Kawasaki World banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the shop tells me they have to split the cases to change the seal on the balance shaft seal right side I pulled the faring apart and was able to push the seal back in . This happened after some seriously hard high rpm FUN well in the RED several times . its been a month and no sign of oil leak . is there a quick do it your self fix or was this just a fluke .

·
Registered
107 Posts
Oil Leak

Hi there:

l don't know the mileage on your bike but excess pressure in the crankcase assuming that you didn't overfilled the oil level (it should be 3/4 the sight glass) to prevent oil starvation and spinning a bearing for which this engines are notorious, is probably due to a disconnected engine breather hose or clogged breather. The clamps holding that hose should be replaced by a regular worm type to insure against disconnection. I advise you not to go to that shop anymore because there's no need to take the engine apart to change that seal as you found out (crooks). Buy a new seal and gasket and have it done or do it yourself wrapping the shaft with Scotch tape to avoid hurting the lip of the new seal. Afterwards, adjust the balancing shaft chain by loosening the lock nut and turning slowly the shaft with a screwdriver until you hear a whine (engine idling)and then backing up a little bit and locking the nut again. No wheelies on zx11s or you can spin a bearing EASILY.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks it is a 2001 d model only has 35000 on it and I will look at the manual to locate the breather ? I know about the wheelies and I avoid them at all cost, can you tell me were the breather is located ? I know the oil level is correct . thanks for your advice .

·
Registered
107 Posts
Thanks it is a 2001 d model only has 35000 on it and I will look at the manual to locate the breather ? I know about the wheelies and I avoid them at all cost, can you tell me were the breather is located ? I know the oil level is correct . thanks for your advice .
Hi GTS: The breather is on the left hand side behind the carbs. Clean it and replace the clamp. As for the seal, if the old one should come out again it will give you no end of trouble. Change it as soon as you have a chance. By the way, I started to use 100% Synthetic as soon as I bought the bike; (10w30 Castrol Syntec/Edge) or any other brand.
Due to dissimilar components, do not change brands or mix them and stick to one make.
One advantage of using "generic" synthetic oil is that you can buy them on special anywhere (Walmart, etc.) and as for "Motorcycle Synthetic Oil" and their specially formulated product, is all crap for the obvious reason of selling their products at premium prices. If you are so inclined like I am, read this article and learn the scientific facts behind it. I posted several articles detailing all the mods done to my bike; you're welcome to check them and see if you can use any.
file:///F:/The%20Truth%20About%20Motorcycle%20Oils.htm

Cheers

Jorge

·
Registered
44 Posts
Just a suggestion.. since you like to ride in the RED.

Remove the counter balancer all together.. block oil galley for it.
It spins at TWICE the RPM of the bike.. 11k/rpm on bike = 22k/rpm on c/b
While its spinning double time in the crankcase its aerating or "frothing" the oil.
Which lowers oil pressure.. making the bike more vulnerable to the death tap a.k.a. the #3 con rod bearing tapping out.
Especially while riding hard at high rpms for extended periods of time.:eek:hno:

Fill the oil to THE TOP OF THE SIGHT GLASS.
not 2/3.. not 3/4.. why?
because oil gets trapped in the top of the head at high RPMs which starves the oil pump.

Jorge is right..
as a general rule.. you should not mix motor oils.
however..
You can.. you just need to make sure the oil your ADDING IS miscible...
that means it does mix with ANY other motor oil.

The breather would have to be excessively clogged with sludge from
the frosty beer can effect (condensation)..
You can always vent the breather to the atmosphere, and block the
re-uptake port in the airbox.

I would abstain from riding the bike high in the RED until you take preventative measures... or you WILL end up splitting the cases..

Just out of curiosity.. any mods done to your bike?
Or are you rockin stock?

Cheers!
:king:

Jorge.. not a valid web link.. this is a file on your hard drive.
Notice the "F:" drive designation(?)
When posting URL's.. make sure they are "http:"

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Guys ,the bike has always had Mobil 1 from the previous owner and it is stock through and through as far as the in the RED this was a one time thing i rarly ride like that , It was just one of those nights i have had the bike for over 4 years and tour on it once maybe twice a year other than that its 8 miles round trip back and fourth to work .

I have the seal i will attemp to change the seal this weeknd .It has started to leak once again .

Thanks again.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Lurky
Its done new seal installed curious as to the breather thing ? the only thing I have done different is a K & N filter I checked the breather and it does not appear to be clogged at all .

I also noticed the sight glass is not above the center mark it is spot on and your saying it should be full correct .
I was kind of lost when I took the bike to the for an oil change and handed them 4 quarts and received one full quart back even the manual states 3.5 quarts !!
any way if the oil is full to the top and I am not riding it to hard will that make a difference in crank case pressure I am hoping it was just a weak seal ,Thanks again for everyone's input . Do you recommend the blocking off of the breather.

re-uptake port in the air box.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Thanks Lurky
Its done new seal installed
curious as to the breather thing ?
the only thing I have done different is a K & N filter
I checked the breather and it does not appear to be clogged at all .
awesome!..
You mean you installed a K&N air filter in the airbox? correct?
You should re-tune your carbs.. the K&N filter element is different from the stock element.
The surface area of the filter is changed.. it lets a different amount of air in.

What breather "thing"...? this:
re-uptake port in the air box.
I also noticed the sight glass is not above the center mark it is spot on
and your saying it should be full correct .
Yes, I am saying to fill with oil to the TOP of the sight glass.

I was kind of lost when I took the bike to the for an oil change and handed them 4 quarts and received one full quart back even the manual states 3.5 quarts !!
They didnt change your oil correctly.. there are TWO drain plugs..
It seems they only drained from ONE of them..
(and the oil cooler holds a good amount also)

any way if the oil is full to the top and I am not riding it to hard will that make a difference in crank case pressure I am hoping it was just a weak seal
sounds like a old, weak or cooked seal (from low oil level & high heat)
Having the crankcase OVERFILLED is the cause of excessive crank case pressure.

Do you recommend the blocking off of the breather.
If you are trying to squeeze the last lonely HP pony out of it.. yes.

If your breather is functioning normally.. and no obstructions.. and youre not a powerfreeek..
Dont sweat it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks again no leaks ,I thought something was off with the oil and yes K & N in the filter box .. seems to run great was not aware of the re-tuning of the carbs I would have thought that it would have shown some sort of issue if there was a problem with the filter .
Cant thank You and George enough for all you input this place is awesome .

1 - 10 of 10 Posts