Kawasaki World banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all...it's been a while. I just acquired yet my 5th ZX12. A 2000 ZX12 (man, you gotta love the ZX12)!! I had originally thought to utilize it as a parts bike, but I just love them a little too much for that reason. I am quite sure the motor is probably toast and that the clutch exploded...why else would you have the complete clutch basket out and oil drained. I'm in the process of doing an evaluation, but I do have a question:

will it harm the bike to turn the engine over with the clutch basket missing to check for spark?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Redrider. Okay, so the basket hasn't exploded and it appears that all the fibers and steels are there also. The steels have no blueing and/or black spots on them and the fibers look great also. So, that leads me to think that the motor has spun a bearing, dropped a valve or something and that someone had thought of taking the motor apart and begun with draining the oil and removing the complete clutch assembly.

So, I did turn the engine over and there is good spark going to the plugs, so I imagine she should fire up. Hopefully she will and I can investigate the health of the engine. Looks like I have a winter project now for keeping me occupied till warm weather makes it back around.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Keep us updated how it goes!

I just acquired my 4th zx12 myself. Parts bike, good motor. I'm going to sell the motor off I think, it's a 2000, let me know if you're interested once you figure out your problems.

·
Registered
6,267 Posts
i would pop the oil pan just for the sake of having a look
edit looks like i got beat to the punch while i was grabbing supper lol

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hibs...what would you be asking for the motor?

Also, thanks for the reminder. Slipped my mind about dropping the oil pan before filling with gas and trying to actually fire the bike up. No spare time for that until Friday due to work and night school. Will report back what I find upon dropping the pan. Thanks for the reminder everyone!

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Hibs...what would you be asking for the motor?

Also, thanks for the reminder. Slipped my mind about dropping the oil pan before filling with gas and trying to actually fire the bike up. No spare time for that until Friday due to work and night school. Will report back what I find upon dropping the pan. Thanks for the reminder everyone!
Just the motor, $1k plus shipping.

The whole bike that has good wheels, fork, chrome extended swingarm, fuel tank with pump, plus ECU and wiring harness, $1500. No title and most everything else off the bike was junk.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So, reinstalled the clutch. Nothing in the oil pan. Drained old gas and filled with fresh gas. Changed the plugs...someone had put CR9EIX plugs in the bike. Hit the key, pump primes, starter spins motor over, and getting spark, but she does not run. Question, do I have to drop the motor to check if injectors are getting pulsing?

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
CR9EIX Nothing wrong with those plugs, I prefer them.

Is the exhaust smelling of fuel?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update...I finally took off the valve cover and side timing cover and I believe the bike is out of time. If my settings are proper funding TDC then my cams are 180° or 360° off. I have the #1 piston at TDC and the timing mark on the crank is set also, but: 1) how do I know if its on the compression or exhaust stroke?

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
At compression/firing, the IN cam lobes will be pointing back and upwards \ and the EX will be pointing forwards and upwards / at even angles.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ninjayorkie...it looks as though the lobes are pointing forward but the markings on the end of the camshafts are different from what the manual reads. The markings at its current position, which is supposedly TDC, read, ex, in and ex, in when looking at the can markings. Is there anyway to tell if someone has possibly put the intake and exhaust cams in the wrong spot without removing the engine or removing the camshaft holders.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
While that is possible, on top of each cam, normally above number 3 cylinder, it is stamped with an IN or an EX. this is how you tell which cam goes where.

On the sprocket ends of both cam you will find an IN and an EX stamped into them, why Im not sure.
It maybe that you need to rotate the crank 360 degrees clockwise for everything to line up correctly.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That's true...if I rotate the crankshaft 360 degrees, then the in, ex and in ex, markings on the camshaft line up as shown in the service manual. However, I still don't know if the TDC is on the compression stroke or the exhaust stroke. After doing this, if the cam lobes point in the right directions, does that mean that I am on the compression stroke at TDC?

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
2 cylinders 1&4 are at the top when 2&3 are at the bottom.

While 1 and 4 are at the top, one will be TDC Firing, and the other will of just finished exhausting. This means the cam lobes on one of them will be as I said in my other post \ / and the other cylinder will have the cam lobes pointing opposite direction.

On the cam sprocket when the inlet cam has its IN line level with the cylinder head facing rearwards and on the Exhaust sprocket the EX line facing forward and level with the cylinder head, then number 1 is TDC and 4 is about to open the inlets.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I am going to recheck for TDC on compression stroke with a new method I just read about. I guess if you stick your finger inside the spark plug hole you can feel air being pushed when the piston is on its compression stroke. I will report back my findings. Thanks ninjayorkie for all the guidance. I hope its just a simple thing of the motor being out of timing.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ninjayorkie...I am 99.9% sure the cams are out of time with the crankshaft markings. At #1 TDC, the cams are actually indicating backwards. The intake side is actually exhausting and the exhaust can side is intaking. Going to pull the cam holders off and physically reset them myself so I know that part is correct. My question, do I need to pull the motor to do the procedure I just mentioned.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts