Kawasaki World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Checked the valves clearances today. Stripped the engine bare to get access and followed book and Blitz's procedure.
Exhaust gaps look pretty decent but I was wondering if having a spread of gaps like my inlet measurements is normal. :headscratch:
22000miles B2H.

Measured them all 3 times.
What causes uneven wear?

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
I think for a massed produced machine like the 12, it seems pretty good.
The difference is so small. That's why the factory has a window of tolerance.
What is the FSM calling for on the intakes?

cmg

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Book says acceptable intake range is 0.15 to 0.24mm.
So I've a few under gaps under spec and a few right at the top.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How many times hav they been adjusted in the past?

cmg
This would be the first time for this bike. I bought it with 6000miles on it.
I guess I should expect a bit of settling in? It just thought it strange that the exhaust side wear is pretty regular and the intake side isn't .

·
Registered
252 Posts
I would be a bit concerned with the small ones. As the valve seats wear the clearance will tend to decrease. You don't want to have no clearance when they expand from the heat.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Shep that is pretty darn good for the first adjustment.
Paul is right, those tight ones need attention.

I think the low spring pressure from the factory helps the longevity. Seat pressure is in the 35-40lb range. Awhile back I was looking to buy a heavier spring. Sal at AcePerformance recommended some 45-48lb springs he had.
Said on a stock engine with a higher rpm redline they would keep the valves in check, but not rob any power caused by a 60lb springs increased frictional losses.
I'm sure 60lb springs would really pound the valves into the head on a daily driver.

cmg

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies.
Yes, Ill get the inlets shimmed to the upper end of the spec.
The exhausts are supposed to be 0.22 to 0.31. I recon they aren't worth touching unless someone advises me otherwise.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts