike or are ya serious about rebuilding it?
I bought it for $480. The only thing I really have planned is to replace some of the plastics, and then try my hand in doing some paint/body work on it. If I botch it up, I can just sand it down and try again. I mean, it's only a $480 bike so who cares right?

I also bought this bike for my wife to learn how to ride on. I'll probably use it to commute back and forth to work a few times as well. Even with the body panels I am going to replace, I don't plan on having more then $1000 total investment in this bike. It should look pretty good when I'm done though, and it rides great as is, had a bunch of new parts on it when I bought it.

·
Banned
5,436 Posts
What a piece of shit.

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
I bought it for $480. The only thing I really have planned is to replace some of the plastics, and then try my hand in doing some paint/body work on it. If I botch it up, I can just sand it down and try again. I mean, it's only a $480 bike so who cares right?

I also bought this bike for my wife to learn how to ride on. I'll probably use it to commute back and forth to work a few times as well. Even with the body panels I am going to replace, I don't plan on having more then $1000 total investment in this bike. It should look pretty good when I'm done though, and it rides great as is, had a bunch of new parts on it when I bought it.
Nice little bikes. We had an older version for a bit...

A guy at work just gave me this:

A 1975 Honda 750. A maiden voyage across to the gas station...

...and then I was forced to launch it up and down the driveway:

Once I get it sorted I will have no choice but to slay 250 Ninja's with it. :lol:

Gotta love the classics! :thumbup:

·
Registered
97 Posts
Yep.. Gotta love the classics..

I mean.. You'd understand if you've ever jumped a picnic table with a Honda Hawk CB400.. Orrr if you've ever popped so many 2-up wheelies on one that the rear tire came off the rim and you were forced to ride 5 miles like that..

BTW that 750 is sick, I can't even imagine how bad I'd hurt myself on that thing..

·
Registered
909 Posts
Awesome bike man! :thumbup:

I love my 500r... it was a great first bike and It'll always have a special place in my heart.

I'm happy I still own it too, bc I would definitely miss it... and luckily, it's not just sitting around being wasted while I enjoy my new (to me) zx12. My lady is learning how to ride it and I'm sure she's going to love the bike as much as I love it.

Even better news... when it gets too cold for her to want to practice, I'll be able to garage the zx12 and do some work to it, while I enjoy the comfort and gas mileage of the 500r... its a win win! ... and I know once I have the zx12 looking nice and pretty... she's going to want the 500r to look pretty too... and I'll be more than happy to oblige.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Nice little bikes. We had an older version for a bit...

A guy at work just gave me this:

A 1975 Honda 750. A maiden voyage across to the gas station...

...and then I was forced to launch it up and down the driveway:

Once I get it sorted I will have no choice but to slay 250 Ninja's with it. :lol:

Gotta love the classics! :thumbup:
Man that's an awesome looking bike for a freebie! I love the styling of those 70's... Japans cafe bikes so to speak.

We should do a 500 vs 750 challenge!

I love this little 500 so far, thing is a blast to ride. It handles awesome. I should be a fun/economic bike and a cheap project!

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
Man that's an awesome looking bike for a freebie! I love the styling of those 70's... Japans cafe bikes so to speak.

We should do a 500 vs 750 challenge!

I love this little 500 so far, thing is a blast to ride. It handles awesome. I should be a fun/economic bike and a cheap project!
I think the 750 can go low 13's on motor, with a little work. I don't have the money to put in it right now, but it sure was fun to ride around. :thumbup:

The EX500 would absolutely destroy it right now, though! :lol:

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I think the EX500's are suppose to run like 12.7s stock..... but if we compared my time here at elevation, to your times, we might be pretty close!

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
I think the EX500's are suppose to run like 12.7s stock..... but if we compared my time here at elevation, to your times, we might be pretty close!
Maybe...but right now it won't do a burnout...even on wet pavement. :lol:

·
Registered
12 Posts

First bike of mine was an 87 EX500 I bought for $300! It had been sitting in a garage for 10 years and my coworker wanted it gone. A friend with a truck helped me get it home, and after replacing the fluids and battery it was running. Never got less than 55 mpg out of it and it would beat any car off the line.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts