Kawasaki World banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy all

Question about autotune, I've installed it and calibrated the gears and done a couple runs to get the initial trims sent them to the fuel map and everything is working well really happy with it.
My question is how lean and how rich can you go. There seems to be 2 schools of thought one is that the leaner you go the warmer the engine is and that's where most people stop at and accept. Others accept this is true upto the 14.7:1 but then it start cooling off again. Reason being that most people dyno tuners are mainly performance orientated. So how lean could you safely go for the 6th gear motorway cruising. From the charts I've seen 16.0:1 would be max but they are generic charts for combustion engines not per se motorbike specific. My present trims run between 13.2 and 13.8 afr but looking to adjust the cruising motorway revs in 6th gear to 15.5 or so

Any tips or experience with lean tuning?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm on 13.8 at the moment with no problems even that added over 20% to the fuel table

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Never, ever go 16.1 on a zx12r. I run mine at 13.0:1 and it does great. These bikes were not made for lean mixtures. I would never go above 13.5 if it were me, at the leanest.
I'm using the standard dynojet tables at the moment they run between 13.2 and 13.8.
They all add a ton of extra fuel which is not bad for performance it rides great and idles nice and steady after checking the fuel for a 13.2 afr at idle and transferring it to the fuel table then setting the target afr back to 0 when I was done, that was an irritation but thankfully gone now.
Since the autotune adds so much fuel it means that stock runs pretty lean, thinking I might put in a 0 fuel map so that it is at stock settings and go for a ride and gradually lean out the target afr to see what afr gets the first recommended trim values back to zero. In 0.2% steps starting from 13.4% I think it's an experiment worth doing hopefully curiosity doesn't kill the cat 😅

·
Registered
289 Posts
Cal, if it is adding fuel, you have something very wrong. What year 12 again?

The A1, stock, is super rich down low, a bit lean mid range, and about right up top.

Some of my low range is - 35 etc. Yea, might want to send me a screenshot of your Autotune AFR table and your fueling table.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

The A1, stock, is super rich down low, a bit lean mid range, and about right up top.

Some of my low range is - 35 etc. Yea, might want to send me a screenshot of your Autotune AFR table and your fueling table.
Might be because I live at sea level 🤷‍♂️ to be honest I'd heard the exact opposite, that it was lean down low and got richer higher up.
I'll send you a screen shot of the target afr I have now, it's the standard afr targets from dynojet that came with the autotune built in. My engine is a 2001 engine.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Might be because I live at sea level 🤷‍♂️ to be honest I'd heard the exact opposite, that it was lean down low and got richer higher up.
I'll send you a screen shot of the target afr I have now, it's the standard afr targets from dynojet that came with the autotune built in. My engine is a 2001 engine.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Howdy
I just been busy with work at the moment, managed last Tuesday to get the bike out but the pcv doesn't give any trim suggestions for anything leaner than 13,8
Ive set gear 1 through 4 at 13,0 gear 5 at 13,4 and gear 6 at 13,8.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The O2 sensor is just behind the plate of the rear set between the swing arm and the perforated plate

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
This is the last night shift for me this cycle, when I get up later this afternoon I'll send a photo of it

·
Registered
289 Posts
Sounds good, I know how being busy can dampen the cycle work.

Was there a reason you wanted to do AFR by gear? That complicates things way too much for street riding. I could send you an AFR table to put in and you would be golden, without doing it by gear.

I will also say, you're not on a moped, the 12r likes the fuel. Almost 14 to 1 is getting very lean for the 12.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts