Kawasaki World banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen stuff about oil starvation while doing loooooooong wheelies.I've been getting comfortable with wheelies,keepin it up for a while.Only a short time before I really go long.

Jeff

·
Registered
222 Posts
Just be carefull... I thought the same thing when I started doing a lot of wheelies many years ago on my first year GPZ1100... Right up to the time that I was doing a nice long wheelie through first, second, and then banging it into third gear right in front of the local Kawasaki shop. Needless to say, I ground the numbers right off the license plate before it finially came all the way over :oops:

Point being, oil starvation is the least of your risks :shock:

·
Registered
185 Posts
wheelies.......oil starvation

oil starvation is a real concern
launching a bike even if it stays level
the oil tends to rush to the back of the crankcase

then you jak it up
now i know they have a relatively deep sump
& probably a swinging oil pickup

if someone at a shop had an oil presure gauge hooked up &
had it on a ramp & revved the motor
if they saw a drop...........not good

if they didnt........less of a concern

the other thing is it kills you forks seals
a lot quicker than if you dont
the kind of wheelie from a standstill that typically
you might thunk down

otherwise have fun

good luck

·
Registered
166 Posts
one of my boys just threw a rod on his gixxer 1k. he is a hell of a rider he can ride a wheelie into the sunset. if you do allot of long wheelies you should fill your oil a little past the fill line and you will be fine.

·
Registered
5,647 Posts
I hate to admitt to such frivulous thrills but my 01 silver wheelied long atleast twice a day during it's 16,000 mile life and never a hint of oil lackage or forks seal damage. Keep in mind, the harder you set the front down, the quicker the seals will go. Do a well performed wheelie with a gentle landing and you will never see bad fork seals.
The oil ?????????? well, there were some bikes made in the past that would starve an engine of oil during wheelies. FZR1000 comes to mind, and a GSXR1100. Both of which I have seen destroy their engines during wheelies. The ZX12R does have a good oil delivery system, and I doubt any harm can come from normal wheelies. If you can do a wheelie with the 12 like a Gixxer 750 or R1 can do....60mph standing in the air all day long on just about any road, then I would be more concerned. But the 12 gains far too much speed to perform such tactic.
Good luck man...and don't forget where that right foot belongs during said wheelies...:)

·
Registered
13,069 Posts
At the point of impact when going over backwards.........

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
12 wheelies

90% of my wheelies are rolling at about 60 mph in second gear,letting off,and hitting it open again.I have never used the clutch to lift it.I can go through second til it's out of revs.I also rarely slam it back down,so my forks should be happy for a while.The 12 seems like it's waaay the heck up there when nearing the balance point!
I never did wheelies too much til I started riding with R1's,etc.Those guys can ride one all the way home,it seems.

Jeff

1 - 9 of 9 Posts