Kawasaki World banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

Is an understatement. Damm I wish I lived there.

Bad new's frist. All of my plastic may be ruined. Or at least the paint, and Powder coat on :cry: Clutch cover, :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

I put a plastic tarp on bike and bungied it down, Because I did'nt want it to get wet :oops:

We got to campsite Thursday evening and it was still raining off and on so I left bike in truck with cover on it.

I awoke to the sun shinning and a great day to ride. I pulled the tarp off and could'nt believe my eye's. The clutch cover was wore down to bare metal. And the rest of the bike was hazed over no shine just clouded PMB. No sparkle. :cry:

I have'nt put a rag or even tryed to polish it out. I'm going in the morning to talk to my friend that own's a body shop for his opuion. I took picture's of it in back of truck and called insurance company.

And I lit the fire and kicked the tire's and rode the damm rubber off the wheel's.

The good new's. Never in my life have I ever rode or seen such perfect road's to wring the bad ass big bore kawi's neck, And wrung I did.

Mark came down Friday evening and about an hour before he rode in it started raining and rained all night. He pulled in with the rain a falling, We drunk some beer's and talked about how ugly the booger green color is and how great the 12 was in any color, Ate some steak and talked and drank some more beer and stayed up till almost 1am drinking and talking. Mark is good people folk's, I probably did'nt have to tell ya that but he's one of the finest people I've ever met.

The next morning, late morning, Annete my wife fixed us a breakfest and off we went heading for Deal's Gap. We ran the Foothill's Parkway on the way over and I came up on 600 Gixxer and showed him what a big bore kawi can do to 600's on the curve's. I carved him up and spat em out my D&D exhust like he was'nt there. Stopped and talked to him and he admitted to Mark and I that he was overmatched by the big 12. He had over a half dozen trip's to gap to his credit. Goes to show the naysayer's a 12 will handle.

When we got to the Dragon it was much different than the parkway. Turn's were tight. Tightest turn's and most wicked road I've ever been on ever. But I was able to overtake and pass on it and yes I was also overtaken and passed. These Motard's 660 KTM's were faster than hell on the road. That's what overtook me. I tryed to stay with em but after two turn's I gave up. They were fast as hell. I talked to em today. wicked little bike's up to 80 mph on turn's.

I jut got home from down there, I'll have more to add tomorrow. lot's more. Mark and I rode some awesome road's. Seen some of the best land this country has to offer. Can't wait to go back.

The 02 PMB I don't know what I'm going to do yet. But within 2 week's it will be back to perfect again. I'm considering custom paint [maybe] I dunno yet. I'll decide when I figure out if I can get it right by buffing it out.

Blitz I need the paint code for engine cover's bro. And does that code match. Will I be able to tell any difference?

Like I said I'll add more tomorrow but I have to go to work right now. :(

·
Registered
4,468 Posts
Good to hear you made it back in oe piece. To bad about the bike. Hopefully it's just the clear coat, and can be straightened out.
Have a KTM SM of my own, and there ain't anything like it for cut'n up the nieborhood.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Glad you had a good time Norm. What did ya think of the Cheroahola?? Awesome isn't it? Sorry about the bike, did I read that right? You trailered the bike down there with a tarp on it?

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Otis I did not take a trailar since I was going with the wife and and only one bike. I had it in back of pick-up bed. I trailared a camper. And it seemed the guy's from up North in the snowmobile country knew not to tarp, They said from snowmobile expernince, But yes I had a plastic tarp on bike. :cry:

Otis I did'nt call ya before I went cause I wanted to explore with an unbaised opuion.

The Tail Of The Dragon was an awesome road. BUT There was some bike's and car's crossing double yellow comming at me. A BMW CAR, wiped out the day Mark and I rode it. He spun out and hit a tree, the airbag deployed. He had a real nice looking young lady in the car with him. He could have killed her and himself if the tree wasnt there. About a 40 drop off and that tree stoped em from going over the edge. And he wacked it harded than hell. I'd say the car was totaled. But that was the nature of the Dragon. We were there in the lull of there tourist season's. I'd hate to be there in full tilt speed madness.

I rode Friday for 7-8 hour's and Saturday with Mark for 8-9 hour's and Sunday for 4-5 hour's. And I seen one cop at the Tail of the dragon. on my last run as I was leaving at look-out point. Damm I blew by there hard too. He was pointed in the wrong direction sitting still. The other rider's up there motioned for me to slow down, But it was too late, Front tire was doing a power wheelie about a foot off ground and I looked at cop and I layed into it and did'nt look back. He was the only cop I seen while on bike, I don't count the populated area's. There were cop's around the tourist place's like restrauant's and high travel populated area's. But once back in the hill's It was let her rip time. I seen one cop Blount County Sherriff on the foothill's PKWY but I was heading home and had truck and bike in back and camper hooked up. He waved at Annette and I as he went by. Probably thinking good there's that damm black bike leaving, Weve been getting call's on that peckerwood. :lol:

Bottom line I loved all the road's there except for the dragon. Harley rider's would give you no room to pass. You would come up behind those guy's all the time. And they did not want you to pass them. And once you did. They would gun it to the next turn. Good thing I'm a nice person. There was one Harley rider that raced me into the next corner and would not give me room. He must have thought he could run with the big dawg's. I should have bitch slapped him. He pissed me off so bad.

Sportbike rider's when you came up behind them they would motion you around once they knew you were there, D&D helped me there. :lol:

Harley rider's did'nt make no sportbike friend's while I was there. They still stayed off in there small tiny miserable little group's of black leather. Sportbike rider's ruled the roost.

Next time it's going to be a week.

Gotta go take the bike over to man at body shop. Price of stupidtity. I'm guilty as charged. :x

·
Registered
19,235 Posts
Hey Outlaw, Thanks again for all you and Annete did! I had a great time! Thanks for always waiting on my slow Wang ass too.

BTW, Outlaw made that up about me being nice. I'm really a mean old man. However, Outlaw and Annete are super nice caring and giving people, pretty damn great cooks too.

I laughed my ass off when Outlaw slaughtered that 600. He must have been 1 1/2 miles in front of me and I still could hear that loud D&D can!

Of course, we had to call Ninja Dude and rub it in that he couldn't make it. We only had one close call. That was when I got liquored up Friday night and headed to wiss behind a bush. I fell over a stake in the dark and busted my big ass!

Outlaw let me ride his 12 about 40 miles or so. Man! That's was much more fun than the Wang on those roads!

I checked the mileage. I rode about 800 miles total. I believe we rode about 240 miles in the mountains. I'm ready to go back!

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
nedragr Those KTM's were awesome on thr Dragon. But the rest of the road's they were short of wind. But man ol man they could cut the Dragon to peice's. 80 mph is probably your max speed in dragon. It surprised me like all hell, I thought I was running a good run. :lol: Then I heard a bike behind me and I pulled over and motioned em by, They went by fast, Two KTM's Supermotard's One guy was from Aussie. I checked those Motard's out pretty close at deal's gap and spoke to em. You could tell they were having a blast. It was fun talking to em after there ride. The adreline was pumping though us all.

The other road's the sweeper's were 80mph nedragr, See what I mean. It would be cool as hell to have a Super Motard for Dragon and 12 for everything else.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank's for trusting me on the wang Mark. I did get in a little dual with Mark's Wang too :lol:

We came up on another Wang rider so since I had little seat time in Wang I thought it would be safe to follow the other rider on Wang. For pace, Well the other Wang rider crossed the double yellow in front of me and I thought oh-oh, I let off when I seen him do it and I stayed in my line. That was different getting on the Wang after stepping off 12. Very nice Bike the Wang, It made you feel like you could ride forever on it.

Mark that stake was not your fault. You arrived in the dark and with rain. You had'nt seen campsite in light. It was the tie-out chain stake for Daisy our Brittany. I'm just glad you did'nt get hurt. Hell as many beer's as I had I'd have hit too. If I'd walked over there.

Mark You may have converted me to a Pabst drinker :lol: I tryed a few that's good beer.

Annette really like you Mark, She said you reminded her of a friend of mine. The friend you reminded her of was my best man at our wedding. Mark you made a strong frist impression on Annette my friend.

That was a good dual against a good handling bike, The guy on the 600 handled it well. He made only one excuse, He said hell I did'nt know I was using half a bike when we took off. 600 X 2= 1200 :lol:

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
damn... you gys really make me want to go ridin right now! :cry:

that sounds like a real good time...

·
Registered
19,235 Posts
I'm ret ta go back!

Hey Outlaw, Tell 'em about that nosey old guy with all the questions that gave us the crappy directions so we'd get lost.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've been working my butt off and it's paying off, My buddy at body shop told me what to use and it worked like you would'nt believe. 98% of mark's gone. I'm glad I waited to get back and talk to him.

Looking good so far. I've got a few spot's. I called him up and he said to come in and get some stuff that is more course,

I checked Ron Ayer's on Clutch cover and it said around 100, If I get outta this with just losing 100, I'm gonna consider myself a lucky man.

I'm going for a ride. To blow this sweat off.

·
Registered
19,235 Posts
Good job Outlaw! I bet the paint will come out perfect with a little more elbow grease.

BTW, remember this one when you said, "Hey Mark. This would be a perfect spot for a beer stand."

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
I took a secret video of Outlaw at the Gap check it out! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Secret Video

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
MarkCBXX1zx12R said:
I can't make it work. I just get, "connecting."
Dang!! It should work.. I'll do some checking.

Anybody else having trouble with this? :cry:

·
Registered
142 Posts
Good Deal Norm!!!

Glad you made it there and back in one piece. Those roads down there make the best roads in OH seem like shit!!! I'm glad I'm not the only one that thinks the Dragon is more work than fun. Don't get me wrong, it's a great road but you have to work like hell and be razor sharp to ride it like it's suppose to be ridden. I think the record for the fastest pass through there is just under 11 minutes which is an average speed of about 60 mph. I think I averaged 35-40 and stayed in 2nd gear the entire time.

I'm feeling you about the Harley riders, they act like the unofficial keepers of the speed limit. I earned my nickname at the Gap after a Harely encounter.

The Foothills is a blast, I think we averaged just under triple digits through there and the Cherohala just makes me wanna holla!!! I hope you had a chance to run that road. It was the best down there to me. I still have some others yet to ride but I know every time I go down there I'll be riding the Cherohala Skyway.

Glad to hear you got your bike sparkling again. Next time let the water hit it, it's a lot less abrasive!!! Next spring/summer we'll have to hook up and go down there. Maybe even drag ND1 down there.

Enjoyed your trip report, make me reminice!!!

Peace

·
Registered
5,698 Posts
This sounds way to cool, it is too bad there isn't a quick way to get there from the West Coast.

How does this compare to the Black Hills?

·
Registered
344 Posts
Live and learn about the tarp Norm. Hopefully she'll fix up easy. Harley riders can be a pain down there but we usually go by em' so quick they didn't know we were there. I agree the Gap is work, but the by far the most fun work I've ever done.

When we settle on dates for DGV I'll be sure to let you know so you can come with us. Chances are around the 18 or so of May. It's usually been one or two wekends before Memorial day.

Glad you had a good time and kept the rubber down.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Mark go you have pic's of tree of shame?

BMW the Cherohala skyway was one of my favorite's also. I Did Hollar as I was going down that road, Very highspeed corner's with perfect pavement and no traffic. I had a BMW Z3 wanna play, But not for long. :lol: That road was perfect to stretch tyhe leg's of the 12, The Foothill's was the road I traveled back and forth to our campsite. I learned that road and could fly down that bad boy. I hit forth on the foothill's. The dragon I never left second gear. The Skyway I rode once. But next time the Skyway will be abused hard :lol: I also liked that road very much. Ohio road's are crap compared to those road's.

I wanna live there Easy it's by far the best road's east of the Mississippi, Mile's and mile's of Federal ground with no intersection's or driveway's. Just highspeed pursuit of pure adreline.

Mark and I went though a cloud that passed by it cool as hell. Elevation was over 5000 feet. I've got pic's, I'm getting put on CD should have em tomorrow.

BMW it really was'nt the work that bothered me on the Tail Of The Dragon it was all the ying-yang's. Like that BMW car that crashed. He could have very easly took out a group of rider's. When I rode the Dragon I was defensive as much as agressive. I wanted to run fast but I also had a wish to run all the road's I could and bring bike home in one peice.

Mark Do you have the pic's of the Tree Of Shame?

BMW all the other road's you can pass the Harley's real easy. Just go by em a buck twenty or more. But on the Dragon they enjoyed hogging the road by centerline and that road's narrow as hell. and the stright's are short as hell.

Damm Harley rider's they alway's try and mess up our fun. But they were badly outnumbered there 8)

Anytime anyone goe's let me know. I'll go. I did'nt have any close call's. And everytime I returned to camp i felt so much adreline it took several hour's to come back to earth. The beer helped :lol:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts